Hard Drive Quality for RAID?

Daphnis26

Hi, I'm looking into buying a NAS or RAID system to store my project files, primarily video and 3D graphics files. I'd like to spend under $600 if possible. I've looked at quite a few options and hard drives. Some manufacturers seem to offer a line of hdds for various prices, but I'm not sure if I need higher grade hdds for what I'm trying to do. I'd rather save some money, but not at the cost of reliability or performance.

I'd like to have at least 8tb of usable space.

I'm considering something like this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111149&cm_re=raid_one-_-16-111-149-_-Product

With 4 of these:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338&cm_re=seagate_4tb-_-22-178-338-_-Product

Is this a good option or should I be considering higher grade hard drives for this type of configuration?

Any help or input is welcome! Thank you!

I heard WD Reds or Greens are great for NAS storage systems. I don't know much about SeaGate drives however.

I heard WD Reds or Greens are great for NAS storage systems. I don't know much about SeaGate drives however.

Never buy a green, get the others instead :)

Never buy a green, get the others instead :)

Linus has a lot of Green drives lol I guess he doesn't know :D

Hey thanks, yes I've been looking at the WD Reds as well. A 4TB WD Red costs around $200, so I'm wondering if the extra money is worth it. Seagate also has more expensive drives.

Linus has a lot of Green drives lol I guess he doesn't know :D

He also wears socks with sandals, I'm not stop sure we can trust him at this point... :D

Hey thanks, yes I've been looking at the WD Reds as well. A 4TB WD Red costs around $200, so I'm wondering if the extra money is worth it. Seagate also has more expensive drives.

Well you do get a good 3year warranty.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

In my opinion yes, they are very reliable and are designed to be used in that environment and as previously mentioned you also get a 3 year warranty which basically ensures you a 3 year operation time or you get an entirely new drive.

In my opinion yes, they are very reliable and are designed to be used in that environment and as previously mentioned you also get a 3 year warranty which basically ensures you a 3 year operation time or you get an entirely new drive.

Cool, do 4 WD Reds and that RAID device seem like a good solution to you guys?

Cool, do 4 WD Reds and that RAID device seem like a good solution to you guys?

Sounds good to me :) If you'd like a second opinion you could always just wait for another user to reply like @AlwaysFSX

I vote for the cheaper Seagates, not to save money, but so that you can buy more of them.

For home storage I generally recommend getting more cheap drives for higher levels of redundancy, over getting fewer more expensive "higher quality" drives.

Reds IMO. Actually fuck it, just not greens.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

For home storage I generally recommend getting more cheap drives for higher levels of redundancy, over getting fewer more expensive "higher quality" drives.

^This is a very sound strategy.

Although I have had very good experiences with the Reds. :)

Seagate also make NAS drives, FYI.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Reds aren't that great either, they're really overrated. They are "24 hour certified", but after all they're nothing more than consumer drives, meaning they aren't any better or worse than some other "non-24 hour certified" drives.

I have heard Greens are a disaster in RAID configurations. I'm running those 4TB Seagate drives you linked in a RAID5 myself (3 of them), and they are doing just fine.

I'd just say, go for the Seagate drives  ;) .

Reds aren't that great either, they're really overrated.

I wouldn't exactly call them great, but they've done the job I've

asked them to do so far. They're quiet, don't consume a lot of

power and I haven't had any issues.

One thing I noticed about both the Reds and the Seagate NAS drives:

They're certified to run at higher temps than other drives (even

the enterprise ones), up to 70 deg C IIRC. Presumably to make them

suitable for NAS enclosures with bad airflow?

But in the end, the Red primarily seems to be a Green with some

slight changes to the hardware and a different firmware, not the

reinvention of the wheel. Then again, unless you have some very

special requirements, an HDD is an HDD is an HDD for the most

part in today's market, the differences aren't really all that

significant in most consumer scenarios.

I have heard Greens are a disaster in RAID configurations.

Yeah, I'd estimate any drive with an aggressive spin-down policy

is really unsuited for being run on a RAID controller, as it's

too easily dropped from the array. I haven't really read about any

issues with software RAID yet though, would be very curious about

that.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hi, I'm looking into buying a NAS or RAID system to store my project files, primarily video and 3D graphics files. I'd like to spend under $600 if possible. I've looked at quite a few options and hard drives. Some manufacturers seem to offer a line of hdds for various prices, but I'm not sure if I need higher grade hdds for what I'm trying to do. I'd rather save some money, but not at the cost of reliability or performance.

I'd like to have at least 8tb of usable space.

I'm considering something like this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111149&cm_re=raid_one-_-16-111-149-_-Product

With 4 of these:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338&cm_re=seagate_4tb-_-22-178-338-_-Product

Is this a good option or should I be considering higher grade hard drives for this type of configuration?

Any help or input is welcome! Thank you!

If you use RAID 5 or RAID 6, you'll want to use a NAS-certified drive like a WD Red or Seagate NAS. If you're just doing RAID 1 or RAID 10 you can get away with a Seagate Desktop, although I still would recommend a Red or NAS drive. For that enclosure, go with a Red or NAS drive.

If you end up with an enclosure with lot of drives (6 or more) very close together, you might want to start thinking about going with better quality drives, notably the WD Se series. You can certainly get away with dozens of Reds or NAS drives in close proximity, but it's not a recommended configuration. You should be fine with Reds or NAS drives.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Never buy a WD green HDD for a NAS system. The have a power saving feature that will cause most NAS systems to spit them out, thinking they're dead way before they actually die.

Go with the WD Reds, you will thank us later. Reds run cooler, quieter, and last longer.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5