Choppy/low fps on powerful new gaming rig

Vladsky

I am having serious fps issues with a new computer I assembled. Aside from a new exceptions, the majority of games I run struggle to get above 15 fps, regardless of the graphics effects settings or resolution I change. Here are the specs:

1. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
  2. ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  3. Intel Core i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50Ghz (4 CPUS)
  4. A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
  5. AMD Radeon R9 200 Series w/ 4Gb dedicated memory
  6. Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  7. EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  8. Display Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (144Hz)
  9. Monitor: ASUS VG248 series
  10. Standard cooling that came with case/processor

I've tried a couple of things such as disabling vsync, turning off AMD catalyst override settings, changing refresh rate on the monitor. Nothing seems to solve my issue, although one time I minimized a game, change the refresh rate to 60 Mhz, tabbed back in, and the game was smooth for about 6-7 seconds, and then returned back to sub-optimal fps. It might just have been the tabbing that did it but I should mention what I did regardless.

For reference, games I've tried and have had low fps in are: Dota 2, DayZ Standalone, Infinite Crisis, Wildstar. I ran Murdered: Soul Suspect and it seemed to work fine, but it seems to be an anomaly in this case. 

I'd appreciate any and all help I can get, I'm just starting to get a bit frazzled after spending all this money on this computer.

Exactly what Radeon model did you get?

And it sounds like a possible thermal issue. Download a temperature application such as HWMonitor and look at your temperatures - take a screenie and post it.

I am having serious fps issues with a new computer I assembled. Aside from a new exceptions, the majority of games I run struggle to get above 15 fps, regardless of the graphics effects settings or resolution I change. Here are the specs:

1. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
  2. ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  3. Intel Core i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50Ghz (4 CPUS)
  4. A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
  5. AMD Radeon R9 200 Series w/ 4Gb dedicated memory
  6. Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  7. EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  8. Display Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (144Hz)
  9. Monitor: ASUS VG248 series
  10. Standard cooling that came with case/processor

I've tried a couple of things such as disabling vsync, turning off AMD catalyst override settings, changing refresh rate on the monitor. Nothing seems to solve my issue, although one time I minimized a game, change the refresh rate to 60 Mhz, tabbed back in, and the game was smooth for about 6-7 seconds, and then returned back to sub-optimal fps. It might just have been the tabbing that did it but I should mention what I did regardless.

For reference, games I've tried and have had low fps in are: Dota 2, DayZ Standalone, Infinite Crisis, Wildstar. I ran Murdered: Soul Suspect and it seemed to work fine, but it seems to be an anomaly in this case. 

I'd appreciate any and all help I can get, I'm just starting to get a bit frazzled after spending all this money on this computer.

Run a couple benchmarks like Valley or 3DMark and see if they're up to standard for your GPU (find some reference points online). Most likely they will be, and you will need to tune settings for the game.

Also, check temperatures. 

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Check all the connectors in your PC. Twice.

I suspect it's either a PSU issue or thermal issue.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

"R9 200 series" doesn't tell much on your GPU.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

@Vladsky

Holy shit, your CPU is overheating, and it's throttling your performance.

You need to either get a new heatsink or reapply your thermal paste.  :o

Holy shit balls 100c...that can't be right you wouldve crashed before that

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Its a problem with the cooling for your CPU but you should know what GPU you have also , should be something like 250,260,270,280,270 or something

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Your cpu is overheating. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card is the exact model of video card I use. Here are my temp readings that I gathered:

At rest: t1nOrbR.jpg

During Dota 2: V1hsC7N.jpg

Do these look normal?

That cpu temperature is causing your issues..

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

Its a problem with the cooling for your CPU but you should know what GPU you have also , should be something like 250,260,270,280,270 or something

XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card is the exact model of video card I use

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

That i5 is running hot, even for a stock cooler, which is causing the bad performance.

Try taking the cooler out, cleaning it (and the CPU), reapply thermal paste, and put the CPU cooler again properly.

Ok so I feel like an idiot. I opened it up and my heatsink hasn't even touched my processor, as in the thermal paste wasn't even smeared a little. Turns out those intel snap-in heatsinks aren't as idiot-proof as one might hope. Everything works like a dream now, and I cant thank you guys enough. Seriously, I'll mail you guys beers if you want haha.