dual/tri CPU's shenanigans?

so what if you could run multiple CPU'S,(dual 4770k's, would that be bragging rights, imagine the OC capabilities for both AMD and intel) the way i see it is that they could share a load therefore less heat and could be done even quicker or have like two 4.4GHz processors essentially 8.8 GHz, is this even possible? do they make mobo's to hold two CPU's?   IS this even theoretically possible with today's tech?  This as to my knowledge hasn't been done before(this thread i mean)...but what about even tri-CPU's, so essentially what i am saying crossfire/SLI for CPU's ,or is this an entirely just stuiped idea all together?

From what I know I can tell you there are dual cpu boards, but usually they are for servers running low clocked cpus but with alot of cores. Not meant to game or anything like that. But someone who knows more about it can explain it, thats just my brief understanding.

Already commonplace, the actual purpose is to increase core count and use a pair of Xeon hexas for workstations, but some people have other plans.

wzGeC.jpg

YOU STOLE MAH PICTURE *jk*

Diamond 5 in League :)

YOU STOLE MAH PICTURE *jk*

yeah, son of a bitch had me shook for a moment I didn't think that you'd be asking that kind of question. ;)

shad0w i did indeed steal because it was really mesmerizing, and i really liked it it's my desktop background now too ;)

shad0w i did indeed steal because it was really mesmerizing, and i really liked it it's my desktop background now too ;)

my gif is smoother than yours

yeah, son of a bitch had me shook for a moment I didn't think that you'd be asking that kind of question. ;)

:PP

Diamond 5 in League :)

Dual CPU mobos are common, there are even Quad CPUs.

960638.jpg

Yes but that's a server board, a whole new domain is being entered.

Yeah they are pretty common

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

WP_20140519_008_zpse1aa9666.jpg

Its already been done, let me introduce you to Intel Skulltrail, a motherboard that used 2 Core 2 Extreme Quad cores in unison...... Intel made it as a platform to basically make AMD look bad and be the first to market with 8 cores on a desktop. It has never had a true successor as the EVGA sr boards still had to deal with locked down Xeons

This is actually my build, however its delegated to a home server, dont be fooled even at stock settings it goes toe to toe with a stock Fx 8350

I would really like to see some more consumer dual socket boards. I was slightly hoping that X99 would bring that to the enthusiast market, because content creation is only getting bigger and with 4K rolling along at rates at which we've never seen, it isn't a better time.

Imagine having two of those new X99 octo-core i7s in a rig, completely overclockable with huge amounts of RAM supported with dat sexy 16GB DIMM DDR4 support :wub: . The only somewhat enthusiast dual socket boards are the Asus dual socket WS board and the SR-X (I don't think they're made anymore), and both require locked down Xeon CPUs.

Intel pls.

pls

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

ok so there are some chips out there that can be used in dual configs but, what about a computer that wasn't just for a home server using dual 4770k,4930k?(i think) or 8350, so like all

CPU chipsets being dual/tri/quad and having a prebulit dual cpu becomes the norm for everyday life and gamer's suddenly start using quad cpus? "shenanigans"

ok so there are some chips out there that can be used in dual configs but, what about a computer that wasn't just for a home server using dual 4770k,4930k?(i think) or 8350, so like all

CPU chipsets being dual/tri/quad and having a prebulit dual cpu becomes the norm for everyday life and gamer's suddenly start using quad cpus? "shenanigans"

Thats what i was getting at, they don't exist. intel locked down the mainstream and enthusiast sockets to single chip machines. I posted the Skulltrail build to show you that at one point what you said was possible and it had been done, however there is no enthusiast board out there that will use two CPUs, even if you build a board that could hold two physical sockets and have all the features for the mainstream boards it simply would not run as the chips are locked down by moving pins around and blocked using microcode.

Most xeons in Lga 2011, 1366, and 771  sockets support dual xeons. You can build a relatively low cost dual xeon machine using 771. However most parts available are used!