i5-4670k + MSI Z87 G55 Overclocking

Hello,

I know this sub-forum probably gets hundreds of these threads and I have been through most that I could find. I can't seem to find a guide for a, for the lack of a better term, "noob". I tried these:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics (this one is really complicated to me)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1722630/intel-god-quick-dirty-guide-4ghz-haswell.html

And I can't understand them because they talk to the reader like they already know the what Core Voltage is etc etc, and I don't. :( So I took to looking at Command Center, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility etc etc. Commander Center looks really organize and easy to access compared to IXTU or even my BIOS but apparently using software to overclock is a really horrible idea. I also hear Prime95 is bad news for Haswell CPUs so I also don't know what software to stress test on.

So I've come here to ask if anyone has any "noob" friendly guides that, if possible, is on MSI bios? I've got my CPU cooled by a CM Hyper 212 EVO, in a CM HAF 912 case—if that helps any. I would at least like to push to 4.0GHz if the temps stay reasonable (until I get a H100i I can't risk too much heat; where I live, it gets hot.).

Thanks for reading and whatnot guys. I am grateful for any and all help.

Have a good day/night! ^_^

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Is there a bios function that lets you change core voltage in your OS like Asus? Bring it up to 4ghz and raise your voltage and your load line calibration.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Is there a bios function that lets you change core voltage in your OS like Asus? Bring it up to 4ghz and raise your voltage and your load line calibration.

In my OS? Well there is Commander Center that has a whole bunch of options, and then there is Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. I've never had an ASUS that could overclock or had the software, so I wouldn't know if it is similar, but I do have the following.

Commander Center: 1 & 2 (the rest is RAMDisk and OC Genie Button related stuff)

IXTU: 1 & 2

Raise my Core Voltage to 4ghz and...I don't know what load line calibration is or if I have it (or goes by that name), so I'll get images of my BIOS up next. I gotta take the pictures outside of the computer though, so it will take a bit.

edit

Okay, no pictures but I went into the BIOS and decided to write down all the "voltage" options avaible:

CPU Core Voltage Mode

CPU Core Voltage

CPU Core Voltage Offset Mode

CPU Core Voltage Offset

CPU GT Voltage Mode

CPU GT Voltage

CPU GT Voltage Offset Mode

CPU GT Voltage Offset

+ CPU SA, CPU IO Analog, CPU IO Digital

All modes were, of course, set to AUTO.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Umm, may I ask just ask "anybody?"? I'm still really confused on what to do here. Use one of the softwares or the BIOS, and what exactly to change?  :blush: 

I know this will not be very helpful but I tend to post these anyway :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHs5_TdpXE&list=WL&index=7

They are for Gigabyte and Asus but main things about whole prodecure stay.

So first lets get terms straight.

Vcore or Core Voltage is that amount of power that CPU will dram from PSU to be able to run. At stock its 1.1-1.2V. Core voltage shouldn't go over 1.3V on Haswells unless you have very good cooling. And in that case for only testing purposes. Higher core voltage means higher temps.

Base clock is amount of MHz that stays constant in every moment. CPUs clock is calculated by multiplying base clock with multiplier.

Multiplier is what is changed. At stock its 34. This is what you will manipulate to overclock.

So things you need to do BIOS in order to OC. Disable TurboBoost. There's no need for that since OC will go far over its limits. Switch both Core Voltage and Multiplier from Auto to what is stock configuration, multiplier 34 and voltage 1.1V. Besides these there's option called Load Line Calibration. I don't quite understand how it really works, but it should effect on how much voltage fluctuates during stress testing. I have set it to maxinum (Extreme) and my voltages will stay at what I have set it to be.

The prodecure is following:

Set multiplier to be 37, don't change voltage. Boot into windows and run stress test. I recommend OCCT for 15mins without wait on beginning and end. If you can finish without crash or BSOD or temps going over 85C, return to BIOS. Up the multiplier with 1 or 2. At this point you should first time need to up the volts. You can set them to 1.2V if you are in anycase going for max OC. Do the stress test again.

At this point few thing. A crash or BSOD meand that your voltage is too low and system isn't stable. If crash occurs, return to BIOS and either up volts or down multiplier. If your temps rise over 85C, your voltage is too high and you should lower it.

Continue until you find max multiplier and lowest voltages you can run it the full 15mins. After this is the real test. Getting something stable for 15mins doesn't mean that it is stable, So you need to run full stress test. Recommended lenght for OCCT is 3h.

I hope this helped. I haven't changed anything else in BIOS than multiplier, voltages and LLC. So you could say I've done just basic OC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

-snip-

Thanks for the reply, LoGiCalDrm! I'm extremely grateful for it. :)

Okay, I'm going to try it. I have two questions so far.

