How I Got Boot Times Down to 9 Seconds

Fate

A few days ago I got my 256GB MX100 and it's awesome; however, the boot times seemed a bit slow. I was originally getting around 35 second boot times so I decided to figure out what was wrong. 

1. I didn't install Windows with AHCI on accident, this was a quick fix by editing the registry and changing the setting in the UEFI/BIOS, this reduced boot times by about 7-10 seconds.

2. I plugged in my SSD and Hard Drive into different SATA controllers 

3. Disabled everything that is unneeded in the UEFI/BIOS (like HD Audio etc) (I use G930's which are USB)

4. Deleted the restore points on my hard drive (freed up about 40 gigs and reduced boot times by a significant amount on my ssd for some reason)

I figured I would write this so people can get their boot times as low as possible. The 24 seconds I save when booting doesn't seem like much for the effort but it adds up tremendously. 

Edit: Windows 7

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I recently got a 250gb samsung 840 evo and i did all it says here : http://www.maketecheasier.com/12-things-you-must-do-when-running-a-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7/ . My boot time is about 10 seconds , of which 7 is actually my fuckin mobo being shithead , and 3 is my os loading . I have an old oem asus h61 mobo and can't disable stuff in bios so that'll be the smallest boot time for me

You can bring it down to 4 to 6sec.

What you need (please ready fully before doing):

-> A motherboard that is FULLY UEFI supported (by today, they should be)

-> Graphics card BIOS (vBIOS/Firmware, which ever you want to call it) upgraded to be GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) ready (please note, that if you do this, the graphics card will no longer work on BIOS based computers anymore. The upgrade to do this should be on the manufacture website, if your graphics card supports it). Intel integrated graphics has both GOP ready and legacy firmwares which it switch between accordingly based on the UEFI settings you set, as it can access it. It would be nice if graphics card manufacture added a switch on the card to which between firmware, so you don't have to break your head with this upgrade, and hope nothing fails. Oh well. One day, maybe.

-> Be sure to Disable CSM (Compatibility support module), which is the system that support legacy graphics card (those who aren't GOP ready), else it won't boot, after you did the GOP firmware upgrade

-> Fast SSD

-> Disable the number of components enabled in your UEFI screen that you don't use. You can disable COM ports, if any, disable SATA controllers not used, firewire, and so on.

-> Be sure all used SATA controller are in AHCI mode

-> Windows 8.x. Windows 8.x and select Linux distribution OSs are FULLY UEFI ready which will allow to boot so fast.

Note: The above is something I did not try (just research extensively), as I don't have the hardware (too old) to do. So do at your own risk. My Surface Pro 2 boots from power button press to desktop in 6sec, and if you count from the screen powering up, it is 4sec.

The mentioned measures for the Surface Pro 2 boot time, is with the out of the box Windows 8.1 install. The system comes junk free, and no modification done on my part or by Microsoft were done. Everything (services, and windows options) are at Windows default. Also, keep in mind that Microsoft keeps its super super clean. Meaning it is so clean, you don't even have drivers control panels. No software starts with the system. Keyboard special keys uses Windows 8 built-in support, and not an overlay software to re-invent the wheel for some reason that OEMs like to put. That is what I call clean.

All I did was add an SSD to my system and it only takes 5-6 seconds for my system to boot

All I did was add an SSD to my system and it only takes 5-6 seconds for my system to boot

From Power button 'click' sound to desktop?

I get around 5-6 secs to boot, I can reboot and log in faster than it takes to log out on my school's computers

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

From Power button 'click' sound to desktop?

From click to desktop it's about 7-8 seconds. But from very start of windows "Starting Windows" screen to desktop is about 5-6 seconds.

9 whole seconds :unsure: 

Between my M4 boot drive and MSI Fast Boot, I'm up in like 5 seconds. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

From click to desktop it's about 7-8 seconds. But from very start of windows "Starting Windows" screen to desktop is about 5-6 seconds.

I am saying from the click of the power button to desktop in 6sec is what is possible.