Raspberry Pi

Go to solution Solved by Legion,

Hey guys! So, I had some cash lying around and thought of getting a Raspberry Pi since I don't have one. But I have some questions.

-Is there any alternative to the Pi?

PICs and Arduinos

-If yes, is it good?

Depends on what you want to do, project work , prototyping probably a pic or arduino.

Mini htpc , Larger more demanding projects raspberry pi.

-What are the uses of it?

http://readwrite.com/2014/01/21/raspberry-pi-great-projects#awesm=~oGaq0dwLiizotk some raspberry pi projects

http://hacknmod.com/topics/arduino/ arduino projects  and my personal favourite me and a friend started but never finished http://projectsentrygun.rudolphlabs.com/

-Can I play games in it?

A raspberry pi yes, it has a collection of games and can run old school emulators if you are into that sort of thing.

-What other props should I get with it? Does it depend on how I'm using it? (Yes, I think)

Depends entirely on your project but usually a good case and a good power supply. A powered usb hub is also a nice addition if you plan on connecting multiple devices.

- Would running it off with Ubuntu be good?

You don't the following is a list of stable operating systems.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ 

That's it.

Answers in red :L

I've used arduino's for several projects and owned two raspberry pi's, one of which I still have.

Hey guys! So, I had some cash lying around and thought of getting a Raspberry Pi since I don't have one. But I have some questions.

-If yes, is it good?

-Can I play games in it?

-What other props should I get with it? Does it depend on how I'm using it? (Yes, I think)

That's it.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Arduino? It isn't so bad.

I think RPI is for many purposes, like home automation, lazy people, so on.

I think you might be able to play a game, assuming there is a port for a display.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Raspberry pi is kinda slow now compared to android sticks, so it's not that useful for games, movies and stuff. It's mostly for projects.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You can't run Ubuntu on it. The CPU is based on the ARM architecture while Ubuntu is based on x86_x64.

The Pi is a good device to learn programming on, I saw a project where a guy used his Pi to control his boiler.

For what the Pi does as a very cheap and lightweight linux PC, there are no alternatives. However, an arduino is a reasonable alternative if you're interested in programming - as I understand it, it's like an even lower power pi that doesn't run any OS but that you can program to do stuff at a hardware level, such as operating motors. You're probably looking for a pi though, which can be used as a media center, cheap and slow NAS, or for random projects (it's really not very powerful though). It does have hardware control, but that's not the main focus of it. And you're not even going to be able to run the original Half Life on it. Perhaps pong though.

HTTP/2 203

You can't run Ubuntu on it. The CPU is based on the ARM architecture while Ubuntu is based on x86_x64.

The Pi is a good device to learn programming on, I saw a project where a guy used his Pi to control his boiler.

Well, I actually want to learn programming. Will the Pi, or the arduino help me?

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Arduino? It isn't so bad.

I think RPI is for many purposes, like home automation, lazy people, so on.

I think you might be able to play a game, assuming there is a port for a display.

What about Arduino? Do people prefer it as compared to the Pi?

COMING SOON

Well, I actually want to learn programming. Will the Pi, or the arduino help me?

It certainly will.

I really don't know. I don't know the stats.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I really don't know. I don't know the stats.

No problem, thanks for the help! :)

COMING SOON

Wouldn't use it for gaming, it can play back HD Video though, so you could use it as mini home theatre system. Thats what im planning on doin

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

BananaPi is coming up, with a dual core 1ghz cpu and a sata connector in exactly the same form factor for 75$. Depends if you care for the extra power or not. Ubuntu should run fine on it.

The Pi is more powerful I think. Some people prefer it because they need a specific add-on that only exists for arduino, also I think it's a bit cheaper but I'm not sure.

Wouldn't use it for gaming, it can play back HD Video though, so you could use it as mini home theatre system. Thats what im planning on doin

You'd be surprised, it runs quake 3 at 1080p thanks to the beast gpu it has. Try that with a much more expensive 3ds...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'd use the Pi for programming rather than playing some small games, etc.

I've got a pi, which I've got set up with both rasbian and retropie on seperate sd cards. If you fancy emulating a load of retro games up to the game boy advance, and some ps1 games, it's worthwhile so long as you overclock it, to get improved FPS, it makes a fairly big difference. It even has duke nukem 3d and doom preinstalled.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

there are a few alternatives to the rPi.

beaglebone black is the best all around option if you don't like the limitations of the raspi.

raspi is the best for the money, but it's very limited as a computer.... 512MB ram, a really shoddy usb2 controller that has issues with bandwidth, and 700mhz (up to 1ghz) arm processor.  You can get the model A but that only has 256MB ram.... the usb2 controller isn't there, so you only get a single usb2 port and no ethernet - but the usb2 port coming right out of the arm processor is far better.  This is what I use, for my gameberry, my ongoing project to make a raspberry pi based emulator, game player, and mini computer inside an original gameboy shell. Videos on youtube of my progress are available.

the arduino and other similar things (ti lanuchpad, et cetra) are EXTREMELY limited as a computer, they are like the old 8088 of yore that didn't even have 1MB of ram and ran at excessively slow speed, like 16MHz.  they are great to learn to make tiny elecrtronics that you program, but nothing else.

intel is coming out with an alternative, which is x86 compatible and far more powerful, but that will be more money.  They already tried and failed with another, that one isnt even worth getting but the new one just might be.

then there are all these "linux on a stick" devices. a lot of hacking necessary to make them do anything besides basic cellphone hooked to a TV style things, but that is the most powerful option right now for this kind of hacking / maker / do it yourself stuff.

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

PICs and Arduinos

-If yes, is it good?

Depends on what you want to do, project work , prototyping probably a pic or arduino.

Mini htpc , Larger more demanding projects raspberry pi.

http://readwrite.com/2014/01/21/raspberry-pi-great-projects#awesm=~oGaq0dwLiizotk some raspberry pi projects

http://hacknmod.com/topics/arduino/ arduino projects  and my personal favourite me and a friend started but never finished http://projectsentrygun.rudolphlabs.com/

-Can I play games in it?

A raspberry pi yes, it has a collection of games and can run old school emulators if you are into that sort of thing.

Depends entirely on your project but usually a good case and a good power supply. A powered usb hub is also a nice addition if you plan on connecting multiple devices.

You don't the following is a list of stable operating systems.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ 

That's it.

Answers in red :L

I've used arduino's for several projects and owned two raspberry pi's, one of which I still have.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090