1 ) To revert everything back to stock, can I just use the "default" option? Because I don't remember if I ever changed Core Voltage and Multiplier to auto.

2 ) if I crash, how far should I increase the voltage? In 1 or 2 increments or is it safer to go with something like 5?

3 ) For the 85c temp, you mean during the stress test right? If during the test I hit 85c, change as necessary?

4 ) Do I absolutely need to update my BIOS to overclock? *forgot this one

Lastly, thank you for the help once again! I'm going over the videos right now before I go into my BIOS and then I'll print the post just to be safe.

edit

Also, I plan on using at least two stress tests just to be safe. The one above and Aida64, only, which Aida64 should I download? Extreme, Business or Engineer? :unsure:

1 ) To revert everything back to stock, can I just use the "default" option? Because I don't remember if I ever changed Core Voltage and Multiplier to auto.

2 ) if I crash, how far should I increase the voltage? In 1 or 2 increments or is it safer to go with something like 5?

3 ) For the 85c temp, you mean during the stress test right? If during the test I hit 85c, change as necessary?

4 ) Do I absolutely need to update my BIOS to overclock? *forgot this one

1) Auto is default. You can reset BIOS either by loading optimized default/factory defaults or by clearing CMOS (refer mobo manual for this one). Clearing CMOS is good thing to know if for some reason you can boot anymore.

2) I use 0.05V increasements. Max you should do is 1.3V. Over that is only for testing how high you can get. 1.4V is absolute maxinum for Haswell. Sweetspot would be 1.25-8V for stable OC.

3) Yup. Since stress is more than what regular software use, it marks that you can run your OC for 27/7 without heat problems. Which  temp is high is more to each users own preference. Generally 85C is considered high. My own max limit is actually 87C. Over that is immediedly stop test and lower volts.

4) Not really. Its recommended since latest version is always most stable and offers some imrovements. You should check at mobos site, what newer version bring and do decition according to that. I'm going to update BIOS before trying to OC again (currently on really mild one) since Gigabyte has released update which should help.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1) Auto is default. You can reset BIOS either by loading optimized default/factory defaults or by clearing CMOS (refer mobo manual for this one). Clearing CMOS is good thing to know if for some reason you can boot anymore.

2) I use 0.05V increasements. Max you should do is 1.3V. Over that is only for testing how high you can get. 1.4V is absolute maxinum for Haswell. Sweetspot would be 1.25-8V for stable OC.

3) Yup. Since stress is more than what regular software use, it marks that you can run your OC for 27/7 without heat problems. Which  temp is high is more to each users own preference. Generally 85C is considered high. My own max limit is actually 87C. Over that is immediedly stop test and lower volts.

4) Not really. Its recommended since latest version is always most stable and offers some imrovements. You should check at mobos site, what newer version bring and do decition according to that. I'm going to update BIOS before trying to OC again (currently on really mild one) since Gigabyte has released update which should help.

Thanks for the reply! (:

I'll use that number to increase by too and the same temp. I don't want it to be over 80c, that's for sure. :D

Alright then, I suppose if I encounter problems that I will try to update my BIOS since apparently my BIOS is the oldest update available (A.00) on the official MSI page. lol Once last thing before I start, it concerns the software. Which Aida64 download should I get? I want to run it after OCCT (so that I had two stress tests confirming stability) and am not sure which download is the best to get.

Once again, I'm appreciative for the help LoGiCalDrm! ^_^

@Albatross Can't help you on that one. I use IBT and OCCT only. Maybe I'll test how XTU works but Aida isn't my thing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@Albatross

I personally go with IBT and XTU. IBT seems to be able to produce Instability very well.

Let me know how your OC goes. I have gotten my 4670k up to 4.8Ghz, but I haven't pushed past that due to Inadaquite cooling.

Okay, I definitely decided against updating my BIOS. The site has red text that conflicts with instructions, and then the forum has a stickied thread saying don't use M-Flash or Live Update. They should really clean it up a bit. lol

@LoGiCalDrm

That's cool, I still appreciate all the other help. :) I don't know what IBT is. Does it overheat the CPU like Prime95?

@Casual

How do you stress test with XTU? I didn't see an option for it, but I guess that means I'm out of date. :lol:

Alright, will do. I don't think I'll go that far on air cooling though unless  I have some godlike chip, but I will definitely update the thread with my results! ^_^

@LoGiCalDrm @Casual

Oh! That makes sense. And yup, that stress thing was not there on my current install. I just updated and I can see it there now! Thanks guys. :)

Alright, I'll start my test tomorrow around noon when I'm not tired (I listen Linus, I listened lol) during the overclock attempts. Will be back with some updates for sure. Here's hoping I got a godchip. B)

Okay! Update!

