Overclocked folding?

I have overclocked my CPU to 4.2Ghz and my GPU to 850Mhz core 1700 shader and 1900 on the memory. My PPD went from 20k-23k all the way up to 27K-28K. If my overclock is stable should I keep folding like this?

Ignore when i said 28K its now up to 40K and rising slowly!

post-858-0-16889900-1368572547.png

Edited by Kilobytez95

I imagine the usage is quite high, so long as your temperatures don't become worrying... But it may take a toll on the chips.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Of course! If it's stable there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't!

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

If it's stable, and your temps are within safe limits, then keep it. There's no reason not to.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just watch the GPU overclock. Folding is highly sensitive to that. So, if you start to see failed WU's on the GPU, dial back the OC, otherwise, should be fine.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Just watch the GPU overclock. Folding is highly sensitive to that. So, if you start to see failed WU's on the GPU, dial back the OC, otherwise, should be fine.

What i hear is GPU overclocking fails WUs even if its normally stable in 3d applications.

Overclocked laptop from 1.7ghz to 2.0ghz. Went from around 350 PPD to 500 PPD. Starting to fold again and hope to complete my work unit. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

What i hear is GPU overclocking fails WUs even if its normally stable in 3d applications.

That is true - you can have a 24 hour stable burn in with X app of your choice, go and fold and bam, failed WU's. Very sensitive.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Overclocked laptop from 1.7ghz to 2.0ghz. Went from around 350 PPD to 500 PPD. Starting to fold again and hope to complete my work unit. :)

Just check the ETA and the turn in time. At 500 PPD, hopefully you will get it submitted in time. :)

Just check the ETA and the turn in time. At 500 PPD, hopefully you will get it submitted in time. :)

ETA is like around 3 days but can't leave this computer on overnight because of heat issues even when not overclocked and I didn't want to replace the thermal paste because I don't want to screw up my laptop. :(

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

ETA is like around 3 days but can't leave this computer on overnight because of heat issues even when not overclocked and I didn't want to replace the thermal paste because I don't want to screw up my laptop. :(

Ya, may have a issue getting the WU submitted in time then...

Ya, may have a issue getting the WU submitted in time then...

Which laptop (make/model) is it? If it has a halfway decent fan setup on it you should be able to force the fan to run at a comfortable speed to control the temps.

Also, you can look to one of those notebook cooler's - http://www.antec.com/product.php?Per=22

A few companies make them and can help to keep the notebook a bit cooler...

Also, you can look to one of those notebook cooler's - http://www.antec.com/product.php?Per=22

A few companies make them and can help to keep the notebook a bit cooler...

I already have a Coolermaster D-Lite cooling pad. This computer loads at 80c and it is getting pretty close to the max temp of 100c. :(

I already have a Coolermaster D-Lite cooling pad. This computer loads at 80c and it is getting pretty close to the max temp of 100c. :(

Clean the fans. Replace the thermal compound. What about throttling it should be able to keep the temps from reaching to high. Folding on a laptop where you only get 500PPD isn't worth it.

Clean the fans. Replace the thermal compound. What about throttling it should be able to keep the temps from reaching to high. Folding on a laptop where you only get 500PPD isn't worth it.

Yeah... it is way under efficient... I know that every bit helps but...

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.