1st Watercooling Build

Hi guys,

I've been wanting to build my own watercooling system for quite a while now and have been lurking around the forums reading up guides here and there. After spending sometime reading, I decided to start building my own list of parts.

Can I seek some of your help to see if the parts I've chosen and the quantity would suffice?

My current system specs:

M/B: Asus Maximus V gene

Case: Lian li PC-v700wx

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti 3GB (reference version)

CPU: Intel 3770K core i7

PSU: Seasonic platinum 760W

All I wanted to cool are my CPU and GPU

Watercooling build:

Tubing (Question, how complicated would it be if I go for acrylic rigid tubing for my build)
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 3/8"ID x 1/2" OD - 10ft Retail Pack - Clear (PFLEXA10-12) x1
Fittings
Bitspower G1/4 Thread 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD Compression Fitting - Silver (BP-CPF-CC2) x2
Bitspower G1/4 Thread 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD 90-Degree Triple Rotary Compression Fitting (BP-90R3CPF-CC2) x8
Pump
Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Pump Mod Kit + Mod Top V2 w/ Swiftech PWM Pump Installed x1
Reservoir
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Inline Reservoir - Clear (BP-WTZM150AC-CL) x1
Radiator
Black Ice GT Stealth 240 X-Flow Radiator - Black x1
Waterblock (CPU)
EK Supremacy Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Full Nickel (EK-Supremacy - Full Nickel) x1
Waterblock (GPU)
EK GeForce 780 GTX Ti VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel + Acetal (EK-FC780 GTX Ti - Acetal+Nickel) x1
GPU waterblock backplate
EK ASUS GeForce 780 GTX DCII VGA Liquid Cooling RAM Backplate - Black CSQ (EK-FC780 GTX DCII Backplate - Black) x1
I look forward to hearing from all you expert water cooling builders out there and do let me know if there's anything in particular that I need to watchout for.

Thanks!

@DTdude

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

looks like you got everything nailed down, but a couple of things.

fans?

for a CPU/GPU loop your radiator choice is not going to provide you thermal

performance to an audible acceptance. minimum would be a 280x 60mm radiator,

but that'd be for no overclocking (stock voltages). any overclocking would deffo

need more radiator surface area to cover the increase thermal loading from

overclocking. a 2x 240x 60 for a CPU/GPU would keep temperatures in an

acceptable level with fan speeds in a low speed use.

your case choice is going to be difficult to work with:

pc-v700wx-04.jpg

the roof is very shallow and the thickness radiator would be a 240x 30

and that'd be a stretch as the roof position is inline and your RAM/MOSFET

'sinks could be an issue. that leaves the front intake. but the PSU mounted

under the HDD leaves no other possibilities.

only outcome for this would be a Corsair H100i in the roof for the CPU and

NZXT G10/Corsair HG10 for the GPU (mounted in the front leaving no HDD

support) with a Corsair H55.

your radiator choice is not a good stand alone radiator. a dual pass radiator

is the common usage radiator as the coolant passes through the core twice.

cross-flow (X-flow) only allows the coolant a single pass. this reduces the

thermal capacity of the radiator significantly by half or more. 

Thanks for the welcome, airdeano.

Unfortunately, that's the air system that I already have and I don't see myself changing my case anytime soon considering I paid quite hefty for the case.

I forgot to mention that I'm already using the good old H100 and am looking towards moving to a true water build.

The H100 is cooled by 2 120 SP120 so I'm thinking of re-using the SP120 for my new rad.

280x 60 may not be possible for me as the screws on the top are for 2 120 fan mounts and right now, my two fans cooling the h100 radiator are sitting outside of my case with the radiator of the h100 sitting on the roof my case.

What other choices do I have? Is watercooling really out of the picture for me until I get a new case? Oh and is it really necessary to get a thick radiator (60?) for a CPU/GPU loop.

Any further suggestions are welcome. Thanks again.

@DTdude

yes, the case was a big chunk of the budget and it is not the custom water cooling

case of choice, but i'd try and not hack it up to wedge a custom loop into it with

little or not better returns than you have now.

reasons mostly for custom loop and water cooling in general is for thermal cooling,

low noise emissions and E-peen. using thick radiator options allows for a wide

range of fan speeds to be used to contain the temperatures and still be low noise.

the thinner radiators at first do well, but on stamina, they tend to saturate and

thus needing more fan speed to keep cool (capacity).

general rule is 120mm radiator per device. it is general, but i like low noise so

i go by: 240 for a CPU and add 120mm per device after the CPU.

this keeps the fans under 1200rpm (low noise) and the system temperatures

acceptable or better.

Thanks again airdeno.

I thought about it some more. How about this?

I'll have the 240 x 30 rad just like before for my CPU as follows:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4085/ex-rad-86/Black_Ice_GT_Stealth_240_X-Flow_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s160

and another rad 120 x 25 for my GPU as follows:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4082/ex-rad-82/Black_Ice_GT_Stealth_120_X-Flow_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s159

Oh and if i wish another GPU in the future, guess I'm out of luck in this case unless I can find a space for another separate 120mm rad somewhere that i can sit somewhere in the case.

Would this work well? I know this may seem like I'm pushing it but really want to know how feasible this would be before

I give up and go shop for a new water cooling case.

Couple of things ha maybe hlpful for you:

1. The XSPC EX line of Rads are quite slim and DO NOT require high RPM Fans....high Static Pressure witharound 1400 RPM is excellent with these Rads (I know Im running 2 of em along with a thicker RX Rad).

2. When I WC'd my Silverstone TJ09...same thing I ran into with that gorgeous case (same as your LL), only room up top for a slim 240 Rad....I mounted a 360mm Rad on the back of the case with a Swiftech Bracket which mounted on te top / rear 120mm fan spot......

So, I had a slim 240 up top and a slim 360 on the back with a 980X and SLi 580 Classy's with awesome temps...all radson single "push" Noctua NF F Series Fans.

The bracket on the back should solve the problem.....now where to mount pump n rez ?

Have fun building, be patient and take your time......

3930K - 4.85Ghz w EK Supremacy | RIVE w Photon 170 D5 Vario / Res Combo | 16GB 1866 Doms | Evga GTX 780Ti SC SLi w EK Full WB's| AX 1.2 kW | 900D - 1 x RX480 1 x EX360 & 1 x EX240 Rads w Noctua NF F & Corsair SP "Push" | W7 HP x64 | MK11: P25,113 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7499603 | Firestrike: 19,576 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1177627