First, I thought I would mention it because I couldn't find it on the internet for hours! In MSI BIOS, it will tell you the frequency, voltage etc etc is "auto", not [auto] and won't allow you to click it to change it. I finally realized you needed to press the "+" or "-" on the numpad to change it. :lol:

I'm sitting on my first overclock of 4.0GHz. First I set it to 3.7ghz with default voltage, ran OCCT for fifteen minutes and didn't get a crash or BSOD. So I went back to the BIOS, upped the frequency (that's what MSI calls it) to 4.0GHz and the voltage up by 0.05. Saved it and rebooted. At first I thought it failed because my monitor wasn't picking up but my computer was still on. I turned the monitor on and off and it was already in Windows (stupid monitor). I then ran the test again for 15mins, no crashes etc etc for 15mins. I then ran XTU for 15mins, no problems.

I took some pictures just in case anyone was interested in all my results:

3.7GHz on OCCT, 15minutes.

4.0GHz on OCCT, 15minutes.

4.0GHz on XTU, 15minutes.

I'd like to make sure my system is very stable so I'm about to run OCCT for six hours...if it makes it. Or maybe just three. After that, I'll do IBT for three-four and then, when I can figure out Aida64, I shall run that three-four. If it passes them, I'll start testing by playing my games etc etc and using it normally. Then I'll push my RAM back up to 1600mhz.

(If temps don't get too hot for the above tests, I'll push my OC to 4.2GHz. )

There is something I couldn't find in my BIOS--load line calibration. Absolutely nowhere. Does it go by another name for MSI? :huh:

If you want to go further here's a quick 4.4GHz overclocking guide for Haswell, with a Hyper 212 you should be able to do at least that:

First things to change in the Bios. Make sure you are on your newest bios before overclocking. 

1. Set "All Core" CPU Multiplier to 44X
2. Set CPU cache Multiplier also called the Ring bus multiplier to 35
3. Set Fixed CPU Vcore to 1.25 -1.30v
4. Set CPU Cache Voltage also could be called Ring Bus voltage to 1.20v -1.25vv
5. Set Vrin also called "CPU Input Voltage" To 1.9v - 2.1v

DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT mix up the "Cpu Voltage" and the "CPU Input Voltage". One is for the CPU and the other for the On Die VRM's. 

Save and reboot into windows. 
Use your favorite Stress tool. I used IBT on High and monitor temps with Realtemp or some other monitoring program.
Run it for 10 Runs or 20 or whoever you feel comfortable with. I run it for 10 usually. If it doesn't blue screen you after the 5th run you could assume you're stable. Again run it for as many times as you want. Get through 10 or 20 runs and no crash? Congratulations you're stable and you can fine tune. 

ibt44_zps3aebe6fe.jpg

cpuz44_zps91cb7de5.jpg

asrockatune12_zps0fee5259.jpg

asrockatune22_zpsf9d0ecf0.jpg

Some extra's. Some bios' will add in a little offset voltage for both the CPU and Cache. Mine was .8 for the CPU and .4 for the Cache. If that happens put the lowest setting you can. Not "Auto" but .01 for each. My ASRock board did but i don't know if yours will.

4.0GHz isn't really much of an overclock at all. So go for 4.4GHz

If you want to go further here's a quick 4.4GHz overclocking guide for Haswell, with a Hyper 212 you should be able to do at least that:

4.0GHz isn't really much of an overclock at all. So go for 4.4GHz

Hi and thanks for the reply & the guide!

That guide reminds me though: I keep seeing conflicting Mode settings suggestions: adaptive and override. And a lot of people say keep it to manual, too. Which is the best setting really?

I definitely want to get at least 4.4GHz out of this chip soon! I think I'll get the 20$ warranty thing too so that I can push even further. :)

But it gets pretty hot where I live and I know that if I push for anything more than 4.2GHz I'm in for a bad time. I'm going to try and push up to 4.2GHz and then 4.4GHz if I can get 4.0GHz stable (so I can save it as a separate profile just in case) and if the temps aren't so bad. If the temps get bad, I'll have to wait on 4.2GHz+ until I can get a better cooling solution. Or find other BIOS options that I can fine tune for temps etc etc.

I think I'll be able to get stable right now. I'm on two hours and twenty minutes  of Aida64 and the max temp I hit is 60c. Here's hoping I reach six hours!

Hi and thanks for the reply & the guide!

That guide reminds me though: I keep seeing conflicting Mode settings suggestions: adaptive and override. And a lot of people say keep it to manual, too. Which is the best setting really?

