Codename: Radar

hurlaroid

Hey Everyone!

Been lurking around the boards for a little while now, checking out all the great work everyone has done. I did a major overhaul of my system at the start of the year, and have been battling with heat and noise ever since. Turns out the 290x, even with a nice after market cooler, might as well be a rebranded flame thrower. When you have 2 in Crossfire things get even more interesting. Now that the weather is warming up and I can't just open the window and let 40 degree air into the room, I decided it was time to water cool this beast. 

So, lets get into it!

Components:

System:

CPU: i7 4770

GPU: MSI 290x Gamer Edition in Crossfire

Ram: 8gb Kingston 1600

Storage: 2x Samsung 840 in Raid 0

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Case: Define R4

Fans: Stock case fans, Corsair AF140s

2x UV Cold Cathode

Liquid Cooling:

Monsoon bay res w/ mcp655 Variable

Alphacool Nexxxos ST30 and UT60 240mm Rads

EK Supremacy CPU Block

EK FC 290x water blocks x 2

Monsoon fitting

Primochill Advanced tubing

Monsoon UV green dye

IMG 1866

All the new parts unboxed and laid out. 

IMG 1872

Here is a before shot of my system. I had previously sleeved the cables with uv green and black paracord. You'll notice the AF140 jammed in there right in front of the 290xs to help keep them cool, not the prettiest solution. 

IMG 1875

IMG 1876

Here we have pulled the Ram, Graphics and Mobo. I really want this build to be all black and UV green, so this red and blue need to go......

IMG 1877

IMG 1881

IMG 1882

IMG 1883

IMG 1884

Much better! I used flat black engine block paint on all the heat spreaders. It contains a ceramic element that promotes heat conductivity. 

IMG 1886

Making a mess

IMG 1888

IMG 1890

Getting the fans mounted to the UT60 and mounting the rad to the front. The fan holder on the front of the r4 did not have any holes in it for the fans to mount into, and I didnt feel like taking the time to mark and drill them out at the moment. I plan going back later and ditching the zip ties in favor of a nicer solution. 

IMG 1892

Res is place

IMG 1893

IMG 1895

IMG 1896

Waterblocks installed on the vid cards. I had intended to use the EK backplates, but turns out they are not compatible with my MSI cards. Spent hours verifying the waterblocks would fit and never gave a thought to the back plates. The cards still look great without them due to the black PCB.

IMG 1897

IMG 1899

Snazzy new black mem and chipset heatsinks, and the EK cpu block installed.

IMG 1900

After getting the ST30 and Af140s installed in the case, I found the motherboard was hitting up against them. I tried fixing it by taking off the VRM heatsink from the mobo and filing about 5mm off the top of it, but then the I/O ports on the back were hitting. I wound up just tapping 2 holes in the top of the case and top mounting the rad. Not what I was planning originally, so I will have to go back in the future and install some nice 90 degree fittings and figure out something a bit more sturdy than exposed plastic tubing. 

IMG 1903

IMG 1908

IMG 1909

Tubing installed! I hard ordered an EK dual parallel terminal block, but I mistakenly got the wrong spacing on it, live and learn. Thankfully I ordered extra fittings so I was able to keep working. 

IMG 1912

IMG 1914

IMG 1915

All set up for leak testing, water in and pump on! Quickly found that one of the oval gaskets on the EK video block was not seated right, but thankfully the papertowels caught it all. After a quick drain and reseating of the gasket, everything was water tight. 

IMG 1918

IMG 1926

I couldn't wait to get some dye into it :)

post-56247-0-66264800-1402437427_thumb.j

post-56247-0-26677500-1402437447_thumb.j

post-56247-0-04116200-1402437450_thumb.j

post-56247-0-76447200-1402437452_thumb.j

post-56247-0-46319600-1402437455_thumb.j

post-56247-0-33102800-1402437458_thumb.j

And there she is, all up and running!

It came out a lot better than I expected, despite the few small setbacks I had. 

There is still some more work to be done, I have some 90 degree fittings on the way, I want to add in a fillport/drainport, and I am going to wrap the tubing in anti kink coils for the obvious anti kink reasons as well as the look. 

What I was most impressed with was the differences in temp. Before watercooling, the 290s would consistently hit 90c while gaming in crossfire, thus throttling the cards, getting loud as hell, and making the room unbearably hot. The corsair AIO watercooler would then have a hard time keep its temp low because of all the hot exhaust. Processor temps of 65/70c were not uncommon. 

Now after an hour of running Furmark, the cards were at 70 and 72 respectively, with the processor holding at 50c. Playing BF4 at full settings on a 1440 monitor temps were 55 on both cards and 50 on the processor. I was very worried that only using 2 240mm rads, one of them being 30mm thick, and using low static pressure 140mm fans would not be enough to cool the system, but turns out it's more that sufficient. The room stays significantly cooler now as well, as the system is not getting super hot and I think the radiators dissipate heat at a more even pace so the HVAC system can keep up with it. 

All in all it was a really fun build, and I have a few more things I would like to do with it before i'm going to call it done. I will post back here as I put on the finishing touches. Hope you guys like it!

That UV.  :wub:

Lol yea. When thinking about what scheme I wanted to do something just felt right about good ol green UV. I know the "thing to do" these days is more clean color pallets and white spot lighting, but for this I wanted to go a little "vintage" and create some homage to first PC I built. With me being 16 and into the grateful dead, and windowed cases still being a new thing on the market, it was a UV monstrosity. 

wow thats awesome :D like man i want to do that 

Sir, that looks awesome!

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

Pretty clean. I'm not a fan of the kink in the tubing though.

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

Pretty clean. I'm not a fan of the kink in the tubing though.

I don't care for the kinks either, so I have some 90 degree fittings on the way. I was going to use the FC terminal which has a horizontal out, but it was the wrong size. I also need to get some cold cathode cable extenders and move the inverter out of sight when the case side is off, or at least spray it black.

Great build so far

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

How the hell did you get the heatsinks off, and what paint did you use on them?

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

The mobo ones simply unscrew from the back, they use non adhesive thermal pads underneath. For the ram I just pried them off gently, they attach with double sided adhesive thermal tape. I covered the tap when painting them and it retained enough adhesive to hold back together, but to be sure I added a few drops of super glue.

The paint I got from autozone, it's engine paint. Look for any of the spray paints that say they are heat dissipating and contain ceramic, they have a negligible effect on the heatsink.

I think your answer got deleted somehow.

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

I think your answer got deleted somehow.

Lol, you're fast. Hit the wrong button :(

I always love a watercooled R4 build  :wub:

I think there is a kink on the tubing under the GPU you may want to take a look at.  May want to get a right angle adapter to fix it in the future   

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

The bottom GPU's tube looks awful.

a 90 degree fitting is definitely needed, 

but freaking awesome build, soothing to be proud of!

Corsair Graphite 230T Case , AMD A8 6600K 4-Core Processor cooled by a CoolerMaster Hyper 212X CPU Cooler, MSI A88X G45 Gaming Motherboard, Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB 2133Mhz, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Dual-X OC 3GB, Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB SSD + Western Digital WD Green 1TB + 3x Toshiba 500GB HDD, Corsair CS750M Modular PSU,all cooled with 4 Case fans, Displayed in 1080p on a 50" Samsung LED Smart TV

Exactly, without that fitting the tube is just not right.

The build is awesome!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Yep, it's arriving today. Thanks for the kudos!

• 1 month later...

@hurlaroid update?

Corsair Graphite 230T Case , AMD A8 6600K 4-Core Processor cooled by a CoolerMaster Hyper 212X CPU Cooler, MSI A88X G45 Gaming Motherboard, Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB 2133Mhz, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Dual-X OC 3GB, Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB SSD + Western Digital WD Green 1TB + 3x Toshiba 500GB HDD, Corsair CS750M Modular PSU,all cooled with 4 Case fans, Displayed in 1080p on a 50" Samsung LED Smart TV

Everything looks great. Whole green/black theme is dope

[spoiler= My "gaming rig" ]

• CPU: Intel i5 2500
  • Motherboard: Asrock B75M-GL R2.0
  • RAM: 1x4 GB 1333 Mhz Kingston, 1x4 GB 1333 Mhz Transcend
  • GPU: MSI GTX 770 Gaming OC 2 GB
  • Case: Zalman Z3 plus white
  • Storage: WD Blue 500 GB, WD Black 1 TB
  • PSU: LC POWER 650W ATX v2.3 80+ bronze
  • Display(s): Acer V223HQ
  • Cooling: Scythe SCKTN-3000
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire TK MX blue