Boot times - Bios Mode

Hey.

I came across a topic on this board and also anandtech that talked about how windows should be installed from uefi media to take advantage of fast boot and such. I'm experiencing pretty slow startup speeds on a new build and was wondering if this was the issue. I did not install using uefi mode, but I have fast mode enabled on my bios.

Also, when running msinfo32, the Bios Mode states it's legacy. Does this mean anything? I don't really understand how the uefi vs legacy argument works and would appreciate any insight. Specs are in sig. Using windows 8.1

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Hey.

I came across a topic on this board and also anandtech that talked about how windows should be installed from uefi media to take advantage of fast boot and such. I'm experiencing pretty slow startup speeds on a new build and was wondering if this was the issue. I did not install using uefi mode, but I have fast mode enabled on my bios.

Also, when running msinfo32, the Bios Mode states it's legacy. Does this mean anything? I don't really understand how the uefi vs legacy argument works and would appreciate any insight. Specs are in sig. Using windows 8.1

You installation is still in BIOS mode not UEFI. In order to install Windows 8 in fully UEFI mode you need to disable Compatibility Support Module also known as CSM. You can then enable fastboot and proceed with your installation. However you do need to re-install windows as there is no way to simply convert the installation. But bare in mind all your components have to UEFI compatible. This shouldn't be a issue for your build at least according to you signature. The advantage of having UEFI is that start-up is faster (all devices are checked simultaneously during post rather than separately) and it allows for additional security measures such as secure boot which allows Windows Boot Manager to take over during post this prevents unverified programs from loading during boot. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

You installation is still in BIOS mode not UEFI. In order to install Windows 8 in fully UEFI mode you need to disable Compatibility Support Module also known as CSM. You can then enable fastboot and proceed with your installation. However you do need to re-install windows as there is no way to simply convert the installation. But bare in mind all your components have to UEFI compatible. This shouldn't be a issue for your build at least according to you signature. The advantage of having UEFI is that start-up is faster (all devices are checked simultaneously during post rather than separately) and it allows for additional security measures such as secure boot which allows Windows Boot Manager to take over during post this prevents unverified programs from loading during boot. 

Thanks for the reply.

I've made an UEFI bootable usb drive that has my windows installation on it. How to I disable CSM? After I've done that, would I just boot from the uefi usb and install as normal, as if it were from a CD?

Also, I'm not sure if my gpu have a uefi or legacy bios. There's some users on msi forums requesting uefi bios and receiving them, which suggests that the gpu may not come shipped with an uefi bios. How can I be sure?

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Thanks for the reply.

I've made an UEFI bootable usb drive that has my windows installation on it. How to I disable CSM? After I've done that, would I just boot from the uefi usb and install as normal, as if it were from a CD?

Also, I'm not sure if my gpu have a uefi or legacy bios. There's some users on msi forums requesting uefi bios and receiving them, which suggests that the gpu may not come shipped with an uefi bios. How can I be sure?

you have a GTX 770? All cards from Nvidia that are on the Kepler architecture support UEFI so GTX 650 and above should be fine. CSM setting is in BIOS at the boot menu. Then you can normally boot from the USB and install Windows. I have a GTX 770 and Maximus VI Extreme (see signature) and UEFI works perfectly on my system. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

you have a GTX 770? All cards from Nvidia that are on the Kepler architecture support UEFI so GTX 650 and above should be fine. CSM setting is in BIOS at the boot menu. Then you can normally boot from the USB and install Windows. I have a GTX 770 and Maximus VI Extreme (see signature) and UEFI works perfectly on my system. 

Okay, so you didn't have to flash the bios or anything?

Also, I looked at the CSM and secure boot menus on the bios, and can't quite understand the settings. I was wondering if you could provide a screenshot of what your settings would be like? It would be extremely helpful when I reinstall windows in uefi mode.

Okay, so you didn't have to flash the bios or anything?

Also, I looked at the CSM and secure boot menus on the bios, and can't quite understand the settings. I was wondering if you could provide a screenshot of what your settings would be like? It would be extremely helpful when I reinstall windows in uefi mode.

Here it is shown as enabled just disable the one that says "Launch CSM"

post-18995-0-97842900-1403644269_thumb.j

You could convert to whole hard drive to a GPT partition (UEFI) without losing data but not sure if it would work with Windows 8 also: http://sdnalloh.com/converting-win7-from-mbr-to-gpt/

I used this method to convert my Windows 7 to GPT before upgrading to Windows 8. I don't think all your components have to be UEFI because I had a non UEFI 7950 before and it booted fine with UEFI. Having UEFI on the GPU will help make the boot faster. I'll have to check on the CSM also. Thanks for the tip @Assassin. :) 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You could convert to whole hard drive to a GPT partition (UEFI) without losing data but not sure if it would work with Windows 8 also: http://sdnalloh.com/converting-win7-from-mbr-to-gpt/

I used this method to convert my Windows 7 to GPT before upgrading to Windows 8. I don't think all your components have to be UEFI because I had a non UEFI 7950 before and it booted fine with UEFI. Having UEFI on the GPU will help make the boot faster. I'll have to check on the CSM also. Thanks for the tip @Assassin. :)

Maybe CSM is still enabled so that you GPU works. Run msinfo32 and check BIOS mode on weather it says legacy or UEFI :D

Here it is shown as enabled just disable the one that says "Launch CSM"

Thanks for that, is there any particular settings for the "Secure boot" menu?

Thanks for that, is there any particular settings for the "Secure boot" menu?

Just set it to Windows. Secure boot is optional its not needed at all to run UEFI but it is a very nice feature to prevent malicious programs from executing during boot. 

Just set it to Windows. Secure boot is optional its not needed at all to run UEFI but it is a very nice feature to prevent malicious programs from executing during boot. 

Okay, thanks for the help.

I have one final question which is somewhat off topic. You have the same line of motherboard as me - did you download any USB drivers or are they included in the chipset drivers? My friend has an ASrock and suggests I need to download seperate usb drivers to get full functionality, but they seem to be funcitoning fine, plus I can't find any usb drivers on asus support page anyway.

Okay, thanks for the help.

I have one final question which is somewhat off topic. You have the same line of motherboard as me - did you download any USB drivers or are they included in the chipset drivers? My friend has an ASrock and suggests I need to download seperate usb drivers to get full functionality, but they seem to be funcitoning fine, plus I can't find any usb drivers on asus support page anyway.

The default drives from Windows worked for me just fine. But I did install updates from Asus's website. 

The default drives from Windows worked for me just fine. But I did install updates from Asus's website. 

What drivers should I look for on the website? I can't find anything that could be related to usb besides the chipset.

Also, is it necessary to do all the bios changes first, such as fast boot, disabling csm etc, before installing windows? What would happen if I install windows first?

What drivers should I look for on the website? I can't find anything that could be related to usb besides the chipset.

Also, is it necessary to do all the bios changes first, such as fast boot, disabling csm etc, before installing windows? What would happen if I install windows first?

Yes you need to do the BIOS changes first. If you install Windows without disabling csm then it will end up being a legacy install. 

Yes you need to do the BIOS changes first. If you install Windows without disabling csm then it will end up being a legacy install. 

Okay, thanks alot for all the help, really appreciated.

I reinstalled, and windows is now in UEFI mode according to msinfo32. But boot times haven't increased even by a little bit. Do I need to change anything else in bios? Fast boot is enabled on w8.1 and bios.

I keep getting an event viewer error: The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&2. It's supposedly to do with the AMDA00 interface driver on asus rog motherboards. Do you get the error?