Wooden PC Case Design and Build log. Project - Get Wood

Hello Forum!

I have begun to plan my build with some Google sketch-up's to scale, These designs will be public for anyone to use! after all free internet right!?

I will be moving my current system into the new wooden case once finished, and will be installing a custom water cooling system.

Currently the rough (Don't expect all of the info yet, not even got the side panel off xD) system specs are:

Motherboard: Sabertooth z77

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0ghz

GPU: Powercolor (Yeah i know) HD7970 Radeon. (This is a discontinued card, and not for any good reasons I bet.)

RAM: 8GB of Kingstone HyperX

PSU: Corsair HX750

Case: Corsair 200R (Main reason for moving to new case)

CPU Cooler : Corsair H60 (It was free can you blame me?)

I am hoping to be able to increase the over clock on the CPU and add a backplate and water cooling block to the GPU as the car is warping under the weight of the cooler!

This build will be done on a low budget and I'm trying to prove that you do not need to spend hundreds of £ or $ (Depending on you location :)) to have a modded/custom system that starts the conversation with your mates.

I am 16 years old and living in the TRNC, A non-recognised country in the Mediterranean We cannot receive deliveries here so parts ect will have to transported from the united kingdom to here on commercial flights.

Wish me luck, as im going to need it!

Ben.

post-85337-0-16365900-1402507836_thumb.j

post-85337-0-88053900-1402507837_thumb.j

Gooooooood Luck 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

The case design looks interesting, a mix between a Air 540 and Mercury S5. Can't wait to see this assembled.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

can't wait to see more great design love the squares

looks like you will have enough space ;)

Just based on these designs, I'm not seeing any fresh air flow for the power supply available if a radiator is placed in the back 3x120mm fan mounts. Maybe you could move the fan mounts forward a little? 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Can't wait to see how this turns out. By the looks of it, it  has a dual chamber design. I can't see a power supply cutout in the one chamber shown. How many rads do you plan running? It looks like a 360mm in the front. Any plans for top panel rads?

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Ahh forgot,

As storage using a 1TB HDD, forgot make and model.

And for a boot drive a samsung 840 evo SSD

I As im visiting the UK for three weeks from Monday, ill be purchasing the rad grills. and hope to get assembling the case from early July.

As Promised, the Auto Cad Files!: http://www.mediafire.com/download/okq9gmxttqeyazd/PC_Case_design_no_side_window..dwg

On the open side pannel, I hope to get a sheet of glass that will slide in from the top, this maybe awkward as you would need to take the top off to get to the insides but it will give a clean and quite strong case.

As a fall back though, if this case is unsuccessful will probably purchase a corsair Air 540.

Just based on these designs, I'm not seeing any fresh air flow for the power supply available if a radiator is placed in the back 3x120mm fan mounts. Maybe you could move the fan mounts forward a little? 

You are correct, however this is not a intended mounting point for a radiator, that will have 3 intake fans directed air to the psu, HDD's, SDD's. The radiator will be Push/ Pulling as an exhaust out of the case and hopefully pulling air over the motherboard from a top mounted vent on the top of the system chamber.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. By the looks of it, it  has a dual chamber design. I can't see a power supply cutout in the one chamber shown. How many rads do you plan running? It looks like a 360mm in the front. Any plans for top panel rads?

Right, Well this is a dual chamber design, i must add these are only the first copies of the design i have created so changes will be made and i appreciate all input!

There is only going to be one 360mm radiator in the front as shown, this is only due to the lack of funds i have to build this system. However i will make another mounting point for when funds are available in the top of the psu chamber.

As the System Chamber top will be as regular removed as the side panel, referring to my past post. I am updating the designs currently.

Right, Well this is a dual chamber design, i must add these are only the first copies of the design i have created so changes will be made and i appreciate all input!

There is only going to be one 360mm radiator in the front as shown, this is only due to the lack of funds i have to build this system. However i will make another mounting point for when funds are available in the top of the psu chamber.

As the System Chamber top will be as regular removed as the side panel, referring to my past post. I am updating the designs currently.

Ah okay, cool. Can't wait to see what you come up with, good luck!

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

IcedEskimo, You are very correct. There are many ghetto wood cases, However once this case is finished there shouldn't be any exposed wood. The case will be coated in a acrylic matte paint.

Design update:

I took some advice, and have decided to add 7 more 120mm fan mounting spots some of which i plan just to use as a passive vent.

post-85337-0-10548200-1402513097_thumb.j

post-85337-0-99539700-1402513099_thumb.j