Is This An Illegal Copy?

If you are a student in a school where they are registered through MSDNAA, you have Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro ready to be downloaded for free.

Contact your school IT department to know if they are registered, your account info, and where to go.

Microsoft has Windows 8 Pro student pricing on their online Microsoft Store, but it's the Upgrade edition, so you need a genuine Windows 7, Vista or XP to start with.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.264954100?WT.mc_id=WOL_Win8ProStudent

Windows 8 Pro (highest edition of Windows 8) upgrade (yes, you can clean install) was at 40$ at release. I can't believe people didn't get it.

im in highschool not university, does it still count?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

You should be-able to contact Microsoft direct for any enquiries, they give you all the advice you need !

what ever the number is in your  country

I like it when people naively say, is this legal? When all along they know what's up as you never ever get anything for free. Sure Linux distro's (some) are free but then again you don't get any free support from the distributors of it but can get free support from other users.

In closing, don't do the crime if you can't do the time (or pay the fine).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I like it when people naively say, is this legal? When all along they know what's up as you never ever get anything for free. Sure Linux distro's (some) are free but then again you don't get any free support from the distributors of it but can get free support from other users.

In closing, don't do the crime if you can't do the time (or pay the fine).

no my sisters boyfriend said he would install windows 7 on there computers for there anniversary present. i had nothing to do with it and they didnt know what a illegal copy is. so i asked. i really didnt know

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

no my sisters boyfriend said he would install windows 7 on there computers for there anniversary present. i had nothing to do with it and they didnt know what a illegal copy is. so i asked. i really didnt know

Without an official Microsoft license sticker you can in the future guarantee its illegal, just so you know from here on out.

Without an official Microsoft license sticker you can in the future guarantee its illegal, just so you know from here on out.

k thanks.

The cops are on there way to your house now.. Lol

Probably doesnt know how to use Windows Loader :P

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

if they are not using the computers for gaming but don't want to pay for windows just switch them to linux, bar gaming it does everything windows can, you can't get viruses on it, it's faster and it has a software center. http://www.linuxmint.com/

if they are not using the computers for gaming but don't want to pay for windows just switch them to linux, bar gaming it does everything windows can, you can't get viruses on it, it's faster and it has a software center. http://www.linuxmint.com/

my parents dont like change and they think linux is a HUGE change. and its alot of work to setup everything from what i heard. also my sister plays LoL and i play minecraft on that atm until i get my rig done

my parents dont like change and they think linux is a HUGE change. and its alot of work to setup everything from what i heard. also my sister plays LoL and i play minecraft on that atm until i get my rig done

it used to be difficult to set up but now it's just a case of installing it and then getting the programs you want from the software center. As for change, i just installed it on my mums PC, put a chrome shortcut on the desktop and didn't tell her, fact is the average person spends 98% of the time using the browser anyway so in that case it's identical to windows lol. screenshotception >>>>>

Screenshotfrom2013-05-15114318.png

EDIT: yeh Minecraft is available on linux :)

it used to be difficult to set up but now it's just a case of installing it and then getting the programs you want from the software center. As for change, i just installed it on my mums PC, put a chrome shortcut on the desktop and didn't tell her, fact is the average person spends 98% of the time using the browser anyway so in that case it's identical to windows lol. screenshotception >>>>>

Screenshotfrom2013-05-15114318.png

EDIT: yeh Minecraft is available on linux :)

ya but my mom refuses to use anything but IE. and i hate it i try and talke her into something else but she wont budge. so can i get IE on there?

ya but my mom refuses to use anything but IE. and i hate it i try and talke her into something else but she wont budge. so can i get IE on there?

no coz that's a windows browser, a trick i have done in the past is installed chrome and just changed the icon to the IE icon then just said "windows must have updated it" when they open it and see the different lay out :).....

Screenshotfrom2013-05-15115306.png

no coz that's a windows browser, a trick i have done in the past is installed chrome and just changed the icon to the IE icon then just said "windows must have updated it" when they open it and see the different lay out :).....

