Noctua coolers and Node 804

I'm going to upgrade my CPU cooler to a noctua nh-d14 or a noctua nh-d15.

Does the $20 price difference justify its performance?

Also, I have the Node 804 m-atx case and the specifications say that it supports cpu coolers up to 160mm. The nh-d14 is 160mm with fans, and the nh-d15 is 165mm with fans. Will it work, or does that 5mm mean it wont fit at all?

Intel i5-6600K, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Asus MAXIMUS VIII Gene, 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo, 2tb Seagate Barracuda, GTX 1080 EVGA FTW, Thermaltake Core v21, Seasonic M12II 850W

• 6 years later...
On 6/30/2014 at 2:57 PM, descrom93 said:

I'm going to upgrade my CPU cooler to a noctua nh-d14 or a noctua nh-d15.

Does the $20 price difference justify its performance?

Also, I have the Node 804 m-atx case and the specifications say that it supports cpu coolers up to 160mm. The nh-d14 is 160mm with fans, and the nh-d15 is 165mm with fans. Will it work, or does that 5mm mean it wont fit at all?

So? :D after 6 years, did you figured if the NH-D15 fit the Node 804? :)

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2020 at 3:33 AM, GeffaOliveira said:

So? 😄 after 6 years, did you figured if the NH-D15 fit the Node 804? 🙂

I am wondering the same thing 🙂

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4573.93 MHz All Core (CPU-Z), Motherboard: Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT, RAM: Corsair CMT32GX4M2Z3600C14, GPU: Asus ROG Strix LC Radeon RX 6900 XT, Case: Fractal Design Node 804, Storage: Corsair Force MP510 1920 GB x 2, PSU: Corsair AX1600i, Display(s): Asus 27" VG27AQ x 3, Cooling: Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix & Fans: Corsair ML120 Pro x 8, Corsair ML140 Pro x 1 & Noctua NF-A12x15 x 1, Keyboard: Logitech G915, Mouse: Logitech G700, Mouse Pad: SteelSeries I-2 Glass Mouse Pad, Operating Systems: Windows 10 & Ubuntu

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2020 at 5:33 PM, GeffaOliveira said:

So? :D after 6 years, did you figured if the NH-D15 fit the Node 804? :)

On 4/9/2021 at 3:59 PM, Brums said:

I am wondering the same thing 🙂

NH-D15 will fit with one fan in the node 804. If you have low profile memory, you might be able to fit the second fan. 

IMG_20220510_174229.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the bump, but I was wondering the same thing, and this thread is the first result in Google when searching for the Node 804 and the NH-D15.

It depends on the thickness of your motherboard and height of your CPU, but in my case with an Asus Pro WS W680M-ACE SE and Intel Core i5-13500, the case clearance for the CPU cooler was closer to 170mm rather than the 160mm documented in Fractal Design's specs. I managed to fit the NH-D15 with both fans, with around 5mm to spare. The cooler is very close to the plastic side panel, but doesn't actually touch it. Good enough 🙂

On 5/10/2022 at 10:28 AM, Michaeldtsa said:

If you have low profile memory, you might be able to fit the second fan. 

If you want two fans but the second one doesn't fit, you can instead buy a 120mm NF-A12x25 to use as the second fan, and repurpose the second 140mm fan as a case fan. That's what I did in my desktop PC a few years ago. In the new PC I'm building, the motherboard has a different layout (the RAM is right on the edge of the board) so there were no clearance issues.

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2023 at 12:50 AM, Daniel15 said:

Sorry for the bump, but I was wondering the same thing, and this thread is the first result in Google when searching for the Node 804 and the NH-D15.

It depends on the thickness of your motherboard and height of your CPU, but in my case with an Asus Pro WS W680M-ACE SE and Intel Core i5-13500, the case clearance for the CPU cooler was closer to 170mm rather than the 160mm documented in Fractal Design's specs. I managed to fit the NH-D15 with both fans, with around 5mm to spare. The cooler is very close to the plastic side panel, but doesn't actually touch it. Good enough 🙂

If you want two fans but the second one doesn't fit, you can instead buy a 120mm NF-A12x25 to use as the second fan, and repurpose the second 140mm fan as a case fan. That's what I did in my desktop PC a few years ago. In the new PC I'm building, the motherboard has a different layout (the RAM is right on the edge of the board) so there were no clearance issues.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience @Daniel15. I have the same case and the same motherboard as you but with a different processor, an i7-13700. Do you think it will all fit together? On the other hand looking at the motherboard seems like dh-15 could collide with the mobo heatsinks or with the first memory slot at the top of the cpu. Once installed, does it also allow you to remove the M2 heatsink or does it prevent some kind of access to other slots?

Sorry for so many questions and thank you again for your help and time!