Noctua fans in a case... pressure or flow? Silverstone PS07

Gachr
Go to solution Solved by TLBranch,

I went with 2 F12's for my rad, 2 P12's for my front (mesh and cover) and 2 S12's for the open/std case openings (back and bottom)...Thermaltake Urban S31 case

Hello, I have the Silverstone PS07 and I want to install a few Noctua fans there, but I don't know which to pick.

The "rules" Linus is always talking about are pretty simple, F series (pressure) for radiators, heatsinks etc. and S series (air flow) for the case, but I got pretty confused.

Confused by a video by JayzTwoCents, he talked about his own rig in the 900D and he said that it is actually better to mount SP fans in his case, that it gives better performance because the air needs pressure to get through filters, vents etc.

My case is pretty "closed" with vents on the sides, so I don't know which to pick. I will be going with PWM fans, it doesn't matter to me price wise because at my shop all Noctua 120mm fans cost the same, F series, S series and their PWM variants - all cost the same.

Thanks for help.

static pressure is best for everything really, just more balanced all across rather than airflow being good for only one thing which is have more air enter the case, but if you put a fan in front and its aimed at the gpu, static pressure will put more air to the gpu than airflow since that will just spread the air into the entire chassi(in theory)

so static pressure is just goo all round.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Fill it with NF-F12s I did that and they work well at the front, with heatsinks/rads and exhaust equally well (I use an S series for my case exhaust)

I would go for a pressure fan (like the nf-f12) even if you're looking at an intake flow fan.

Why ? First because there isn't much of a difference in terms of airflow performance between the flow series (S) and the pressure series (F), but there is one in terms of pressure applications, as shown in following graph.

noctua_120mm_fans_comparison.jpg

Secondly, because as soon as your fans are going to run a few seconds, you're going to have a positive pressure inside the case (depending on your fan placements, but that's what you should aim for anyway). So at that point, the pressure fans are going to be useful, to build up a higher positive pressure and to keep on pushing flow.

Lastly, if the fan is mounted on a mesh, or anything restricting the flow, the pressure series is going to perform better. 

So for all these reasons, go for the pressure optimized fan.

Spoiler

Thank you all for the answers, you helped me a lot :)

Okay, one more question, previously I meant my front which looks like this (the pic), but what about the exhaust (standard PC case exhaust)? Shall I go with an S-series fan?

I already feel that high pressure fans are needed, performance of the stock fans sucks with closed door.

If you have something to add, you're very welcome to :)

PS07-06.jpg

@refresh

I went with 2 F12's for my rad, 2 P12's for my front (mesh and cover) and 2 S12's for the open/std case openings (back and bottom)...Thermaltake Urban S31 case

Why P12 instead of F12?

wanted the little extra quiet quality on the P12 but in the end there was no noticeable sound difference so could have gone with the F12 for the extra static pressure 

wanted the little extra quiet quality on the P12 but in the end there was no noticeable sound difference so could have gone with the F12 for the extra static pressure 

Okay, thanks a lot :)