So lost in this whole 4k vs 1440p dispute

richhobo

Okay so I'm building a pretty high end system at the moment and I really can't decide on which monitor to pick to properly complement my system. I'm going to be running two 290x's in crossfire along with a plethora of higher end overclockable components which should be enough to run 4k. I really don't play too many FPS's so i'm not sure if i would benefit from higher frame rates too much. I play a lot of RPG's, MOBA's, adventure, lengthy story driven games along with watching butt loads of movies. So after scouring the inter-webs I still can't decide if I should wait for the upcoming 4k ASUS pb287q which linus deemed really good. Or if I should stick with something lower resolution such as the ASUS VG248QE or Tempest overlord and save some money. I'm really not worried about spending a whole lot of cash although i would say the 287q's 650$ price tag will probably be the upper end of it.. Any advice would be SO VERY appreciated 

Well seeing you like long story driven game best go with the Ausus PB297Q because that will have amazing color reproduction, making it an ermersive experience. 

Or try the LG 34UM95 that wide format is even more emersive. 

CPU: AMD 5790t Motherboard: Gigabyte Forumlar XII RAM: Ah Whole set of it GPU: GTX 290x Ti Storage: Ah Ton of HDD PSU: Once it on Display(s): Well I still seeing pixels Cooling: It running COOL BRO Keyboard: *click* *click* Mouse: MORE *click* Sound: OHH DE BASEE

If you really want that 4K experience, I'd say go for it. I have a feeling that 4K monitors won't change in price too much like they have been recently and RPGs and stuff aren't as graphically demanding as, say, FPSs.

There's no reason why you shouldn't go 4K, your use-case kinda works for it :)

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Well seeing you like long story driven game best go with the Ausus PB297Q because that will have amazing color reproduction, making it an ermersive experience. 

Or try the LG 34UM95 that wide format is even more emersive. 

Its not going to have amazing colour reproduction at all its using a TN panel....

If you really want that 4K experience, I'd say go for it. I have a feeling that 4K monitors won't change in price too much like they have been recently and RPGs and stuff aren't as graphically demanding as, say, FPSs.

There's no reason why you shouldn't go 4K, your use-case kinda works for it :)

I have to disagree with the recent partnership between intel and samsung to bring lower cost 4k monitors down to $399 and with companies betting on the world cup to drive up 4k sales i think we will start to see a very dramatic drop in prices.

Its not going to have amazing colour reproduction at all its using a TN panel....

I have to disagree with the recent partnership between intel and samsung to bring lower cost 4k monitors down to $399 and with companies betting on the world cup to drive up 4k sales i think we will start to see a very dramatic drop in prices.

My assumption would be that a $399 4K panel would be a shit panel. :(

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

It's gonna be a Samsung PLS panel if I recall correctly, and PLS is a cheaper IPS panel.

So the image quality and viewing angles should be pretty good.

4KLOL.jpg

@GoodBytes has a good explanation of it posted on bit-tech http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=258688

Samsung is keeping their PLS technology a secret.... we don't know how many bits the panel is actually. Why not say it's true 8-bit panel, that's a big up? Looking at sub pixel level, it looks nearly identical to eIPS panel. And the price confirms this. So I think its safe to assume that PLS panels = eIPS panels. eIPS panels are entry level IPS panel (the 'e' stands for: economic). eIPS panel are 6-bit panel.

eIPS panel is actually LG creation and has patents. PLS are just Samsung version of the eIPS panel. It's has it's up and downs, but it's about the same. It's not the 10% difference that will really be visible.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I feel pretty similar on this... the ASUS panel seems solid. I look forward to trying it.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

I feel pretty similar on this... the ASUS panel seems solid. I look forward to trying it.

@AllstaRawR read my post.

It's just above yours.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

snip

Try LG 34UM95 great for movies and playing games. Widescreens are the best so far. :)

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

It's gonna be a Samsung PLS panel if I recall correctly, and PLS is a cheaper IPS panel.

Wow, that's pretty sweet!

@AllstaRawR read my post.

It's just above yours.

Oops, you posted while I was typing. Still just because it's a PLS doesn't make it better. What if it's.... 4 bit! As if that'd happen, but I'd prefer the 10 bit TN.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

amazon is listing the LG at 1400 USD thats a little pricey for me :(

I was looking forward to getting my hands on some 4k as soon as i could, and i really don't want to keep re-buying monitors 

I thought linus said as far as TN panels go, the pb287q was pretty good on color and such. 

@GoodBytes has a good explanation of it posted on bit-tech http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=258688

even then we will probably see ips panels go down in price to compete and will probably be able to get a 8bit ips for a much more reasonable price too.