Starting out in the DSLR field

I've decided I want a DSLR.My father had one some years ago,but I didn't really care too much about it back then.I did learn what aperature, exposure,etc. meant,I just didn't get much experience.

Recently I've spent some time with a friend who's got a Nikon D3200 and I really enjoyed it.

I'm looking for a budget,entry-level solution.

Thus,I took a look at some shops around here to check the prices.It seems I'd have to go with a 650D.The 700D is like $400 more expensive and it's pretty much the same camera,so that isn't worth it.On the Nikon side, a D5200 costs even more than a 700D so that's out too.However,the D3200 is cheaper.

How do the 650D and the D3200 compare?

And now come the lens.I think the best thing to do is to get the kit lens and the very much suggested prime 50mm f1.8.Any other suggestions?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

may i recommed D5100? is used an option for you?

prime 50mm is great. but try to get an "alrounder" 18-125 or something along those lines for a kit lense.

Yeah that's an option.Around the same price as the D3200.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Yeah that's an option.Around the same price as the D3200.

then i would do D5100. i have one myself and i am really happy.

i would look for classifieds in your region, that is the way i got mine.

but avoid the kit lens. i have just sold mine because i got myself an 18-125 (way more useful) and it was just laying in the corner.

Another option is to get the Pentax K-50 for $585 http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6/dp/B00DBPKAAG/

Better bang per buck http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-650D-vs-Pentax-K-50 The 650D gets crushed, and it even ties with the Nikon D5300 ($1000 for starter kit) http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5300-vs-Pentax-K-50

So...

How do the 650D , D5100 and Pentax K-50 compare?

I've decided I want a DSLR.My father had one some years ago,but I didn't really care too much about it back then.I did learn what aperature, exposure,etc. meant,I just didn't get much experience.

Recently I've spent some time with a friend who's got a Nikon D3200 and I really enjoyed it.

I'm looking for a budget,entry-level solution.

Thus,I took a look at some shops around here to check the prices.It seems I'd have to go with a 650D.The 700D is like $400 more expensive and it's pretty much the same camera,so that isn't worth it.On the Nikon side, a D5200 costs even more than a 700D so that's out too.However,the D3200 is cheaper.

How do the 650D and the D3200 compare?

And now come the lens.I think the best thing to do is to get the kit lens and the very much suggested prime 50mm f1.8.Any other suggestions?

i recommend the D5100, it's a great all round camera. it's sort of an entry level DSLR, but it's not an entry level if you know what i mean?

the nikon d5100 has the same sensor as the professional nikon d7000, which is a great feature, which i find absolutely great for a camera at this price. get the kit lens to make use of the range zoom, getting a 50m f1.8 prime lens would be a good option too, seeing as i'm gonna be buying one pretty soon, to oomph the depth of field which the 18-55mm can't do and later on you could get the 55-300mm lens.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

So...

How do the 650D , D5100 and Pentax K-50 compare?

In terms of value:

1. K-50
  2. D5100
  3. 650D

List out what you'll be using the camera for (sport, wildlife, street shooting, family portraits, etc) and what features are important to you, and I'll give you a better idea of where each one stands.

Right off the bat though, if you need a weather resistant body (something that can take a bit of rain or snow) the K-50 automatically wins with it's lens and camera weather resistance. Check out someone running one of their older cameras under a faucet 

Also, if you need a lens with a little more zoom range, Pentax also offer a kit which includes their weather resistant 18-135mm lens http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Camera-18-135mm-f3-5-5-6/dp/B00DBPK99S/

In terms of value:

1. K-50
  2. D5100
  3. 650D

Is the Canon really worse than all of these?

Is the Canon really worse than all of these?

In terms of value I would say so. It's a fairly old camera, but then again so is the D5100. The K-50 came out last year, it has a newer sensor and more features.

To be honest, they're all capable of taking stellar photos. It's the features you really should be looking at, and maybe the high ISO performance of each sensor. And I'm not saying the 650D sucks, it's just at the pricepoint you set the K-50 offers the best value for money. As you progress, you may find you need to replace the Canon and Nikon options much sooner to get features you would already have in the K-50.

I recommend going down to your local camera shop and trying some cameras out. See how they fit your hands, feel the build quality of each of them and how easy you find the software on the cameras. The cameras which Orange timer has suggested are pretty similar, give or take a couple of pixels. They will all give the same basic functionality as they are all placed in the same market segment as eachother.

I started shooting on a Canon 1000D which has a tiny LCD screen and a 10.1mp sensor, this camera simply allowed me to learn the basics of exposure and framing. I then slowly upgraded my kit to where I am today. 

For lenses, I would say to have the 18-55mm stock lens which comes with the camera, a 50mm f/1.8 and a tele focal lens such as a 70-300mm. This really fills in everything you might need. The 18-55mm is a great all round lens, the 50mm 1.8 is great for low depth of field and low light photography and the 70-300mm is a great zoom lens.

• 2 weeks later...

As everybody else has mentioned, get a 50mm. They are so versatile