Painting Fractal design define R4

Go to solution Solved by OmanGS,

Buy good product and follow the general rules of panting - prep the ever-living hell out of it, prep it again, and then paint it (spray cans are the easiest).

You'll want to check out some tutorials on surface preparation if you haven't already. It's quite easy, but it's nice to see how to do it prior to "experimenting" for your first time.

A quick search on YouTube should find a few thousand videos for you, even computer-specific ones.

Edit: PlastiDip is good, but it's a totally different beast in comparison to paint. It's a noticeable coating once done, no a thin layer of paint. If you do go with plastidip, you may have rubbing issues down the road that will tear it on the edges.

I'm thinking of painting my white pci slot covers and drive pallets in my fractal design R4. Any ideas on the easiest way to do this? I'm going to paint them red to match my red and black colour scheme.

Just an average guy with a dream that one day he will own a custom watercooling loop.

Yeah maybe I was looking at plasti dip but im concerned about it peeling away over time. 

Just an average guy with a dream that one day he will own a custom watercooling loop.

spray can?

Yeah maybe I was looking at plasti dip but im concerned about it peeling away over time. 

Buy good product and follow the general rules of panting - prep the ever-living hell out of it, prep it again, and then paint it (spray cans are the easiest).

You'll want to check out some tutorials on surface preparation if you haven't already. It's quite easy, but it's nice to see how to do it prior to "experimenting" for your first time.

A quick search on YouTube should find a few thousand videos for you, even computer-specific ones.

Edit: PlastiDip is good, but it's a totally different beast in comparison to paint. It's a noticeable coating once done, no a thin layer of paint. If you do go with plastidip, you may have rubbing issues down the road that will tear it on the edges.

Pew Pew Helicopters

Okay I will have a look around. Have you ever used plasti dip? If you have is it effective or does it peel away easily?

Okay I will have a look around. Have you ever used plasti dip? If you have is it effective or does it peel away easily?

I actually use plastidip on a lot of my vehicles. It gives them a good covering aesthetically while protecting against small scratches and the like.

Honestly, plastidip is pretty damn strong. It takes a lot to "rub" it off or peel it, but if you somehow move your PC around a lot or take the pieces on/off that you've covered with plastidip, it will rub (cases have much closer edges than car hoods, hah).

You should have no issue, to be honest. It's a big "what if" as far as damage to the plastidip goes.

Pew Pew Helicopters

I actually use plastidip on a lot of my vehicles. It gives them a good covering aesthetically while protecting against small scratches and the like.

Honestly, plastidip is pretty damn strong. It takes a lot to "rub" it off or peel it, but if you somehow move your PC around a lot or take the pieces on/off that you've covered with plastidip, it will rub (cases have much closer edges than car hoods, hah).

You should have no issue, to be honest. It's a big "what if" as far as damage to the plastidip goes.

Okay thanks alot I will probably try both at some point.

try removing the base that is already on it with prep then possibly using a 2 PAK system, which will ensure it won't peel away; but be warned 2 pak paint isn't that cheap but works like a dream. Also see if you can get hydrotop from Dupont they lead in the paint industry. 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS