Will my old CD-ROM work with my new pc?

Hey

I didn't know where to post this topic , sorry !

I'm getting a new pc tomorrow but it hasn't got a CD drive nor does it have windows installed.

So i need to know if the Gigabyte z77x-ud5h would work with my TSSTcorp sh-w162l CD-ROM/DRIVE .

Thanks ;)

You're old drive uses IDE, where as the new motherboard only has sata connectors. If you really needed that drive you can always purchase an IDE to sata adapter.

Although the prices of optical drives have dropped drastically and you can pick up a new sata compatible drive for under $20.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=76514&vpn=GH24NS72&manufacture=LG%20Electronics&promoid=1382

I believe this one is lacking lightscribe but unless you use lightscribe often it's not a big loss.

Of course you could always bump up the budget a bit and get a blu ray optical drive for not too much more

Something like this would suite most needs fairly well. http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=60288&vpn=CH12LS28&manufacture=LG%20Electronics&promoid=1201

a blu-ray reader with dvd and cd writing capabilities along with light scribe.

Another thing to mention, is a lot of builds are no longer using internal optical drives and save those bays for other devices. You many consider picking up a slim external usb optical drive for easy portability.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

If it's a CD-ROM just get a DVD drive - no adapter shit.

If it's a CD-ROM just get a DVD drive - no adapter shit.

Yes agree. It will not work your CD-ROM has a IDE connector and you new mainboard supports sata. IDE is too old ;)

You need to buy a new one or get some extern one from a friend. But I would sugest you can spend the 20€ for a new one.

Having a CD drive would still not allow you to install Windows because the Windows disc itself is actually a DVD, so your better of purchasing a DVD drive.

Yes you are better off buying a DVD drive, they arent very expensive only about 30 dollars.

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU> Intel 4790k< GPU> EVGA GTX970< SSD> Crucial MX200 250Gb< HDD> Seagate Barracuda 2Tb<
Cooling> Corsair H100i< Case> Corsair Air 540< PSU> Seasonic X-Series 650W< RAM> 8Gb Kingston HyperX<