Offering $25 Amazon gift card for help getting my PB278Q to work with my build!

Here is my build, PS - I already own ALL of these parts and my computer is completely put together right beside me:  (Don't get sidetracked by my completely over sized case. It was free, a gift)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7T2dxr

My GPU is currently an Asus Radeon HD 5850    (I also have a Radeon HD 5770)     but I have a "780 ti" in the mail expected on friday. I don't want to be without a computer for 3 more days, though.

*****So here's the scoop*****

I just got a PB278Q, from NCIX. It came in excellent physical condition, not a scratch.

When I plug it in via HDMI to my computer it reads "HDMI: NO SIGNAL"

It did this on my previous build too, before I swapped all of my parts. I tried the display port, hdmi, and the big clunky white connector. All of them on the proper settings read no signal.

So on both builds, my previous one which I know was functioning with my previous monitor (got rid of it as soon as the PB278Q came in the mail) and most importantly, my current build, no matter what cable I use or whether I plug it in to my motherboard or my Radeon HD 5850, it reads "no signal".

HERE'S THE KICKER, LOL.   When I plug it in to my alienware m14x laptop, it works on VGA settings, and sort of functions (haha) on HDMI as well. (it shows my alienware background but no icons, no start bar, nothing else. My laptop remains the primary display and my PB278Q just shows my background.

If anyone thinks they can fix my problem, PM me for my skype information or cellphone number. I'm not shy, and I promise you via a manly virtual handshake that if you can solve my issue you will receive your $25 amazon giftcard within 24 hours max.

Have you tried DVI 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

Have you tried DVI 

"I tried the display port, hdmi, and the big clunky white connector. All of them on the proper settings read no signal." I tried DVI (clunky white connector), it responded the same. In my frustration I forgot the name, lol.

Use a Dual Link DVI cable, that's the only way that card can output the native resolution of the display, is it a dual link DVI? And did you ensure to connect it to the DVI-D port on your card?

It's possible that only one of them is Dual Link.

Use a Dual Link DVI cable, that's the only way that card can output the native resolution of the display.

What is a Dual Link DVI cable?

well With the laptop the monitor has automatically been made into a n extension of the desktop, and the laptop screen iS still set as the primary one, this a setting within windows. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

tuzbC.png

Thanks, the one I'm using is Dual Link then. There is no gap in it.

1) Try a factory reset on the screen. Menu key > System Setup > Reset > Yes (Normally this path)

2) Just make sure the screen inputs set to HDMI. You might already have, doesn't hurt to double check. My screen has multiple hdmi inputs so gotta find the right number.

3) Boot with a different cable and install updated gfx drivers.

4) Try just onboard hdmi (no video card plugged in)

When plugged into your laptop, it's extending the display, so that is why no icons (think 2 screens)

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

It should work automatically, but as @Askew said, you might need to use a dual-link DVI cable. It'll probably work perfectly with the GTX780Ti - my best guess is that your older GPU is just slowly showing signs of age.

Try using the on-monitor options to change the display settings. I'm not in front of my PB278Q right now, but I know there's a few ways to mess around with it.

Dual-link DVI is a high bandwidth alternative to standard DVI, allowing you to push past 1920x1080. It's pretty well been crushed by display port at this time - but older GPUs seem to have a twig up their arses about sticking to dual-link DVI.

Edit: Changed wording, it sounded like I said dual-link is 1920x1080.

Pew Pew Helicopters

Thanks, the one I'm using is Dual Link then. There is no gap in it.

Try the other DVI port, it's possible the card only has one DVI-D.

Techinally the card should also work with the display over DisplayPort though at this resolution...

1) Try a factory reset on the screen. Menu key > System Setup > Reset > Yes (Normally this path)

2) Just make sure the screen inputs set to HDMI. You might already have, doesn't hurt to double check. My screen has multiple hdmi inputs so gotta find the right number.

3) Boot with a different cable and install updated gfx drivers.

4) Try just onboard hdmi (no video card plugged in)

When plugged into your laptop, it's extending the display, so that is why no icons (think 2 screens)

I can't factory reset it while it's plugged into my desktop, because the PB278Q will not allow menu access unless it is already receiving a signal.

Try the other DVI port, it's possible the card only has one DVI-D.

Techinally the card should also work with the display over DisplayPort though at this resolution...

