Thermal paste on GPU

cacra

So, I got a little smudge of thermal paste on my GPU. I don't have any rubbing alcohol, what do i do?

Clean it with water and dry it off. 

Rubbing alcohol is most recommended because it's convenient. 

Most solvents will work. Hell water or gasoline is probably fine. Just make sure there is no residue left and that you leave it alone until it's 100% dry. 

Error: 410

So, I got a little smudge of thermal paste on my GPU. I don't have any rubbing alcohol, what do i do?

Leave it, or buy some? :P 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

If it's not conductive compound I'd just leave it there.

If it's not conductive compound I'd just leave it there.

I am pretty sure it is, the main ingredient is silver I believe.

I am pretty sure it is, the main ingredient is silver I believe.

Arctic 5 eh, I'd get it off using a Q-tip or two without any liquid, and remaining trace amounts shouldn't be an issue.

IPA is recommended 'cos it evaporates real fast, is cheap without additives and doesn't leave residue if you get pure stuff.

Clean it with water and dry it off. 

Rubbing alcohol is most recommended because it's convenient. 

Most solvents will work. Hell water or gasoline is probably fine. Just make sure there is no residue left and that you leave it alone until it's 100% dry. 

I just don't want to leave any residue on there and I don't have any access to distilled water atm. I am not sure if the mineral deposits left by the water will short circuit the GPU, have you ever tried it?

buy some

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Arctic 5 eh, I'd get it off using a Q-tip or two, and remaining trace amounts shouldn't be an issue.

I have no idea, I didn't put it on. It looks silvery though! :)

buy some

That would remove all the 'fun' and cost me a couple of quid!

Go buy some isopropyl alcohol. I wouldn't power on that graphics card unless I'm 100% sure that the paste is thoroughly removed

I just don't want to leave any residue on there and I don't have any access to distilled water atm. I am not sure if the mineral deposits left by the water will short circuit the GPU, have you ever tried it?

Honestly if you really want it off properly, leave it on there until you get some IPA, then clean it properly and install it in your system, that's the only way you're going to get peace of mind from this situation I can tell by the fussing.

I don't know what the fuss is with those damn silver compounds anyway, take a while to start working properly and get it anywhere and then this happens, Noctua NT-H1 ftw.

Honestly, that stuff was plastered on there.

Yeah, Ill just get some alcohol then. Impure water seems a risk and I really cant be asked to get some petrol.

Thanks for the advice.

That would remove all the 'fun' and cost me a couple of quid!

its only a couple of quid... wow

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz