Is the Fractal Design Node 804 a good buy?

BambiBoy

Planning on building a streaming/editing pc and some gaming if a friend is over to play. I got all the parts, most of them comming from my current build as I will upgrade to the newer Z97 platform.

Anyways, I need a case to house it all. I didn´t want to go full ATX as it basically takes a lot of space and carries some weight most of the time. For a guy who moves his setup around every other week, I want my streaming/editing rig to be portable. Because the need of a GPU for editing and two capture cards, obviously Mini ITX won´t be possible. I therefore eyed for a Micro ATX case, and the new Fractal  Design Node 804 caught my eye. Also it has a lot of space for HDDs. Any other cases with simillar features or should I just go with this one?

Check out the new cases coming out from Phanteks.

This.

@BambiBoy

The Node 804 does look good but I think there's more value with the new Phanteks cases.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

i dont like the looks of that fat case, also its overkill unless your planing to go watercooling or 10 drives

Planning on building a streaming/editing pc and some gaming if a friend is over to play. I got all the parts, most of them comming from my current build as I will upgrade to the newer Z97 platform.

Anyways, I need a case to house it all. I didn´t want to go full ATX as it basically takes a lot of space and carries some weight most of the time. For a guy who moves his setup around every other week, I want my streaming/editing rig to be portable. Because the need of a GPU for editing and two capture cards, obviously Mini ITX won´t be possible. I therefore eyed for a Micro ATX case, and the new Fractal  Design Node 804 caught my eye. Also it has a lot of space for HDDs. Any other cases with simillar features or should I just go with this one?

Yeah, the Evolv and Mini XL are really compelling offerings. Finally a case manufacturer has done a truly 'no-compromise' m-ATX chassis.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

This.

@BambiBoy

The Node 804 does look good but I think there's more value with the new Phanteks cases.

Yeah, the Evolv and Mini XL are really compelling offerings. Finally a case manufacturer has done a truly 'no-compromise' m-ATX chassis.

Can´t disagree, the Phanteks cases look awesome, but for my purpose, I don´t need the water cooling support they bring. The cases are also a bit too tall for my taste, when considering mATX. Don´t have me wrong, I love the idea of two systems in one, but I don´t want another tower on my desk that is taller than my current case. 

i dont like the looks of that fat case, also its overkill unless your planing to go watercooling or 10 drives

No one said I would do water cooling or utilize all the space for 10 drives. I do plan on fitting 1-2 SSDs and 4 HDDs. 

Can´t disagree, the Phanteks cases look awesome, but for my purpose, I don´t need the water cooling support they bring. The cases are also a bit too tall for my taste, when considering mATX. Don´t have me wrong, I love the idea of two systems in one, but I don´t want another tower on my desk that is taller than my current case. 

So the Evolv is too big for you? O.o 

It's really not that tall.

No one said I would do water cooling or utilize all the space for 10 drives. I do plan on fitting 1-2 SSDs and 4 HDDs. 

That was the point of my post, if your not going to use the space look else where. Hmm that Mini Xl looks good first time seeing the case as for me i have a ncase coming sff ftw  :D 

So the Evolv is too big for you? O.o 

It's really not that tall.

Ok, but it isn´t really HDD friendly, only two plus one mounted on the mid plate.

Ok, but it isn´t really HDD friendly, only two plus one mounted on the mid plate.

Do you specifically need more than 3 drives? It'll hold 4 drives, not two. If 4 drives isn't enough capacity - you need a NAS or a media Server. :) 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Do you specifically need more than 3 drives? It'll hold 4 drives, not two. If 4 drives isn't enough capacity - you need a NAS or a media Server. :)

The case isn´t even out and I really doubt it will come to Norway anyways

If you're concerned about the height of the case on your desk, shouldn't you be a little concerned about the width of the Node804? It has a very large foot print, cube cases all do.

I actually like the node 804.The fact that is not tall and you can hide the whole power supply,cables,HDDs behind the motherboard is very appealing to me.

But for portability,i'm not so sure because of the depth.

Since you wanna fit 4 HDDs and 2 SSDs you don't have much choices. You have to get a slightly bigger matx case like the fractal arc mini R2,804 or corsair 350D

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

If you're concerned about the height of the case on your desk, shouldn't you be a little concerned about the width of the Node804? It has a very large foot print, cube cases all do.

Not really concerned about height, but I don´t want a secondary PC to be larger than my main PC. Just IMHO.