Cooling GPU just with case fans?

Stahlmann

This is just a thought. So idk if anyone has tried this before, but since case fans are significantly more powerful then the ones included in the GPU coolers, could I theoretically just take off the plastic cover and the fans and just cool the GPU with the bottom intake case fans? With cases like the O11 and a GPU that comes with a 3-4 slot cooler, then using thicker fans like the T30, there should be enough static pressure to effectively cool a GPU. Maybe I'm just imagining a problem that doesn't exist... But previous coolers like the Noctua Edition GPUs from Asus have shown that using fewer case fans can be much better in terms of noise / temperature than using more smaller fans.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

This is just a thought. So idk if anyone has tried this before, but since case fans are significantly more powerful then the ones included in the GPU coolers, could I theoretically just take off the plastic cover and the fans and just cool the GPU with the bottom intake case fans? With cases like the O11 and a GPU that comes with a 3-4 slot cooler, then using thicker fans like the T30, there should be enough static pressure to effectively cool a GPU. Maybe I'm just imagining a problem that doesn't exist... But previous coolers like the Noctua Edition GPUs from Asus have shown that using fewer case fans can be much better in terms of noise / temperature than using more smaller fans.

You are doing to have to to run the bottom case fans at 100% and probably not even come close to the cooling that GPU fans provide unless the case fans are very close to the GPU.
Having bottom fans blow cool fresh air to the GPU fans so they can spin slower is definitely the way to go if you want a silent system.

This is very popular in some SFF case circles. Off the top of my head, I know i've seen a number of CM NR200 builds with the GPU de-shrouded and just the bottom case fans cooling the card. 

I think unless the case is quite small and you can "duct" the fans into the GPU heatsink it may not be super effective. I'm thinking about it in an O11 and the fans are likely too far away from the GPU itself to do a really good job. 

Just a few quick examples of NR200 users who do this.

Nr200 strix 3070 deshroud : r/sffpc

NR200 x MSI Ventus deshroud mod (Noctua NF Series Version) by johannchung -  Thingiverse

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

For the same reason car radiator fans have shrouds around them, GPU fans have shrouds around them.

Directing and containing an airflow pattern is far more effective than just throwing airflow over the entire heatsink.

IMG_3312.jpeg.a893acbdd790d29a34babe06ab7ef508.jpeg

you’d think simply more exposed radiator or heatsink space would be better but it isn’t, a lot of air will just move around it because the heatsink itself is a path of resistance for airflow, you need ducting and fans to keep pressurized airflow over the heatsink 

I don't see myself ever going SFF. Noise is just too big of a factor for me. So I guess it just doesn't make sense unless you clamp the fans directly to the heatsink.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

For the same reason car radiator fans have shrouds around them, GPU fans have shrouds around them.

Directing and containing an airflow pattern is far more effective than just throwing airflow over the entire heatsink.

you’d think simply more exposed radiator or heatsink space would be better but it isn’t, a lot of air will just move around it because the heatsink itself is a path of resistance for airflow, you need ducting and fans to keep pressurized airflow over the heatsink 

I kinda remember some people doing work on deshrouded GPUs when the fans died and discovered that a case fan does a better job of cooling for the same level of noise than the fans that come preinstalled. I think that it's because the fans on the shroud are VERY thin and low profile. so they can't move as much air. 

5950X/4090FE primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I don't see myself ever going SFF

TBH there has only ever been one person I have known who NEEDED sff. He lives on a boat. 

5950X/4090FE primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Yes, I have currently done this to my Zotach 4080. I lost the 0rpm feature but overall the graphics card is cooler and less noisy. I did it because my Zotach fans were noisy even at low RPMs.

I didn't do it properly or anything, I just ziptied 2 Arctic P14 fans the heatsink after taking out the shroud. Overall, not sure if it was worth it, it's going to be a headache when I eventually want to sell the card as I have to put it back together. But at least it's less noisy when I'm working.

1 minute ago, Jon-Slow said:

Yes, I have currently done this to my Zotach 4080. I lost the 0rpm feature but overall the graphics card is cooler and less noisy. I did it because my Zotach fans were noisy even at low RPMs.

I didn't do it properly or anything, I just ziptied 2 Arctic P14 fans the heatsink after taking out the shroud. Overall, not sure if it was worth it, it's going to be a headache when I eventually want to sell the card as I have to put it back together. But at least it's less noisy when I'm working.

I used an aftermarket cooler on a 1080Ti in the past because it came with a crappy blower cooler. I put 2 NF-F12 Nocuta fans on it and it was pretty quiet.

What I'm trying to describe with this post is not having any fans directly on the GPU, be it stock fans or ones with zipties, just having the case fans provide the airflow.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

What I'm trying to describe with this post is not having any fans directly on the GPU, be it stock fans or ones with zipties, just having the case fans provide the airflow.

Yeah they'll simply be too far away to make effective use of the heatsink and properly push air through it. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

That's how server GPUs and other AICs are cooled, albeit with a different airflow orientation. They may or may not have shrouds to channel the airflow, but no fans attached either way.

Examples:

Spoiler

Tesla M40:
NVIDIA_Tesla-M40-12GB_GPU_Accelerator.pn

Tesla M2070:

71COU-UfFFL._AC_SL1455_.jpg

Those have a very specific airflow in mind, though. I tried running an M2070 on a standard ATX case and it reach 140ºC upon applying any load. But putting a couple of fans next to it with a PCI fan bracket brought it down to 60-70ºC.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

GPU fans, by default, run less than case fans until you've made the GPU hot enough that they have to kick in. If you're not really doing anything challenging with your GC (which means you didn't need one), then you can get away with this strategy. Otherwise, you'll just need to make your case fan curves MORE aggressive in order to provide more cool air to your GC. If you don't have temperature control (A/C) and you actually NEED your GC, I would suggest that this isn't necessarily a good idea. You can always try and report back your results - we love to hear about experiments!

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