Question of the day. Can a switch take a load of the router

118killbill
Go to solution Solved by skywake,

If you're going to get a second NAS and, I assume, run regular backups between the two. If that's over that single link between the two switches then you could get a bit of a performance hit when using that same link in some other way. However if you have both on the same switch then the shared bandwidth will be limited to 1Gbps between them if you access them from the other switch. In theory.

In practice? Not really. You can probably remove any even theoretical bandwidth problems by limiting the devices on the smaller switch to things that aren't ever going to use much bandwidth. Printers, wireless speakers etc. Go further and put all of the stuff that will rarely touch the NAS on that side also. Game consoles and so on. But with 3+ and 6? You're probably not going to have that much overlap in usage anyways. It's not like you're ever going to sit down and run backups on everything while simultaneously downloading updates while trying to do some Steam in-home streaming. And if you did you'd be hitting all sorts of other walls anyway.

Then again, it's not that much of a cost. Why not?

Sitting on the kazi,had a question pop up.

Can using a switch for all of your wired connections take a load of the router?

For example I have a netgear with 4 ports all wired up (2 pc,1 NAS, 1 going to switch)

I have a 8 port netgear GS108 8 port switch with 7 ports all wired up (1 from the router rest 6 from tvs amps etc etc)

Now I was thinking as you do when your on the kazi if all wired connections went I to my switch (more port switch) would it ease the hit on my router.

What's your thoughts folks.

Yes, it would. For example, the traffic to the NAS wouldn't have to travel as far. And depending on your router (if its not gigabit) it could also speed up the connection to the NAS.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

the router probably has no problem in handling the current traffic, so you wouldn't benefit from an everything-wired-to-the-switch configuration

Router has its fair share of work cut out for it with 5 plus wireless devices connecting. Looking at stream lining my setup as I will be adding another NAS unit, and some additional wired and wireless hardware to the mix.

@Ciccioo buddy your avatars going to give me nightmares.

The short answer is yes.

You most likely won't notice any real world improvements. But consumer grade unmanaged gigabit switches are so cheap, why not?

If you're going to get a second NAS and, I assume, run regular backups between the two. If that's over that single link between the two switches then you could get a bit of a performance hit when using that same link in some other way. However if you have both on the same switch then the shared bandwidth will be limited to 1Gbps between them if you access them from the other switch. In theory.

In practice? Not really. You can probably remove any even theoretical bandwidth problems by limiting the devices on the smaller switch to things that aren't ever going to use much bandwidth. Printers, wireless speakers etc. Go further and put all of the stuff that will rarely touch the NAS on that side also. Game consoles and so on. But with 3+ and 6? You're probably not going to have that much overlap in usage anyways. It's not like you're ever going to sit down and run backups on everything while simultaneously downloading updates while trying to do some Steam in-home streaming. And if you did you'd be hitting all sorts of other walls anyway.

Then again, it's not that much of a cost. Why not?

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

• 2 months later...

Hey guys. I wanted to share an update with you. My NAS synology ds214play got hacked

Went to log in and got the damn Synolocker ransom screen. Luckily for me I had the second NAS running backup. If you have a synology NAS unit update your DSM to the latest update.