Questions regarding - AKG Q701

Fenzee

Hey Guys,

My headset (Tritton Ax720) recently broke and I am currently looking for a new pair of drivers.

After looking around, I found the AKG Q701 going for 150 usd on Massdrop.

I have a few questions regarding the product:

-Is it worth the money? (I will be gaming and listening to music. This will be my first time going with an audiophile headset ) 

-Will onboard audio be adequate for running these or will I need an amp/dac? If not, what would you recommend that blow my wallet away for under 100 dollars.

-Would you guys consider a Mod mic attachment?

Thanks.

Alex.

CPU: 2500k 4.6 Ghz 1.38V   Cooler: CM Seidon 120M   Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V   Memory: Patriot 1600 Mhz (4x4Gb)   GPU: MSI Twin Frozer 3 7950 (1100/1500)  

Storage: Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb, Seagate 500Gb,  HGST 1Tb   PSU: OCZ 700W   Monitor: Dell ST2420L   Mouse: Razer Naga 2012   Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Ultimate (Mx Blues)  

1) I'd say it is worth the money.

2) Yes, you could possibly need an amplifier. I'm not experienced in this field, but maybe something from Fiio could do the job.

3) A Modmic could work, but it may pick up some of the sound leakage from the earcups. You could otherwise go with something like a blue Snowball if you don't want that.

1. Yes

You may need an amplifier. The $40 Syba DAC/amp combo unit would fit the bill nicely, or a Fiio amp.

A modmic would be an excellent purchase and would be extremely unlikely to puck up leakage from the earcups

1. Yes
  2. You may need an amplifier. The $40 Syba DAC/amp combo unit would fit the bill nicely, or a Fiio amp.
  3. A modmic would be an excellent purchase and would be extremely unlikely to pick* up leakage from the earcups

I second this, but the real test is if SSL can answer my questions regarding my existence. 

1) I'd say it is worth the money.

2) Yes, you could possibly need an amplifier. I'm not experienced in this field, but maybe something from Fiio could do the job.

3) A Modmic could work, but it may pick up some of the sound leakage from the earcups. You could otherwise go with something like a blue Snowball if you don't want that.

1. Yes
  2. You may need an amplifier. The $40 Syba DAC/amp combo unit would fit the bill nicely, or a Fiio amp.
  3. A modmic would be an excellent purchase and would be extremely unlikely to puck up leakage from the earcups

Which Fiio amp would you guys recommend?

CPU: 2500k 4.6 Ghz 1.38V   Cooler: CM Seidon 120M   Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V   Memory: Patriot 1600 Mhz (4x4Gb)   GPU: MSI Twin Frozer 3 7950 (1100/1500)  

Storage: Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb, Seagate 500Gb,  HGST 1Tb   PSU: OCZ 700W   Monitor: Dell ST2420L   Mouse: Razer Naga 2012   Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Ultimate (Mx Blues)  

I second this, but the real test is if SSL can answer my questions regarding my existence. 

You haven't asked any yet.

Yes

Shouldn't need one, I run my K702s from a DGX.

Yes, they work perfectly with my K702s, a little tough to mount though.

Yes

Shouldn't need one, I run my K702s from a DGX.

Yes, they work perfectly with my K702s, a little tough to mount though.

lol the dgx has a headphone amp

Which Fiio amp would you guys recommend?

Try it with your onboard first but if it's not loud enough then E6 will be fine but if you want something a little better then the E11. Also Monoprice has this pretty interesting amp where you can plug 4 headphones into it and control the volume individually. Do not know how it performs though. I personally think Monoprice will be the new Fiio for amps and stuff. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/monoprice-4-channel-amp

Try it with your onboard first but if it's not loud enough then E6 will be fine but if you want something a little better then the E11. Also Monoprice has this pretty interesting amp where you can plug 4 headphones into it and control the volume individually. Do not know how it performs though. I personally think Monoprice will be the new Fiio for amps and stuff. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/monoprice-4-channel-amp

Is there a major difference with amp/dac combo vs an amp?

Is there a major difference with amp/dac combo vs an amp?

Meh not really since almost all onboard dacs are just as good nowadays. If you're going for the monoprice it would be just for the sheer convenience of never having to unplug and plug in headphones/speakers. 

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread  :)

lol the dgx has a headphone amp

True, but it's pretty bad. I do run it off inboard a fair bit because the Xonar drivers are so bad. It's just fine from my onboard.

I highly recommend it, for 150 it's a nice deal, and it'll be miles better than your previous headset.

You may need an amp/dac, if you do need one (try it with your onboard first) I recommend something like the Syba dac+ amp off amazon, it's like $40 and comes with a volume wheel.

A modmic could work, a blue snowball could also be had at around $50

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089