APU Budget mATX Build

Hello World,

I am currently looking into building a small form factor computer that is capable of 'gaming' with out braking the bank (aren't we all, I know). Lately I have been doing all of my school work and 'gaming' on a HP Pavilion g6 notebook running an Intel i3 2350m processor and 4GB of RAM that I picked up from a local Office Depot. My goal is to build a computer that will become my daily driver. The budget for this build is around $650. I will most likely be buying everything on sale. The budget could be stretched if I were to sell the laptop, but I do hope to keep it around and use as a net book or something to keep me going if the power goes out. I am here to ask for advice on where I should be spending my money. I hope to play games such as Team Fortress 2, Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, Terraria, Garry's Mod, and Crusader Kings 2. I will also be using it for school work and procrastination. So far, this is the hardware that has caught my attention:

N.B. I would also like it to be as quiet as my budget can afford. Yes, it will be running Linux.

• AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz
  • Cooler Master 212 or Hyper T4
  • Vengeance 8GB (2x4) DDR3 2400Mhz (most likely underclocked due to MOBO)
  • GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-D3H FM2+ AMD A88X
  • SSD 840 EVO 2.5-inch SATA 120GB (Basic)
  • Western Digital Green 1TB Hard Drive
  • Cooler Master V550 - Compact 550w 80+ Gold
  • Fractal Design Define Mini Black Micro ATX

Thanks in advance!

Hello World,

I am currently looking into building a small form factor computer that is capable of 'gaming' with out braking the bank (aren't we all, I know). Lately I have been doing all of my school work and 'gaming' on a HP Pavilion g6 notebook running an Intel i3 2350m processor and 4GB of RAM that I picked up from a local Office Depot. My goal is to build a computer that will become my daily driver. The budget for this build is around $650. I will most likely be buying everything on sale. The budget could be stretched if I were to sell the laptop, but I do hope to keep it around and use as a net book or something to keep me going if the power goes out. I am here to ask for advice on where I should be spending my money. I hope to play games such as Team Fortress 2, Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, Terraria, Garry's Mod, and Crusader Kings 2. I will also be using it for school work and procrastination. So far, this is the hardware that has caught my attention:

N.B. I would also like it to be as quiet as my budget can afford. Yes, it will be running Linux.

• AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz
  • Cooler Master 212 or Hyper T4
  • Vengeance 8GB (2x4) DDR3 2400Mhz (most likely underclocked due to MOBO)
  • GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-D3H FM2+ AMD A88X
  • SSD 840 EVO 2.5-inch SATA 120GB (Basic)
  • Western Digital Green 1TB Hard Drive
  • Cooler Master V550 - Compact 550w 80+ Gold
  • Fractal Design Define Mini Black Micro ATX

Thanks in advance!

650 is plenty

i dont suggest APUs with this amount

760K and R9 270

give me one sec

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

650 is plenty

600 would be favorable, could use a newer mouse

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Micro Center) 

Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($68.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.98 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $701.72

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 23:49 EDT-0400

over the budget by 50 dollars but way better than the APU system

the in build GPU in the A10-6800K is the HD8660D which is somewhat the performance of the R7 240 GPU

the R9 270 will let you play games like BF4 at 1080P high settings easily

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

600 would be favorable, could use a newer mouse

ok but then you might need to ditch the expensive casing and PSU

there are cheaper options which are equally good

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($68.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $701.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 23:49 EDT-0400

over the budget by 50 dollars but way better than the APU system

the in build GPU in the A10-6800K is the HD8660D which is somewhat the performance of the R7 240 GPU

the R9 270 will let you play games like BF4 at 1080P high settings easily

Ill do a little more research to see if I can slim down the price

Thanks for the help though!

Ill do a little more research to see if I can slim down the price

Thanks for the help though!

Different case, no SSD - you can always grab one later and reinstall whatever OS you want later -, and a different power supply, but if you can, then stick with the one there since it's a Gold efficiency PSU.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |