140mm closed loop cooling just as effective as 240mm for just cooling CPU?

So I am planning to buy a closed loop water cooler for my CPU and I was deciding between 140mm and 240mm. Right now I have a 200mm fan as an exhaust on the top and then I have 1, 120mm intake (stock) and 1, 120mm outtake (stock). 

I was thinking of getting a 240mm because more surface area = better cooling right?

But if all I'm planning to do is just cooling the CPU wouldn't a good 140mm radiator with a pull/push config just be as effective? All I'm trying to do is just cool the CPU, no plans to expand and say cool the GPU and such...

The 200mm does a good job of outtaking that air and I feel I'll lose that massive AF of outtake if I opt to remove the 200mm fan on top.

I have enough space to mount in the front and maybe even the back (not sure with the 200mm fan). 

140mm AiO liquid coolers are VERY thin, and cool about the same of a single 120mm. For example a H80i beats the hell out of a H90 (140mm).

Get a 240mm, or a 280mm AiO. If not a good air cooler can outperform this choices. The Phanteks PH-TC14PE is a beast air cooler, better than any 120mm or 140mm AiO while been quieter.