Screenshotfrom2013-05-15115306.png

my mom isnt quite that dumb though lol its frustrating i know

my mom isnt quite that dumb though lol its frustrating i know

sounds like she's beyond helping lol

sounds like she's beyond helping lol

yup i gave up a few years ago.

By my reading, yes it does mean it is illegal. The KB971033 update is specific for checking windows activation. If he legally updated your Windows to version 7 then he also should have stuck the product key sticker to your PC.

Why the hell would you stick the key to your PC?! What if you change the case? And what about looking shitty as hell? ^^

what happens if we accidently install that update do we get arrested?  lol i know i sound dumb but i know more about hardware than software

Yes, you will be imprisoned for atleast 8 Gazillion years.

No dude, nothings gonna happen but Windows breaking your balls. Many people run "cracked" versions of Windows, which has the only downside of having to be careful about updates.

windows seven where im at if $400 and windows 7 OEM is $100

OEM will be just fine. The 400$ package does include M$-Support, which noone used, ever.

And you can reinstall as many times as you wish, tried mutliple times.

Check if your school does have access to Dreamspark or if you are able to purchase the Student pack of win8 which is very very cheap. Download Start is back for 1$ and you have win7.5 which is a lot snappier than Win7.

I LOVE the dreamspark feature microsoft has for us student, legit windows since when i got the license to use it :D ( in my school you can get any MS programms 4 free)

It's fucking awesome! Basically everything but Office you can get there, like a shitload of Win8 keys, VS, Home Server 2012/2013 and stuff, and the Software store of the university itself, where I can buy SPSS Licenses 50$/Year instead of like 2000$ full license ^^ [i hate that program, so... hard... ><]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Install Firefox and theme it, maybe?

Can you not just install whatever you had previously on there?

As for only using IE, just tell her in no uncertain terms that it is safer to surf the web using Firefox or Chrome, I assume she managed to transition from IE8 to IE9 (and now IE10) OK, so she'll figure out Firefox or Chrome.

The same can be said for the Linux suggestion, Win 7 is pretty different to XP, depending what she uses the computer for will she really have a problem, I mean the web looks the same on everything and I would much rather use a legitimate OS of any kind, one that will have its security holes plugged, than an un-updateable version of Windows.

Well then you have answered your own question my friend.

Continue using the illegal copy, you may find that it will shut down after and extended use or you download an update.

Then you will be unable to use the pc without a hack.

Maybe then they will consider the licence?

I used a cracked Windows 7 for about a year or two after my old PC's OEM copy had to be erased (before anyone moans, currently using legitimate Windows 8). Aside from having to avoid this particular update, it worked flawlessly. The PC will shut down just fine after extended use. It will work fine as long as this update is avoided, and if it isn't then it merely says "bah, activation invalid, bah" and that's remedied by uninstalling the update and cracking the OS again. It's okay if you disagree with the ethical values of piracy, but you shouldn't resort to petty scare tactics.

My setup used to be linked here but links aren't allowed so... it shall remain a mystery!

IE is a pretty good web browser, to be honest. It came form a very long way of IE6, and it quiet competitive.

Chrome still doesn't support color profiles, thaught. Which is kinda of like a basic feature that has been supported since ages ago by all other web browsers. I guess, it's a trick to boost it's speed. But Opera has no problem doing it, and still the fastest.

Just make the Linux profile look Windows-ish and tell them the recent updates jacked up the profile due to security issues, done. Tell sis LoL and MineCraft are considered security threats and that you'll let your parents know those games caused the changes if she raises the issue.

your version of windows was hacked, this is why it didnt shut down.

I am not sure what you mean by scare tactics, i am just stating the facts of how the OS works.

Bahaha, my bad! I meant that it would shut down just fine, and the entire OS was perfectly functional. I'll just go back and edit that :)

My setup used to be linked here but links aren't allowed so... it shall remain a mystery!

Just left click that update, and select HIDE THIS UPDATE, there you go.

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i