Overclocking My Voltage Locked Gigabyte Windforce 7950

unitus77

So i recently got me a new Gigabyte GV-R795WF3-3GD 7950 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4121#ov

It came with a couple surprises the biggest being it was clocked stock at GPU1000mhz / Mem1250mhz from the listed 900mhz. Nothing to complain aboot. It also had an extra 2 pin power adapter on it. 
It was also voltage locked but i was expecting it to be anyway. Doing some reasearch it seems to be the norm now for these cards to come standard at 1000mhz and V locked. 
So my question is what overclocks should i be aiming for with this out of the box OC'd card while not being able to adjust the 1.250 voltage lock?

Just increase the Mem/GPU clock 5Mhz at a time and test it. If you start to see artifacts then lower the clocks or maybe try cool it down.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

You still can get some pretty awesome clocks without adjusting the voltage.

Was able to squeeze out 1140/1520Mhz Good?

Odd thing is i was getting a better heaven benchmark score at 1135/1500Mhz that normal? Haven't used heaven before. 

I have the Gigabyte 7950, and mine is running at 1100 core clock and 1400 memory clock, so you should be able to get it higher.

And it's locked at 1,25 volts, so it's quite high from the factory.

Edit: higher than stock is what i meant.*

PC setup

Case: Fractal Define Nano S Windowed | Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty x370 Gaming-ITX/AC | CPU: Ryzen 1700 @ 3,8 GHz | GPU: Nvidia 1080 Ti Founders Edition | Ram: G.Skill Flare X @ 2933MHz | PSU: Corsair RM850

Cooling

CPU: EK Supremacy EVO | GPU: EK Block + Backplate | Rad: 2x EK-CoolStream SE 240 | Pump: EK XTOP DDC 3.2 | Res: EK-Res X3 110 | Fans: 4x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000

Misc: EK fittings | EK Ekoolant EVO | EK Duraclear tubing

Odd thing is i was getting a better heaven benchmark score at 1135/1500Mhz that normal? Haven't used heaven before. 

if it is stable, then sure why not keep it. Monitor your temps though.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

if it is stable, then sure why not keep it. Monitor your temps though.

Yeah seems to be stable ran quite a few heaven benchmarks. Max temp hit was 75c. Going to download 3Dmark an retest with that though.

Heaven just seems off, a restart changed my benchmark scores entirely using same clocks. 

Yeah seems to be stable ran quite a few heaven benchmarks. Max temp hit was 75c. Going to download 3Dmark an retest with that though.

Heaven just seems off, a restart changed my benchmark scores entirely using same clocks. 

Semms good! good luck.

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

That's a pretty awesome clock speed, hows the noise?

Pretty great overclock considering it's voltage locked. How are the temps and noise? The benchmark score thing is normal. I had the same issue with my 670 when I was using heaven as a benchmark

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

At full load the fan at 95% its pretty loud but not terrible i don't mind. Temps are good at about 30-35 idle 63-70 while gaming at about 70-75 while benchmarking.