Optimus Prime

Hi LTT, 

My Specs are

I7 4930K - stock clocks

R9 290x -  stock clocks

32GB Dominator Platinum - not set to XMP

Rampage IV Black

LEPA1600watt PSU

(money problems meant I couldn't buy the other 3 290x's and complete my watercooling. Cars do that to ya)

So I turned off my computer last night but left my monitor on standby so when I booted the pc the monitor would auto detect and turn on. Well this morning it didn't and I had to completely reseat the gpu into the system. Any explanations on why I would had to resort to this would be much appreciated since the system has been running flawlessly for a week now (only built it last Saturday) till this happened

Thanks 

Hi LTT, 

My Specs are

I7 4930K - stock clocks

R9 290x -  stock clocks

32GB Dominator Platinum - not set to XMP

Rampage IV Black

LEPA1600watt PSU

(money problems meant I couldn't buy the other 3 290x's and complete my watercooling. Cars do that to ya)

So I turned off my computer last night but left my monitor on standby so when I booted the pc the monitor would auto detect and turn on. Well this morning it didn't and I had to completely reseat the gpu into the system. Any explanations on why I would had to resort to this would be much appreciated since the system has been running flawlessly for a week now (only built it last Saturday) till this happened

Thanks 

Probably the GPU is slipping out of its slot.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Were there any power issues over the course of the night? Also check the interconnects on the GPU and socket on the board, if those are dusty/dirty you're screwed. Erasers work well for cleaning the contacts on the bottom of a GPU. Last resort I would try to RMA the GPU if it's a recurring issue.

Probably the GPU is slipping out of its slot.

Could be, the case is an FT02 which is one of those lets let the gpu just hang there cases

Were there any power issues over the course of the night? Also check the interconnects on the GPU and socket on the board, if those are dusty/dirty you're screwed. Erasers work well for cleaning the contacts on the bottom of a GPU. Last resort I would try to RMA the GPU if it's a recurring issue.

Nope, apart from my phone charger blowing but everything I run computer wise is on a powerboard with surge protection. As for dust there is a little but not on the contacts

Could be, the case is an FT02 which is one of those lets let the gpu just hang there cases

Nope, apart from my phone charger blowing but everything I run computer wise is on a powerboard with surge protection. As for dust there is a little but not on the contacts

well just put it back in, make sure it's screwed in tight, and just watch it! If this is continuing to happen then I would start diagnostics on every component until you know exactly what is causing it.

Seriously, there is no retention system?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

There fairly is, dunno what @Optimus Prime is talkin bout.

Edit: Maybe he is saying that it is vertical, so it "hangs" from the case sorta. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Edit: Maybe he is saying that it is vertical, so it "hangs" from the case sorta. 

I guess, maybe just the way the case was designed.

well just put it back in, make sure it's screwed in tight, and just watch it! If this is continuing to happen then I would start diagnostics on every component until you know exactly what is causing it.

I did, I did and I shall :D

Thumbscrews and thats about it

@DIV1D3, yeah it its vertical in the case and all that holding it is, is two thumbsrews

I did, I did and I shall :D

Thumbscrews and thats about it

@DIV1D3, yeah it its vertical in the case and all that holding it is, is two thumbsrews

Yeh, just did a quick Google search, I wish more ppl did that. But yeh, maybe it's just that it wasn't seated properly, did everything else boot up??

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Yeh, just did a quick Google search, I wish more ppl did that. But yeh, maybe it's just that it wasn't seated properly, did everything else boot up??

Yep, I had boot, window's boot "music". led power for my peripherals and everything else with it. My monitor just couldn't detect a display port signal

Yep, I had boot, window's boot "music". led power for my peripherals and everything else with it. My monitor just couldn't detect a display port signal

Try a new port.

Yeh that means it'd definitely be something to do with the GPU, if it happens again than your best line of action is to RMA it. 

Try a new port.

PCie or Display output?                  It's all working now, I just don't why it did what it did

Yeh that means it'd definitely be something to do with the GPU, if it happens again than your best line of action is to RMA it. 

Yep, I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it