Starting a Career in IT

I am about to go into high school and would like to know if there are any good resources or methods of learning about computers. I will probably go to college for a computer-related degree once I graduate high school.

I would like to know more about what kind of jobs there are involving computers, and what each job consists of. The point of this post is to help me grow my knowledge about computers and to help me find out how I can use my interests to find a job in the real world. Thanks to anyone who helps.

Computer sciences, programming.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

There's computer repair, systems administration, if you're lucky then PC building, stuff like that. Hospitals always need IT personnel because of the technology they have to have constantly working, and they pay big bucks sometimes. The best way to learn in my opinion is hands on because there's some things classes can't teach you (like having common sense, for example). 

Have you built your own PC before? Ever had to troubleshoot issues?

There's computer repair, systems administration, if you're lucky then PC building, stuff like that. Hospitals always need IT personnel because of the technology they have to have constantly working, and they pay big bucks sometimes. The best way to learn in my opinion is hands on because there's some things classes can't teach you (like having common sense, for example). 

Have you built your own PC before? Ever had to troubleshoot issues?

I am currently saving up my money so I can buy parts and build. I have basic knowledge about all of the hardware and what needs to fit what, etc. I have not had to troubleshoot however.

Including those mention above,  there is also networking, security (those two i am currently interested in doing), Which degrees in those filled you can become networking engineer, and some other stuff i cant remember right now.

Networking as the name implies looks into implementing and maintaining systems networks, which can break off into two sets where you have the mobile network (cell phones and such) and where you just deal with computers.

Security is implementing different type of security for your organization. which include things like setting up firewall, and other such devices. Mobile security, cryptography etc.

A vast majority of IT jobs are programming positions, so if you want to take it easy, learn some programming languages. Start with the easier website stuff like HTML, PHP, Java, Javascript, SQL (databases), etc.

A more fun way to learn some basics and light programming skills is to find a game making software (RPG Maker VX Ace, Gamemaker, etc.). Many include a way to use a language such as Ruby to make more complex functions, and you can even learn some theory using the basic built-in scripts/functions.

Or you can jump straight to the big ones. Java seems to be a high on demand language as are all the C-languages/off-shoots. Smartphone apps are a big business these days so that's something you might want to look into. Apple just came out with a new language so learning that as soon as possible would be a pretty good advantage and its supposed to be "easy".

I managed to get my foot in the door through some projects of my own. I built a linux server one summer, and ran a vb forum for a couple months off of it. I listed some of the problems I faced as an admin, and how I resolved them. A little while later, me and a group of friends spent the better part of a year reverse engineering an iPhone game.  It was one of those pay to win mafia games. We were able to decipher the encryption method the dev was using to issue in game "points" to your account (this was before in-app purchases existed). From there I expanded outward and created a high level bot to manipulate my account for me.

I didn't get paid a dime for any of those, but I listed them on my resume under personal experiences.  I was able to get an entry level help-desk job at a manufacturing plant 30 minutes from my house. I spent 6 months there before being recruited by one of the contractors. He knew I was being under utilized and brought me on as a gopher. He'd give me all sorts of odd programming jobs, and issues some customers were having, and then I had to go solve it. Most of the work was with SQL databases and java.

Thanks to those 2 jobs, I've been able to remove most of the personal experiences and replace them with technical job descriptions strengthening my resume.

TL;DR find something you enjoy that challenges you almost daily and pursue it.

You should also develop a deep and profound hatred of stupid people. This will build up your tolerance to them as you progress in the field.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13.