AMD: APUs to get 25x more efficient by 2020

hal9001

Remember it's Intel who gave AMD a license to make x86 cpu's, if they decided to be a "d***" about it we would only have ATi now. Also inventing a quadcore/hexacore isn't inventing anymore, any idiot could just stack cores next to each other while ignoring what power it would consume. Inventing the dual core is however inventing. AMD wasn't the first with 6 cores though, Intel was 2 years earlier with a 6 core but Intel was one day later with an eightcore.

First Intel 6 core: http://ark.intel.com/products/36941/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7450-12M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

First AMD 6 core: Opteron 2419

First AMD 8 core: Opteron 61KS

First Intel 8 core: http://ark.intel.com/products/46495

On the desktop side, Intel was earlier with an eightcore but decided to be like you said a "d***" with the 3930K lasercutting 2 cores. We haven't seen anything higher than an eightcore from AMD yet, no wonder if you struggle getting your power consumption under control, their only eightcore atm is just their opteron bulldozer based one thats advertised as a 16 core. Intel is at 18 already or? 

Dominating X86 is quite straight forward; pair highest single core performance with the lowest power consumption you win. Lets not call Intel a "d***" and somehow think AMD is pure love, if they have the feeling they can instantly make an end to AMD by simply offering their 5960x for the price of a 8320 and 5930K for the price of a 4300 - that would destroy the competition completely and Intel playing a monopoly we all will be hating. Whatever made you think Intel is stubborn, blame AMD. Anyways most people will be skeptical about their claim, we have to wait like 2 years to finally see their Zen architecture so I kinda lost my hope in AMD catching up with Intel.

They already did if you can recall what happened when AMD pushed out the Athlon 64 that completely destroyed Intel's offerings (including P4's with HT). Personally I think AMD hasn't been as good ever since simply because of that one reason (Intel threatening to pull x86 licensing like they have before). Maybe with Zen AMD will pull another Athlon 64 especially considering the same guy (Jim Keller) responsible for the Athlon 64 is in charge of the new architecture. Tho looking at current Zen documents published by AMD, it likely AMD is staying true to their APU (Zen may be an APU only architecture). Could explain as to why Steamroller and Excavator both remain APU only architectures (phasing out desktop CPU's in place for future APU solutions).

And in 2020, games will probably use a lot more advanced technology and resources, be more demanding, etc. (I hope ...)

In 2020 the xbox one and ps4 will still be "nexgen" consoles and the primary for a lot of devs. 

I don't think a lot of you read the thread...

AMD is talking about their APUs (more than likely a specific model) being 25x more efficient, and by this they're talking about with energy/power consumption, not in terms of raw graphical or processor power.

Technology moves at an extremely fast pace, especially nowadays, so by 2020 it wouldn't be unrealistic for APUs to potentially run on very little power/energy. Don't think of the here and now; think of the future. AMD's statement may sound far fetched to some people now, but that's because they're thinking of today's AMD. Don't do that. Think of the AMD in 2020.

So do I believe that an APU can potentially run at very little power/energy in the near future? Yes.

COMIC SANS

Yea i know but in modern pcparts those are the worst and the topic is amd

Modern? So 4 years ago is ancient?  Then why is this a conversation... 4 Years ago Nvidia was terrible, now everyones praising them what stops AMD from making a similar leap over the 6 years between now and 2020... Just seems like prejudice and ignorance...

Anyways most people will be skeptical about their claim, we have to wait like 2 years to finally see their Zen architecture so I kinda lost my hope in AMD catching up with Intel.

Giving AMD a licence was because they patenteded a concept before they made it and held AMD back a bit and charged them money iirc, AMD also beat intel to Quadcore, love how you glanced over that considering Quadcores are now a vast portion of the market, and neither of us are CPU designers so I don't think you can just say it's easy to strap cores to each other, and they can't IGNORE heat or power consumption they simply  just don't care as much as intel does and may I remind you intel rates their cpus for 105C granted they rarely ever hit that... but from my basic understanding  of cpu microarchitecture I know above that will melt silicone and causes pins to bend ect, the difference is simply how much they care okay my dates are slightly off on 6 and 8 cores release dates but I never said AMD was winning in core count nor did I specifically mention server CPUs... Intels making money here they have majority market share and they'd loose significant amounts of money trying to beat AMD pricing wise  and in the past Intel has had CPUs at prices that rised when AMD launched their line if it didn't look like good competition(eg the Fx Line up caused the Nehelem and SandyBridge prices to rise) both intel and AMD are stubborn as mules, I was simply trying to point that out and wonder why isit people believe so much in intel when they weren't always King, yet AMD is apparently incapable of making a comeback over a 6Year course from now to 2020

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Modern? So 4 years ago is ancient?  Then why is this a conversation... 4 Years ago Nvidia was terrible, now everyones praising them what stops AMD from making a similar leap over the 6 years between now and 2020... Just seems like prejudice and ignorance...

Giving AMD a licence was because they patenteded a concept before they made it and held AMD back a bit and charged them money iirc, AMD also beat intel to Quadcore, love how you glanced over that considering Quadcores are now a vast portion of the market, and neither of us are CPU designers so I don't think you can just say it's easy to strap cores to each other, and they can't IGNORE heat or power consumption they simply  just don't care as much as intel does and may I remind you intel rates their cpus for 105C granted they rarely ever hit that... but from my basic understanding  of cpu microarchitecture I know above that will melt silicone and causes pins to bend ect, the difference is simply how much they care okay my dates are slightly off on 6 and 8 cores release dates but I never said AMD was winning in core count nor did I specifically mention server CPUs... Intels making money here they have majority market share and they'd loose significant amounts of money trying to beat AMD pricing wise  and in the past Intel has had CPUs at prices that rised when AMD launched their line if it didn't look like good competition(eg the Fx Line up caused the Nehelem and SandyBridge prices to rise) both intel and AMD are stubborn as mules, I was simply trying to point that out and wonder why isit people believe so much in intel when they weren't always King, yet AMD is apparently incapable of making a comeback over a 6Year course from now to 2020

What License are you talking about? The 64 bit? That's years later. AMD & Intel used to be one company, they splitted up and Intel sold them the license to make x86 cpu's so go read again what I've been saying. 

Also AMD wasn't the first with a quad core, their first one was the Opteron 2347 from August 2007 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Opteron_microprocessors#Opteron_2300-series_.22Barcelona.22_.2865_nm.29

Intel had in January 2007 the Xeon X3210 already; http://ark.intel.com/products/28033

AMD doesnt care about power consumption? If they don't they would have brought a 6/8 core Piledriver at 4GHz out to counter the 5960x/5930K that would easily require a custom loop and phasechange/LN2 cooling for 4.3GHz. Nobody was actually saying Intel was always king, true before conroe they were amateurs, AMD was aiming for IPC & Intel purely clocks, these days AMD is mistaking the same mistake Intel was. The 8350's clock for clock performance is comparable to a QX9650 from 2007, zen comes out in 2016, that's almost 10 years. If zen doesnt bring any IPC then it's just done with AMD. If you are hoping for a comeback from AMD after a decade, you might as well hope for Madonna making a comeback.

Nvidia was never horrible. They had a bad 2 years. AMD has had a bad 7.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd