Do you use NFC?

NSA

It seems every new smartphone/tablet that comes out people want nfc built into it. For me my past two phones have had nfc built in (galaxy nexus and nexus 5) and I have never used or seen the possibility of using nfc. My question is if you do use how do you use it. If not is it something you want

Used it a few times to share photos with my friends m7. It was a pain to get working..

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

I do. NFC tags. I have one in my wallet (turns on/off wireless.) I have one in my house on the wall for people to connect to the wireless network without disclosing the password (also a QR code beside it), one on my desk to enable an FTP server on my phone for (wireless) file transfer. It's great.

I used in Beijing to pay the subway fare, but I haven't used in any other places.

NFC never really cought on where I live.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It's not really been very widely implemented where I live, so I've never had need of it, and haven't seen any need to invest in NFC tags.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

really? surprised about the lack of interest. in my high school, I got the galaxy s3 right when it came out. i got a bunch of crap for it being a huge phone. fast forward to now, and half the school has s3/s4. Its a stupid easy way to share links, pictures, and contact info with people. 

I have used it once to give a photo to a friend. I wish I had more opportunities to use it though.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

@NSA Your username and Avatar are pure gold. Scared the crap out of me at first though... If you were asking questions about data storage or collection I probably would have freaked :D

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I'm actually glad that the NFC hype train is dying off now.

Don't get me wrong! NFC is an important technology specification in the grand scheme of things. It is also a much older technology than many people realize.

With that said, NFC on a smartphone is silly, impractical, and insecure. Not to be a prick here, but if you actually believe that smartphone NFC is of any actual use, then you are simply full or yourselves. 

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I'm actually glad that the NFC hype train is dying off now.

Don't get me wrong! NFC is an important technology specification in the grand scheme of things. It is also a much older technology than many people realize.

With that said, NFC on a smartphone is silly, impractical, and insecure. Not to be a prick here, but if you actually believe that smartphone NFC is of any actual use, then you are simply full or yourselves. 

Weren't there a couple of motherboards on the Z87 platform that had NFC? For that purpose I actually quite like it. Just like wireless charging, if I can wireless-ly (not a word but I'm gonna use it anyway) transfer photos and contacts from my phone to my PC I am happy to do so.

I've never found a use for it.. I tired to use it once and it didn't work right and was pissing me off, so I decided it wasn't worth it and have never used it. Nothing as every really made me think about going back and getting it work either..

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

No. I dont have a device that supports it (iPhone 3g, lol) but wouldnt use it if i could because i dont see any uses for it and its probably hard to get working

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Weren't there a couple of motherboards on the Z87 platform that had NFC? For that purpose I actually quite like it. Just like wireless charging, if I can wireless-ly (not a word but I'm gonna use it anyway) transfer photos and contacts from my phone to my PC I am happy to do so.

I can perhaps see this working IF implemented correctly, like a data transfer with smart cards and security devices, with them happily sitting on top of the case. But I cannot tolerate the NFC smartphone idea. I saw it, and still see it, as a marketing spiel, where manufacturers shout out loud:  " Look at this fancy feature that the iPhone does not have! It is not useful? WHO CARES!"

BTW wirelessly is an actual word.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I can perhaps see this working IF implemented correctly, like a data transfer with smart cards and security devices, with them happily sitting on top of the case. But I cannot tolerate the NFC smartphone idea. I saw it, and still see it, as a marketing spiel, where manufacturers shout out loud:  " Look at this fancy feature that the iPhone does not have! It is not useful? WHO CARES!"

BTW wirelessly is an actual word.

I agree that phone to phone NFC has fairly limited usefulness. But I would pay a premium for a MoBo that had NFC support so I could transfer files without digging out a USB cable, as I have a chi backplate on my S4 to charge wirelessly, so I almost never have to deal with a micro USB cable.

I thought wirelessly was a word, but the spell check seems to have its own ideas... 

No but I've been thinking about getting some NFC tags to try it out. 

I have never used the NFC on my phone, and don't really have any plans to. I don't think I've used it anywhere else either, though if Nintendo does something really cool with the Amiibo thing (not sure if that technically uses NFC, but it's something very similar) then I might end up getting some even though I don't see why it needs to be THAT technology. Everything that seems possible to do with Amiibo seems like it would also be just as possible and much more convenient for me if Nintendo would simply have an actual online service.

But yeah, never found any existing uses for NFC that would be more convenient than the alternatives.

I have never used the NFC on my phone, and don't really have any plans to. I don't think I've used it anywhere else either, though if Nintendo does something really cool with the Amiibo thing (not sure if that technically uses NFC, but it's something very similar) then I might end up getting some even though I don't see why it needs to be THAT technology. Everything that seems possible to do with Amiibo seems like it would also be just as possible and much more convenient for me if Nintendo would simply have an actual online service.

But yeah, never found any existing uses for NFC that would be more convenient than the alternatives.

The Amiibo may be using "Nintendo technology" AKA a proprietary implementation, but it is, by definition, NFC.

I use it all the time between my N5 and N7. With others, not too often. Most people are shocked when I tell them they can do that. Phone salesman need to do a better job going over the features with people

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)