G502 and MX Ergo replacements without rubberized parts?

GarlicDeliverySystem

Hello everyone,

I am currently running a regular old G502 Hero on my gaming rig, as well as a MX Ergo trackball at the office. So far pretty happy with both of them and almost no complaints.

Almost.

Now the thing is, both of these have rubberized surfaces. I mean this soft, grippy stuff instead of regular old hard plastic. I am sure most of you are aware that this stuff doesn't age particularly well, either just disintegrating or getting sticky and gooey. Some of that can be mitigated by cleaning off with a bit of iso-propylalcohol/water, but that doesn't work forever. Both of my devices are now well over 5 years old, showing clear signs of wear and I am thinking about replacing them, despite both of them working still.

Now, I would love to have replacements that don't have this issue in the future. Unfortunately I haven't really kept up with the market and so I thought it might be a good idea to ask around before just buying another set each from Logitech.

My requirements are for the G502 replacement:

• at least five buttons, i.e. left+right, wheel, two thumb buttons.
  • no/little rubberized stuff
  • Infinite scroll wheel is nice, but not that necessary.
  • no bloatware

Weight, connectivity are not that much a concern. Budget about the same as a G502, though I would go higher for something with added features. So ca. 50-100EUR.

For the MX Ergo replacement: Ideally the same without the rubber. I love the layout and I got really used to it, I just can't stand the 6 year old rubber anymore. Budget not that much a factor here, already happy to get any idea. And it is for work after all.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

2 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Hello everyone,

I am currently running a regular old G502 Hero on my gaming rig, as well as a MX Ergo trackball at the office. So far pretty happy with both of them and almost no complaints.

Almost.

Now the thing is, both of these have rubberized surfaces. I mean this soft, grippy stuff instead of regular old hard plastic. I am sure most of you are aware that this stuff doesn't age particularly well, either just disintegrating or getting sticky and gooey. Some of that can be mitigated by cleaning off with a bit of iso-propylalcohol/water, but that doesn't work forever. Both of my devices are now well over 5 years old, showing clear signs of wear and I am thinking about replacing them, despite both of them working still.

Now, I would love to have replacements that don't have this issue in the future. Unfortunately I haven't really kept up with the market and so I thought it might be a good idea to ask around before just buying another set each from Logitech.

My requirements are for the G502 replacement:

• at least five buttons, i.e. left+right, wheel, two thumb buttons.
  • no/little rubberized stuff
  • Infinite scroll wheel is nice, but not that necessary.
  • no bloatware

Weight, connectivity are not that much a concern. Budget about the same as a G502, though I would go higher for something with added features. So ca. 50-100EUR.

For the MX Ergo replacement: Ideally the same without the rubber. I love the layout and I got really used to it, I just can't stand the 6 year old rubber anymore. Budget not that much a factor here, already happy to get any idea. And it is for work after all.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Maybe do a search for rubber the same thickness and replace that yourself. 

3 minutes ago, BillBill said:

Maybe do a search for rubber the same thickness and replace that yourself. 

Could do that, but then I'd have to do the same shit every so often. Plus I doubt I would be happy with it.

So I thought for the next upgrade I just buy something that doesn't have the problem to begin with and keep that for the foreseeable future.

MX Ergo owner suffering from same shit soft plastics here. If push comes to shove, isopropyl alcohol can be used to remove all soft plastic coating however you will need to sand the top layer down and paint it over (otherwise it will be slippery). Mine is starting to wear down hard, this is what I am planning on doing. 

I do wish Logitech released not so shit and up to date Ergo though. This is the only thing I use that has to use MicroUSB to charge.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

57 minutes ago, Levent said:

I do wish Logitech released not so shit and up to date Ergo though. This is the only thing I use that has to use MicroUSB to charge.

Indeed, almost everything is USB-C now in the office, luckily the headset I have been issued is the exception. So that cable does double duty for charging every now and then.

Worst case is I will be trying to follow your advice, but I was really hoping to find an easier solution.

Anyone know whether the G903 has the same material? From the promo images it is kinda hard to tell.

I wish they still produced mice with the texture of my G700s, because I think it's great. It's not soft/rubbery, but it is more grippy than plain plastic.

I wish Logitech produced a version of mice that has soft/rubber material that didn't have it so we could choose.

(I am also looking for a new mice)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking