PWM Fan Support (Noctua Fans)

I am thinking of buying a few Nocuta NF-F12 PWM fans for an upcoming build that I will be making this summer. They are currently only $20 on NCIX US and I was going to pick up a few. What I was wondering if is if there is any compatibility issues with PWM fans. I am looking to probably buy an Asus board, most likely the Maximus V Gene. Before I buy them I wanted to make sure they would be compatible with that board or any motherboard for that matter. So are there any compatibility issues or other problems that could come up with those fans and Asus motherboards? Also, can the Maximus V Gene control both 3 pin and PWM fans? Thanks!

if separately controlling them, you'll use a fan header each. you can use a PWM (4-pin)

fan splitter to use one fan header and 2, 3, 4 fans.

should be no compatibility issues..

airdeano

I don't think it will compatibility issues if you are using one fan on one header. Fan Xpert in AI Suite 2 should be able to control 3pin DC fans or 4pin PWM fans.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

the fans comes with alot of adapters just in case you arnt as flexibal as you thought

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

true, an extension, 5v and 7v low noise adapters are included.

airdeano

and spliter

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I am thinking of buying a few Nocuta NF-F12 PWM fans for an upcoming build that I will be making this summer. They are currently only $20 on NCIX US and I was going to pick up a few. What I was wondering if is if there is any compatibility issues with PWM fans. I am looking to probably buy an Asus board, most likely the Maximus V Gene. Before I buy them I wanted to make sure they would be compatible with that board or any motherboard for that matter. So are there any compatibility issues or other problems that could come up with those fans and Asus motherboards? Also, can the Maximus V Gene control both 3 pin and PWM fans? Thanks!

PWM fans just put it into the 4 pin connector on the motherboard. Its right next to your RAM slots and one more next to the heatsink, according to google images on your motherboard.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

yeah, the ASUS Maximus V GENE only has 5 fan headers..

airdeano