AKG Q701 or Beyerdynamic DT990/Hifiman HE-400

Darth Hideous

Hey guys,

I posted here not too long ago asking about headphones. It's crunch time and I really need to make a decision on what headphones to get. I'm looking for open headphones (to listen to all types of music) and was originally looking at getting the Beyerdynamic DT990s ($250) but with the recommendation of LTT I've steered towards the HifiMan HE-400s ($339). I've just seen that Massdrop have the AKG Q701 for $150. I've looked around at reviews but want to know what your opinions are on them in general, and in comparison with the DT990s and HE-400s. They're a fair bit cheaper, so my assumption was that they wouldn't be as good, but I thought I should probably ask you guys. Just wanted to know if it's worth forking out the $339 for the HE-400s or maybe going for a much cheaper deal. 

Thanks.

PS. I'm not too bothered about bass. I also have a Fiio E17. 

/\  _   /\

=( ಠ__ಠ )=

)         ( 

Q701 and a decent headphone amp ;)

Yep.

I have had them for a while now. Great set of cans.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I've actually been stuck in a very similar quandary.

For me, it came down to amperage. The HE-400's are rather particular from what I've read, and need a pretty good amp to drive them. Because of this I decided to go with the Q701's.

The HE-400's are also being phased out as they've developed a better replacement model.

My planar headphone desires will have to wait until the HE560's drop in price!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I think it's unreasonable to expect us to choose for you. If you don't know what you'll like then how should we know any better? The HE-400 and Q701 are both good headphones.

If honest, all of the ones you suggest have VERY different tones to them and I wouldn't drop that money on any headphone without listening! You are also not including headphones like Senny Mo's and B&W P5's?

I personally really love the sound of planers so if you are willing to spend the money, you should go for one. But the Q701 is a good headphone too so it's really personal choice. 

I think it's unreasonable to expect us to choose for you. If you don't know what you'll like then how should we know any better? The HE-400 and Q701 are both good headphones.

I never asked anyone to choose for me, I asked what people's opinions on the headphones are... 

/\  _   /\

=( ಠ__ಠ )=

)         ( 

Where are you located? HE 400 is $299 on amazon.com. Out of the 3, I'd vote for the HE400. I have one, and drive it with a relatively cheap E10, and it sounds fabulous.

I'm in Australia. Amazon.com often doesn't ship to Australia. 

/\  _   /\

=( ಠ__ಠ )=

)         ( 

If honest, all of the ones you suggest have VERY different tones to them and I wouldn't drop that money on any headphone without listening! You are also not including headphones like Senny Mo's and B&W P5's?

There isn't anywhere near me that have any of these headphones available, so my only option is to go off reviews. I've looked at a lot of different headphones but just wanted people's opinions on these specific headphones. 

/\  _   /\

=( ಠ__ಠ )=

)         ( 

There isn't anywhere near me that have any of these headphones available, so my only option is to go off reviews. I've looked at a lot of different headphones but just wanted people's opinions on these specific headphones. 

That's the problem that highline mentioned. Basically you're asking people to describe the smell of a rose, a jasmine, and a lavender, and asking if you'd like the smell of lavender better than rose. They're all nice smelling, but all got very different smell characteristics. It's kinda hard to describe something so abstract, and put it into proper wording. 

HE400 is a planar headphone, unlike the other 2 which are dynamic. Both type got their own nature of producing sounds. Which one is better, comes down to personal preference, really. Me, I like planars better. Planars tend to produce warmer dan darker tones, but not saying that it doesn't have trebles. 

I did a review about HE400 here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/147451-my-personal-review-of-hifiman-he-400-image-heavy/

Never tried the other 2, so couldn't say which one is better.

Try finding a real audio store, like this one: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/147249-candy-store-for-audio-manias/ where you can audition various types and brands yourself.

I believe there should be at least a few stores like that in the whole continent there. 

hi,

i do own a pair of Q701. The sound is really great. But they are a little uncomfortable at the beginning. Expect about 3 moths untill they're comfortable. They need some time to break in. Same for the speakers.

I never asked anyone to choose for me, I asked what people's opinions on the headphones are... 

Well yes you are, because you're basing your decision on our opinions when it's yours that matters in the end. Describing audio to someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with different headphones is hard.

Well yes you are, because you're basing your decision on our opinions when it's yours that matters in the end. Describing audio to someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with different headphones is hard.

I understand that. It's still nice to know what people personally think even if everyone has different taste. 

/\  _   /\

=( ಠ__ಠ )=

)         ( 

Definitely grab the Q701's while they're on Massdrop.

Done.

/\  _   /\

=( ಠ__ಠ )=

)         (