R7 260X 5fps in almost all games

So, I've run to some issues with the Sapphire R7 260X recently. I've been experimenting with light overclocks of the card and I'm sure that my PSU is capable of powering the system even with a light overclock. I'm also sure that it's not a thermal issue since the hardware never exceeds 70C under load (case temps range from 35-45C and room temps range from 27-41C with humidity between 10-100%)

My setup:

A8 5600K

Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-DS2 (rev 1.0)

Sapphire R7 260X OC 2xDVI

2 x Kingston Low Profile 4GB 1333MHz RAM
FSP Hexa 600W PSU

GPU Overclock Settings (via Sapphire TRIXX)
GPU Clock -> 1300MHz

Memory Clock -> 1800MHz

Power Limit -> +5

Related processes running are AMD Gaming Evolved, Origin, and Steam, and the games that experienced this are Assassin's Creed (all PC titles until Liberation HD), Battlefield 3, and GTA IV.

After experiencing the problem, I immediately checked the drivers, checked Origin, checked Gaming Evolved, and rebooted the system. However, the problem persisted so I shut the system down and unplugged it for a good 10 minutes. This fixed the problem.

I'm not sure whether this is a hardware or software issue, but I highly suspect that Origin was interfering with Gaming Evolved enough to affect the other games (which are also tied to the Gaming Evolved App).

Your overclock on the card could not be working. Take it back to stock and see what it does then.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I had similar issues when I was still fine-tuning my GPU OC, so as suggested above, try reducing it back to stock and see if it happens again.

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R CPU: Intel i7 2600k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo w. 2x Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX670 SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 HDD: Random WD 500GB (It's old) PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w. 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial in pull Mobo: ASUS Maximus VII Hero RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 MHz GPU: ASUS GTX780 DCUII SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo HDD: WD Green 3TB PSU: Corsair AX860i

Monitor: BenQ 24" XL2410T Keyboard: Logitech G19 Mouse: Logitech G500 Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Digital Headphones: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

Reduced it to stock for now, but the same problem appears when it is the night of a blue moon on friday the 13th when all the planets and the moon align.

Anyway, the above settings worked fine until I launched Battlefield 3. I'm on stock clocks right now and I'm also certain that the CPU, mobo, and RAM are bottlenecking my GPU (I never get the benchmarked frame rates).

I play tested several light overclocks of the GPU and kept the power limit below +10 as per suggestion of a review that I read (higher power limits degraded the performance of the card).

It's a really rare issue which doesn't bother me too much but I do know that increasing GPU clock to 1250MHz and VRAM clock to 1800 and the power limit to +1 is a stable and safe overclock.

• 2 weeks later...

Reduced it to stock for now, but the same problem appears when it is the night of a blue moon on friday the 13th when all the planets and the moon align.

Anyway, the above settings worked fine until I launched Battlefield 3. I'm on stock clocks right now and I'm also certain that the CPU, mobo, and RAM are bottlenecking my GPU (I never get the benchmarked frame rates).

I play tested several light overclocks of the GPU and kept the power limit below +10 as per suggestion of a review that I read (higher power limits degraded the performance of the card).

It's a really rare issue which doesn't bother me too much but I do know that increasing GPU clock to 1250MHz and VRAM clock to 1800 and the power limit to +1 is a stable and safe overclock.

open msi afterburner and see if the card is reaching 100% load. if not open task meanger and check if ram or cpu is getting 100% load while gaming 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

open msi afterburner and see if the card is reaching 100% load. if not open task meanger and check if ram or cpu is getting 100% load while gaming 

I figured it out... Sometimes the Catalyst drivers would just fail. It won't lead to a blue screen and the system will work normally outside of 3d, hardware rendering but you need to reboot to get the driver fully recovered.

It must've been the recent power outages that damaged the driver files in some way...

Anyway, ran chkdsk C: /R and reinstalled the latest stable driver (not the beta ones) and the problem is fixed...

Also did some overclocking tests at 1250MHz, 1800MHz, +1% and got a stable 60-230fps (720p) in CoD:MW...

I figured it out... Sometimes the Catalyst drivers would just fail. It won't lead to a blue screen and the system will work normally outside of 3d, hardware rendering but you need to reboot to get the driver fully recovered.

It must've been the recent power outages that damaged the driver files in some way...

Anyway, ran chkdsk C: /R and reinstalled the latest stable driver (not the beta ones) and the problem is fixed...

Also did some overclocking tests at 1250MHz, 1800MHz, +1% and got a stable 60-230fps (720p) in CoD:MW...

is that mw3 i had problem with mw3 running at 15fps while bf is running at 60-50. I just overclocked my cpu, got 90fps 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

Try max out the power limit. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Try max out the power limit. 

Can't risk overheating the card... Also, going beyond +10% did more harm than good at the clock speeds I'm aiming for...

is that mw3 i had problem with mw3 running at 15fps while bf is running at 60-50. I just overclocked my cpu, got 90fps 

I haven't OC tested MW3 yet but BF3 got me a stable 45-120... But based on the differences between the MW engine and the BF engine, I think it will be around 45-140 im MW3 720p Ultra (I can't test it at 1080p since the rest of the system bottlenecks the card at that resolution...)

Can't risk overheating the card... Also, going beyond +10% did more harm than good at the clock speeds I'm aiming for...

I haven't OC tested MW3 yet but BF3 got me a stable 45-120... But based on the differences between the MW engine and the BF engine, I think it will be around 45-140 im MW3 720p Ultra (I can't test it at 1080p since the rest of the system bottlenecks the card at that resolution...)

i think if you don't meet minimal req. in mw3 the game runs at low fps on purpose. 

i think if you don't meet minimal req. in mw3 the game runs at low fps on purpose. 

I can run it at a playable fps at 720p maxed...

my rig's specs are on my sig...

I can run it at a playable fps at 720p maxed...

my rig's specs are on my sig...

why are you playing in 720p? 

why are you playing in 720p? 

Because my monitor is 768p and I'm trying to stay within a decent standard (for comparison)... Also I don't have a 1080p monitor and I can't downsample...

Because my monitor is 768p and I'm trying to stay within a decent standard (for comparison)... Also I don't have a 1080p monitor and I can't downsample...

neither do i mine is 900p but at least its 75hz so i got that going for me witch is nice