What is a DVI-D? I'm learning a lot in such a short amount of time. No fix yet though.

I can't factory reset it while it's plugged into my desktop, because the PB278Q will not allow menu access unless it is already receiving a signal.

If you remove the GPU from the PC then the iGPU on the 4770K will come on, and you can try connecting the monitor to the HDMI port on the motherboard's I/O panel where the audio jacks/USB ports are and see if it gets a signal then.

What is a DVI-D? I'm learning a lot in such a short amount of time. No fix yet though.

DVI-D means DVI dual link, it's a higher bandwidth version of DVI that uses the same connector but more pins.

DVI is just regular single link digital video interface, it carries less bandwidth and less pins.

DVI-I is DVI Integrated, it is capable of both DVI-D and also outputting analog signal to use with DVI-VGA adapters for compatibility with old displays.

DVI and HDMI use the same protocol for video signal, but DVI cannot carry audio.

It should work automatically, but as @Askew said, you might need to use a dual-link DVI cable. It'll probably work perfectly with the GTX780Ti - my best guess is that your older GPU is just slowly showing signs of age.

Try using the on-monitor options to change the display settings. I'm not in front of my PB278Q right now, but I know there's a few ways to mess around with it.

Dual-link DVI is a high bandwidth alternative to standard DVI, allowing you to push past 1920x1080. It's pretty well been crushed by display port at this time - but older GPUs seem to have a twig up their arses about sticking to dual-link DVI.

Edit: Changed wording, it sounded like I said dual-link is 1920x1080.

I'm not worried about optimization, or getting the best performance. I can worry about that later. For now I just want my monitor to display SOMETHING from my computer. Anything. I want it to stop saying no signal, and I'd use a 100x100 resolution option if I had to, if it meant my display would finally work for my PC. I'll try the Dual-Link DVI during my primary attempts to get this to work from now on, maybe you meant my card won't want to work any other way, so DVI is my only option. (I interpreted it as you saying DVI was my best option for this card, not only option, and I'm not worried about best yet)

If you remove the GPU from the PC then the iGPU on the 4770K will come on, and you can try connecting the monitor to the HDMI port on the motherboard/s IO panel where the audio jacks/USB ports are and see if it gets a signal then.

I will try this right now. I didn't know the GPU had to be disabled(removed) for the MSI Mpower Max HDMI / Displayport slot to work.

I will try this right now. I didn't know the GPU had to be disabled(removed) for the MSI Mpower Max HDMI / Displayport slot to work.

Yes, if a PCIE GPU is detected the system will disable the iGPU.

Hopefully you get some good news from the iGPU. I'm guessing that your graphics card (in)conveniently died - but this will definitely tell us what's up with it.

Well, it'll narrow it a little.

Pew Pew Helicopters

You don't happen to have another computer monitor with DVI connections to test out do you? this would either tell us if it works the pb278q may need to go back to the store, if it doesn't work somethings gone wrong within the computer. Just throwing suggestions out there. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

You don't happen to have another computer monitor with DVI connections to test out do you? this would either tell us if it works the pb278q may need to go back to the store, if it doesn't work somethings gone wrong within the computer. Just throwing suggestions out there. 

He posted above that he tested it with an alt machine, it worked, he only can't get signal from the 5770.

Yes, if a PCIE GPU is detected the system will disable the iGPU.

got it to work partly. It's showing me an MSI screen with a bunch of motherboard options on my monitor. It's not showing me the screen where I can install windows and etc. Is there some way for me to get to that screen?

I appreciate all of the help, and I think hard on every comment posted (=

got it to work partly. It's showing me an MSI screen with a bunch of motherboard options on my monitor. It's not showing me the screen where I can install windows and etc. Is there some way for me to get to that screen?

We are winning now, the display problem is over, that's the BIOS, you have to go into the settings for the boot device inside the BIOS, and set the PC to boot from whatever drive contains your windows disc (disc drive).

It could be represented by a slightly different logo in the menu than regular hard drives, as it's an optical drive. (I know this is the case with ASUS boards) MSI should be roughly similar.

It looks like the end of an era for your GPU, @Pajamasam - it'll be a good collectors item now, hah.

I honestly wouldn't have even thought about testing the iGPU. It's far too early in the morning for my caffeine-less brain to function. Agh.

Pew Pew Helicopters