Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 32GB

The_Strict_Nein

My Review of the Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 32GB

y5tRyXVl.jpg

Product Overview

The Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 is Kingston's third highest performing USB stick for Business or Personal use. It comes in 32, 64, and 128GB capacities and is rated at up to 150MB/s Read and 70 MB/s Writes.

Visually, the USB is pretty good looking. The metal casing is split into two sections with a white plastic piece in the middle. The metal housing feels robust and the slide action is fairly resistive, so this stick should be durable. One thing to note is that because the housing is metal, when conducting lots of data transfers (like in the artificial tests I used) the USB stick heats up quite dramatically, to the point of being uncomfortable to hold. For general use this shouldn't be a problem but for professional use involving lots of data transfer it's something to look out for. The slide ensures that the connector is protected when not in use. The loop that can be connected to a key chain uses a relatively thick piece of metal for a key ring and should be quite durable. The size of the USB stick prevents two horizontally close ports from being used at the same time if the G3 is in one of them. This is important on a laptop, but less so on a desktop.

The USB drive is backed with a 5 year warranty.

Tests

I don't really know many methods of comparing USB sticks, so I used CrystalDIskMark on the default settings with each drive.

The USB I am replacing is the Kingston DT 101 G2 16GB.

vBBY8yJl.jpg

When I purchased the DT 101, it was around £20 for 16GB and is USB 2. The G3 is much more attractive and robust, is 32GB, and is USB 3.0, and cost me £19. USB Technology has come on leaps and bounds.

I tested both USB sticks in the same USB 3.0 port.

DT 101 G2:

DnFL6Hbl.jpg

Ultimate 3.0 G3

qsVQBAil.jpg

As you can see, the G3 blitzed the G2 in sequential reads and writes and random reads. They both performed similarly in all other tests, which I believe to be the nature of a USB controller.

It's worth noting that the G3 performed beyond its rated specification in this benchmark

Conclusion

I'm personally extremely happy with the G3. It's robust, attractive, and twice the size of my previous stick. The performance difference is extremely noticeable, particularly when working with large driver files for setting up new computers.

While being more expensive than other solutions, the price I brought it at was extremely reasonable, and I simply don't have enough data to warrant 64GB.

I would highly recommend this USB stick.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

That wallpaper just gave me a little heart attack. Nice review!

Read the first line if your conclusion again, but with an open mind. :D

giggity

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Read the first line if your conclusion again, but with an open mind. :D

I fell off my chair.

I'm leaving that in

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I fell off my chair.

I'm leaving that in

I don't know how it just leapt out at me lol.

Nice review, looks very cool.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.