Transfer data from older HDD to newer one

lucidthrowaway

Hello all, today my issue to be resolved is as follows:

I have a co-worker that I just built a computer for and his old computer had a WD HDD that was powered by PATA cables. He wants some of the old files moved over to the new HDD and I was wondering if there is any way to transfer the files from the old HDD to the new one. The old computer no longer functions, so I am not able to power on and move the files to a removable storage. The computer also ran windows XP if that means anything at all. More information can be provided if you tell me what you need.

You can get one of those PATA (IDE) to USB to get the data off the drive, the PATA (IDE) to sata adaptors are usually a hit and miss on working correctly.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eforcity-usb-2-0-to-sata-pata-3-5-2-5-hard-drive-adapter-cable/1306431420.p?id=mp1306431420&skuId=1306431420

Would get an adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-ADA50016-SATA-Converter-Bi-directional/dp/B002OEBO6E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401686913&sr=1-1&keywords=IDE+to+Sata 

Chose this one even though it is expensive as the others had bad reviews.

Wouldn't get the one that you suggested as there were more negative reviews than positive reviews so the product may have a high chance of not working.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Would get an adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-ADA50016-SATA-Converter-Bi-directional/dp/B002OEBO6E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401686913&sr=1-1&keywords=IDE+to+Sata 

Chose this one even though it is expensive as the others had bad reviews.

Wouldn't get the one that you suggested as there were more negative reviews than positive reviews so the product may have a high chance of not working.

And this I can plug into the PATA port on the HDD then into my computer and get the data like that, correct?

And this I can plug into the PATA port on the HDD then into my computer and get the data like that, correct?

Yep it would act as a SATA drive on your computer if you used this adapter and you would be able to transfer your data over to your computer.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

an adapter is the only way , pata to usb or you can get an old motherboard with both the ribbon data & sata ports like some old ecs motherboards do. Good luck.

Details separate people.