Cheap headset vs More expensive gaming headset?

Tr33

Yo so i used to use my Tritton PC510HDa and i can still hear just fine through them but i think the mic doesnt work. People on skype dont hear what im saying and even if i use the headset with my laptop built in mic which is btw a great mic people still cant hear me. Plus another disadvantage is that for a laptop gamer(yes i know PC is much better and i am saving up for it) having like 5 cables sucks. they get in the way.take up space on my mousepad, etc.

So recently i just started using my mom and dad's good ol sony mdr v150 headsets which i think cost somewhere around 25 dollars but they arent brand new or anything we have had them for like 7 or more years now.

1st good thing is only one cable which rocks. The bass is shit compared to my trittons ofc but i dont care much tbh. For hearing footsteps it works just fine just as any headset and i like how its not mega huge and heavy. Basically i like the simpleness(if thats a word lol) of it. One cable,sleek look(nothing too gimmicky looking), sure the bass aint great but what u expect for a headset that probably isnt even sold anymore lol. The headset however isnt so great in comfort but its pretty good. 

What are your thoughts about headsets for gaming and as to how much money u really need to spend? When i look for a headset i just really want to hear footsteps i dont care bout listening to music or other stuff like that.

BLAOW!!!!

If I'm buying a headset it's only for online gaming, which means 2 priorities

1. comfort

2. Mic quality.

The last thing I want is to have teammates giving me grief because they can't hear or it's echoing or it's static and pops. That defeats the whole purpose.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

If I'm buying a headset it's only for online gaming, which means 2 priorities

1. comfort

2. Mic quality.

The last thing I want is to have teammates giving me grief because they can't hear or it's echoing or it's static and pops. That defeats the whole purpose.

I have a built in laptop mic(great quality my friends never say they have problems hearing me) so i dont care about headset mic quality or if it even has a mic. :P

BLAOW!!!!

Oh jeez, then lose the mic, you're paying more for something you're not using.

Just buy a good set of headphones that you find comfortable.

Sony is great for that, they've got a wide range, the audio qulity is just fine and because they're so big they offer a huge variety of styles so you should be able to find something that feels good to you(not a fanboy, I actually despise sony, but I will buy their headphones)

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Sony is great for that, they've got a wide range, the audio qulity is just fine and because they're so big they offer a huge variety of styles so you should be able to find something that feels good to you(not a fanboy, I actually despise sony, but I will buy their headphones)

Yea for hearing footsteps any headset should do :P

BLAOW!!!!

Oh dude i made a mistake! The model im looking to buy is a 17 euros headphone. Great price, also looks pretty cool here is the link http://www.tpd.sk/katalog/pocitace-a-prislusenstvo/pc-prislusenstvo/sluchadla/audio-sluchadla/?detail=24943  do you think the build quality is good judging from the picture? Really all i need is to hear footsteps there is no reason for me to drop 40 or more bucks on a headphone

BLAOW!!!!

• 4 years later...

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy an expensive gaming headset as you're paying at least half of your money to the brand and not value. That's not a smart investment. The better way to have a great and deep sound is by buying a cheaper headset and invest some money in a good sound card. That way you will have even better quality sound output for a lower price. There is a lot of cheap models that has many great features.

1 hour ago, damienstanford1 said:

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy an expensive gaming headset as you're paying at least half of your money to the brand and not value. That's not a smart investment. The better way to have a great and deep sound is by buying a cheaper headset and invest some money in a good sound card. That way you will have even better quality sound output for a lower price. There is a lot of cheap models that has many great features.

Excuse me refrain from resurrecting old threads, for crying out loud last post on May 15th 2013!!! :|

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

On 5/14/2013 at 10:52 AM, Tr33 said:

Yo so i used to use my Tritton PC510HDa and i can still hear just fine through them but i think the mic doesnt work. People on skype dont hear what im saying and even if i use the headset with my laptop built in mic which is btw a great mic people still cant hear me. Plus another disadvantage is that for a laptop gamer(yes i know PC is much better and i am saving up for it) having like 5 cables sucks. they get in the way.take up space on my mousepad, etc.

So recently i just started using my mom and dad's good ol sony mdr v150 headsets which i think cost somewhere around 25 dollars but they arent brand new or anything we have had them for like 7 or more years now.

1st good thing is only one cable which rocks. The bass is shit compared to my trittons ofc but i dont care much tbh. For hearing footsteps it works just fine just as any headset and i like how its not mega huge and heavy. Basically i like the simpleness(if thats a word lol) of it. One cable,sleek look(nothing too gimmicky looking), sure the bass aint great but what u expect for a headset that probably isnt even sold anymore lol. The headset however isnt so great in comfort but its pretty good. 

What are your thoughts about headsets for gaming and as to how much money u really need to spend? When i look for a headset i just really want to hear footsteps i dont care bout listening to music or other stuff like that.

I found that spending $70USD vs $25USD, generally gets something that lasts longer. I was going thru several headsets a year when I bought cheap. Spending more, I get usually 2 or 3 years out of them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I found that spending $70USD vs $25USD, generally gets something that lasts longer. I was going thru several headsets a year when I bought cheap. Spending more, I get usually 2 or 3 years out of them. 

So basically there is no noticeable difference in sound quality? Is the difference rather in the construction quality?

9 hours ago, damienstanford1 said:

So basically there is no noticeable difference in sound quality? Is the difference rather in the construction quality?

The only thing with sound quality is the more expensive headsets speakers tend to sound good longer. As in, they dont start cracking after 3 months. Construction is a bit better, as my more expensive headsets seem to last longer. My Razer Kraken Pro's lasted a good 2 years before one of the ear cups died. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.