I definitely want to get at least 4.4GHz out of this chip soon! I think I'll get the 20$ warranty thing too so that I can push even further. :)

But it gets pretty hot where I live and I know that if I push for anything more than 4.2GHz I'm in for a bad time. I'm going to try and push up to 4.2GHz and then 4.4GHz if I can get 4.0GHz stable (so I can save it as a separate profile just in case) and if the temps aren't so bad. If the temps get bad, I'll have to wait on 4.2GHz+ until I can get a better cooling solution. Or find other BIOS options that I can fine tune for temps etc etc.

I think I'll be able to get stable right now. I'm on two hours and twenty minutes  of Aida64 and the max temp I hit is 60c. Here's hoping I reach six hours!

No problem.

In my opinion anything that is not a fixed/manual voltage is not something I want on my computer in the off chance that anything fails and puts too much voltage into my chip. Override is just another word for manual.

As far as worrying about heat, that has to be something you decide. You know the ambient temperatures of your room. For me personally in the summer I always have the air conditioner on so the increased heat outside doesn't really affect my temperatures much. If you don't have an air conditioning in the same room as your computer then try 4.4GHz first and see where the temps are at. As long as you are under 80C you are pretty good. 

Good luck.

No problem.

In my opinion anything that is not a fixed/manual voltage is not something I want on my computer in the off chance that anything fails and puts too much voltage into my chip. Override is just another word for manual.

As far as worrying about heat, that has to be something you decide. You know the ambient temperatures of your room. For me personally in the summer I always have the air conditioner on so the increased heat outside doesn't really affect my temperatures much. If you don't have an air conditioning in the same room as your computer then try 4.4GHz first and see where the temps are at. As long as you are under 80C you are pretty good. 

Good luck.

Ah, then I shall make the edits to my BIOS! And I have an AC but sometimes I turn if off when I don't need it on. Sometimes it isn't hot enough to justify having it on...Oh, I'm gonna go for 4.4GHz now!

Aida64 has been running for six hours now without any problem. Max temps reached 60c and 61c on one core. I did, however, only run it on FPU as I couldn't find an answer on what options to run on. Some said just FPU would be fine for Haswell but I'm beginning to doubt it... Here is a visual report for anyone curious:

YoNkbGG.png

(I just copied what others had running in the background lol)

Should I stop the test now at six hours or push for ten to finalize that my 4.0GHz OC is stable (for profile saving purposes)? If I stop Aida64, should I run three hours of OCCT/IBT again just to be extra sure? :D

As for the temps...does that mean if I can get stress test temps to stay under 80c I can expect a longer life out of my OC'd chip? I'm really confused on the temp thing. :blush:

As for the temps...does that mean if I can get stress test temps to stay under 80c I can expect a longer life out of my OC'd chip? I'm really confused on the temp thing. :blush:

Temps don't really kill CPUs, high voltages do. The fact that you can run stress test under 80C means that you won't hit temps over that in normal situation. There's no software that will put such high load to CPU as stress tests.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Temps don't really kill CPUs, high voltages do. The fact that you can run stress test under 80C means that you won't hit temps over that in normal situation. There's no software that will put such high load to CPU as stress tests.

Oh! I always thought it meant you were going to hit that temp at everyday loads/normal use. :o

Oh! I always thought it meant you were going to hit that temp at everyday loads/normal use. :o

Nah. My highs while gaming are at 60C, stress puts them to 73C. Encoding video gets it bit hotter at 62C.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Nah. My highs while gaming are at 60C, stress puts them to 73C. Encoding video gets it bit hotter at 62C.

Oh! That doesn't seem very hot in comparison. My Acer notebook (horrible, waste of 299$) idles at that. :lol:

Okay...not sure if the voltage is any good but 4.2GHz on vcore of 1.180 is the highest I could go with stability on ten hours of Aida64, three hours of OCCT and three hours of IBT. I tried 4.4GHz but no matter how much voltage I pumped into it, stability issues occurred (instant BSODs on log in screen). Once I went back to my BIOS and the voltage turned 1.300 I stopped. Maybe there are other options I can mess with like LLC (still can't find it) and I have all the modes on Auto because Adaptive was drawing way too much voltage (except that one I mentioned earlier which is at "Fixed mode") but I guess I'll leave it as it is until I learn more.

Image in case anyone is curious:

4AiCIg3.png

• 1 year later...

Hi Albatross - I have exactly the same CPU and motherboard. Reading through this thread has been really helpful!

Could you share with me where on the bios you changed the multiplier? And also the voltage.

I've attached a screen shot from the manual as some of the names of these things are not the same.

Thanks in advance!

motherboard.PNG