Upgrading from Nikon D3200

Hello LTT!

I'm looking to eventually upgrade from my Nikon D3200 to a Nikon D810 when I'm making some money off of my Photography and when I get around 20-35K photos on the current.

Is the D810 a good upgrade option from the D3200?

Thanks.

Looking for a Programming Project take a look here!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

That'd be quite the upgrade. You'll need to make sure you know how to use the camera and MAKE SURE YOU GET SOME GOOD GLASS! i.e. 24-70 F/2.8 70-200 f/2.8 50mm F1.8 or 1.4 

Don't just buy the camera and get some crappy 18-55mm lens or 55-300mm. 

Also, don't buy the camera if you're still shooting in the AUTO setting. 

A 35k shutter count is nothing.

As @TheDoubleYGamer said, don't bother upgrading the body unless you have decent glass.

Honestly though, while there are probably very informed people here, you're likely to get better answers on an actual camera forum, and if you're looking at that kind of body you should already have a pretty good idea if it's right for you or not ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That'd be quite the upgrade. You'll need to make sure you know how to use the camera and MAKE SURE YOU GET SOME GOOD GLASS! i.e. 24-70 F/2.8 70-200 f/2.8 50mm F1.8 or 1.4 

Don't just buy the camera and get some crappy 18-55mm lens or 55-300mm. 

Also, don't buy the camera if you're still shooting in the AUTO setting. 

I'm way out of Auto :)

A 35k shutter count is nothing.

As @TheDoubleYGamer said, don't bother upgrading the body unless you have decent glass.

Honestly though, while there are probably very informed people here, you're likely to get better answers on an actual camera forum, and if you're looking at that kind of body you should already have a pretty good idea if it's right for you or not ;)

Any forum recommendations?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

@AustinB I like FredMiranda.com, dpreview is fairly popular. What gear do you already have? Also, why do you think you need to upgrade to the D810? Just curious.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

The D810 is one hell of a jump. A used D800 will save you money for better glass. The market will get flooded with used D800's now that a newer model is out. 

The D810 is one hell of a jump. A used D800 will save you money for better glass. The market will get flooded with used D800's now that a newer model is out. 

What do you resume the Mark-Down will be from the original price? (%)

What lenses do you currently have/are planning to buy?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Since you currently don't have any lenses for full frame (I'm guessing) a D610 (or D600) would be a better option coupled with some good lenses (50mm F1.4, 24-70 F2.8)

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

@AustinB I like FredMiranda.com, dpreview is fairly popular. What gear do you already have? Also, why do you think you need to upgrade to the D810? Just curious.

Not Much I'll have info on what I'm planning on getting soon below.

Just a future thought.

What lenses do you currently have/are planning to buy?

I have the

Planning on getting

Since you currently don't have any lenses for full frame (I'm guessing) a D610 (or D600) would be a better option coupled with some good lenses (50mm F1.4, 24-70 F2.8)

Ok.

snip

I'd get some better glass before you get a camera. Cheap body and great glass give you better images than an expensive body and cheap glass

Get a 24-70 F/2.8 and/or a 70-200 F/2.8 before you get a new camera. Just my opinion though.

Yeah, the Using a D800/D810 with non-pro lenses will actually make your photos look worse.  Save up for  nicer lenses. Also, what do you plan on shooting?  If you are taking sports photos, an APSC/crop sensor may be better than a full frame one.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

Yeah, the Using a D800/D810 with non-pro lenses will actually make your photos look worse.  Save up for  nicer lenses. Also, what do you plan on shooting?  If you are taking sports photos, an APSC/crop sensor may be better than a full frame one.

Portraits, Landscape, Wildlife, and Weather

Do you really need the 85mm 1.4? The 85mm 1.8 is just as good with a 3rd of the price. You could get the 1.8 version and have $1000 left over for more lenses. However it's your money, but stop and ask yourself are you really going to use that 1 extra stop for $1000 more. Heck that left over $1000 could go into buying a nice body. 

Do you really need the 85mm 1.4? The 85mm 1.8 is just as good with a 3rd of the price. You could get the 1.8 version and have $1000 left over for more lenses. However it's your money, but stop and ask yourself are you really going to use that 1 extra stop for $1000 more. Heck that left over $1000 could go into buying a nice body. 

D810 is top of the line for that kind of a camera (high MP). The D4S however is only 16MP, but has 11FPS capabilities. So it depends on OP's needs. D810 might be the best camera for him. 

Hm, thanks!