Apple's new CarPlay partners include Chrysler, Mazda and more

Dietrichw

Source

Apple and Google are preparing to duke it out in the automotive arena, and the former just nabbed a few more partners to add to its arsenal of allied car makers. The folks in Cupertino quietly updated the CarPlay section of the site to include a handful of new names, including Alfa Romeo, Audi, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat (including those flashy, track-friendly Abarth models), Jeep and Mazda. That brings the full number of CarPlay partners to 31... 

Of course, it's not like these car manufacturers are playing favorites or anything: a majority of them are also members of the Open Automotive Alliance, an organization that's focused on bringing Android Auto into cars as soon as this year. Long story short, you won't just have to worry about financing and trim levels next time you buy a car -- chances are good your smartphone will factor in the decision too.

this is nice, with the "Hey Siri" in iOS 8 (which works really well) use of the phone in the car is really easy.

Now I gotta tell my dad to get a Mazda 6.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Now I gotta tell my dad to get a Mazda 6.

Nah, its all about the Mazda 3 Manual transmission  ;) .

Back on topic, this is going to make in car voice commands and naivagion leaps ahead of what is currently available on the market. 

Personally I don't own an Iphone, but knowing that the voice recognition for siri is alright, I wouldn't actually mind a car with that integration.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Nah, its all about the Mazda 3 Manual transmission  ;) .

Back on topic, this is going to make in car voice commands and naivagion leaps ahead of what is currently available on the market. 

Personally I don't own an Iphone, but knowing that the voice recognition for siri is alright, I wouldn't actually mind a car with that integration.

Yeah. I want to get a car like this, so I don't have to use my dad's phone for GPS, and he can't even see the navigation.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat and Jeep are from the same company (owned my Fiat) so I would of imagined they all would have the CarPlay. Apple maps is kinda terrible so I wonder how the GPS will work and is they are going to be really working on it to get it right

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat and Jeep are from the same company (owned my Fiat) so I would of imagined they all would have the CarPlay. Apple maps is kinda terrible so I wonder how the GPS will work and is they are going to be really working on it to get it right

Audi gets it

VW is not on the lis ;)

AND Maps WAS really terrible when it first got out.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Audi gets it

VW is not on the lis ;)

AND Maps WAS really terrible when it first got out.

Yeah, that's why I love Google Maps.  :wub:

Mazda is thus also ownded by Ford, so I would imagine, some of Ford's linup will have this also.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Mazda is thus also ownded by Ford, so I would imagine, some of Ford's linup will have this also.

No, Mazda and Ford separated years ago, like 2006. But I remembered the partnership. Heck, my dad still drives around a shit MPV, powered by a Ford Engine. He also had a Ford Contour, with the same V6 engine.

Yeah, that's why I love Google Maps.  :wub:

yea, Apple finally got me to switch over now that they've been fixing stuff. Most people give Apple a hard time over maps, but they don't remember the early google maps where it would show you in the middle of a field instead of on a road. creating a map that large is a lot of work and data, which has lots of possibilities for error, I don't think a map service was ever perfect on day one

No, Mazda and Ford separated years ago, like 2006. But I remembered the partnership. Heck, my dad still drives around a shit MPV, powered by a Ford Engine. He also had a Ford Contour, with the same V6 engine.

Yes, but Ford still has a 3% share of Mazda. Ford sold most of its holdings of Mazda in 2010. They are now considered "strategic partner". Just look at the Mazda 2 and the Ford Fiesta, hell they even have an identical interior design, with even the air vents being exactly the same on both cars.

Yes, but Ford still has a 3% share of Mazda. Ford sold most of its holdings of Mazda in 2010. They are now considered "strategic partner". Just look at the Mazda 2 and the Ford Fiesta, hell they even have an identical interior design, with even the air vents being exactly the same on both cars.

Yeah, but that share is seriously marginal. I haven't seen any Ford engines that share Mazda technology or the opposite.

Yeah, but that share is seriously marginal. I haven't seen any Ford engines that share Mazda technology or the opposite.

My Mazda 3 has ford engine...

My Mazda 3 has ford engine...

Yeah, probably because it was a FIRST GEN MAZDA 3. Now it's a full Mazda engine.

Yeah, probably because it was a FIRST GEN MAZDA 3. Now it's a full Mazda engine.

Yup, 1st gen, 2008.

Yup, 1st gen, 2008.

Are you sure it ain't a Mazdaspeed3? 2.3 liter is turbo'ed. 

Are you sure it ain't a Mazdaspeed3? 2.3 liter is turbo'ed. 

Nope, they had a sadan option with either a 2.0L or 2.3L option if you choose a manual transmission. The automatic 4 speed only has the 2.0L option.

Nope, they had a sadan option with either a 2.0L or 2.3L option if you choose a manual transmission. The automatic 4 speed only has the 2.0L option.

Hmm. I didn't know until now. 

Hmm. I didn't know until now. 

Yup, its the Grand Touring Edition. 

Yup, its the Grand Touring Edition. 

Lucky. My 2010 Corolla is pretty much uncomfortable. The only thing I like about it was the 18" powdercoated black TRD rims. Everything else sucks. Too much plastic, waaay too firm seats, and really no headroom because the seats are too huge. But I'm even more ashamed of my 2001 MPV. There's no power steering, no CD, only radio, no AC, no power windows, not even armrests. It's an ugly baby barf green outside, diarrhea brown inside.

But I'm even more ashamed of my 2001 MPV. There's no power steering, no CD, only radio, no AC, no power windows, not even armrests. It's an ugly baby barf green outside, diarrhea brown inside.

Lol, sounds like our 1995 Toyota 1/2 Ton pickup truck, except its tan on the inside and red outside.

Lol, sounds like our 1995 Toyota 1/2 Ton pickup truck, except its tan on the inside and red outside.

Yeah, I'm surprised my minivan even has a V6. It feels like a 80HP I4 pulling it along. It feels soooooooooooooooooooo weak.

Yeah, I'm surprised my minivan even has a V6. It feels like a 80HP I4 pulling it along. It feels soooooooooooooooooooo weak.

Haha.

But I feel as if we are de-railing the thread, so back OT.

stay%20on%20topic.jpg

*Sigh*

Honestly? I know it's nothing new for the automobile industry but it never ceases to amaze me just how fucking stupid people can be when buying cars: They're willing to buy crap models or unnecesarily expensive brand new models just for stupid shit like rims, leather sits and now google or apple branding. If there was ever any argument for forceful redistribution of wealth, people wasting so much on fancy cars should be at the top of the list (and no, good performance, within reason, I don't consider frivolous)

-------

Current Rig

-------

*Sigh*

Honestly? I know it's nothing new for the automobile industry but it never ceases to amaze me just how fucking stupid people can be when buying cars: They're willing to buy crap models or unnecesarily expensive brand new models just for stupid shit like rims, leather sits and now google or apple branding. If there was ever any argument for forceful redistribution of wealth, people wasting so much on fancy cars should be at the top of the list (and no, good performance, within reason, I don't consider frivolous)

yeah, the funny thing is that Kenwood has aftermarket sound systems that have this support and work better than the stock ones also.

planning on putting one of those systems in my car soon, after I get my computer water cooled