Remote Destop in Windows

Can you connect a win 8 pc to a win 7 pc using remote destop.

Yes you can.

Check if it's enabled by: My Computer > Properties > Remote > Remote Desktop.

Just to in case you weren't aware...And for others that aren't.

You can only Remote INTO a Pro (or higher) version of Windows.

But, you can Remote FROM any version.

And I can attest that RDP between Windows versions from XP through 8 has been fairly painless in my experience. That is assuming everything is kosher with your network setup in general.

"Practice static safety, hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

i7-3770K, 16GB, Samsung 840PRO, R9-290X, Corsair 650D

From what i've seen from it it works great - such a shame microsoft thought it was a good idea to make it not possible to remote into a non-pro windows.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

You can remote into a non-pro using Windows Remote Assistance. I helped a friend with the non-pro version of Windows 8 to fix something, connecting from my Windows 7 Home.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Thank You Guys. Linus was right. You guys are the best

You can remote into a non-pro using Windows Remote Assistance. I helped a friend with the non-pro version of Windows 8 to fix something, connecting from my Windows 7 Home.

Doesn't Remote Assistance require a user at the destination computer to begin the session? Although it is an alternative if running to the remote machine isn't a problem for you (or if it is just a lappy sitting next to you). Also if the destination machine is a community machine it would interrupt whoever is using at the time. Where RDP would be invisible if you signed in as a different user. Not sure what the use case of the OP was, so it might work.

I've never needed to use RA as I seem to exist in a Pro environment and on the few machines were RDP isn't possible I use Team Viewer or UVNC.

"Practice static safety, hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

i7-3770K, 16GB, Samsung 840PRO, R9-290X, Corsair 650D

Doesn't Remote Assistance require a user at the destination computer to begin the session? Although it is an alternative if running to the remote machine isn't a problem for you (or if it is just a lappy sitting next to you). Also if the destination machine is a community machine it would interrupt whoever is using at the time. Where RDP would be invisible if you signed in as a different user. Not sure what the use case of the OP was, so it might work.

I've never needed to use RA as I seem to exist in a Pro environment and on the few machines were RDP isn't possible I use Team Viewer or UVNC.

Yeah, you do need a person on the other side to be there for it to happen.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Yeah, you do need a person on the other side to be there for it to happen.

Yes and no, if its one of your computers then you can start TeamViewer and jot the numbers down and and then use those numbers to log into that computer, of course you have to leave that computer on. Can be on the same desk or somewhere else on the InterTubes.

Also, for those of you who don't know you can also rdesktop from Linux to any Windows computer :P (That supports Remote Desktop)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.