Is there a technical reason for these 3 design decisions on T2 and later Macs or is it just planned obselesence?

1. Why did Apple move the UEFI from the SPI ROM chip to the main SSD, rendering the device a brick if the internal SSD fails (on MacBook Pro A1706, A1707 and 12 inch Retina MacBook you could boot off a external drive if the internal drive failed).

2. Why do you need to connect the fucking thing to the internet if you need to reset it? Like actually why? What happens if Apple goes bankrupt? What happens if you can't afford a internet connection anymore? What happens if Apple arbitrarily decides fuck you and bricks your Mac (which they have done on iPhone 6s running iOS 9 already).

3. Why does touching any key on the keyboard turn the damn thing on unless you shut it down in a specific way (Command+Control+Right Shift for 7 seconds, then keep holding these + the power button for 7 seconds. Is it even turned off in this state?

If there are any Apple engineers or someone of that kind here I would appreciate if you gave a answer.

Note I am not a Apple hater. I just am curious because 2 and 3 in particular have no profit incentive for Apple.

3 minutes ago, anirudthelinuxwIzard said:

1. Why did Apple move the UEFI from the SPI ROM chip to the main SSD, rendering the device a brick if the internal SSD fails (on MacBook Pro A1706, A1707 and 12 inch Retina MacBook you could boot off a external drive if the internal drive failed).

2. Why do you need to connect the fucking thing to the internet if you need to reset it? Like actually why? What happens if Apple goes bankrupt? What happens if you can't afford a internet connection anymore? What happens if Apple arbitrarily decides fuck you and bricks your Mac (which they have done on iPhone 6s running iOS 9 already).

3. Why does touching any key on the keyboard turn the damn thing on unless you shut it down in a specific way (Command+Control+Right Shift for 7 seconds, then keep holding these + the power button for 7 seconds. Is it even turned off in this state?

If there are any Apple engineers or someone of that kind here I would appreciate if you gave a answer.

Note I am not a Apple hater. I just am curious because 2 and 3 in particular have no profit incentive for Apple.

1. Because it saves them a few cents in manufacturing cost.

2. Because Apple are control freaks, they don't consider you the owner of the device.  Well it might be so if you report it as stolen it will brick.

3. Because people generally want their computer to respond instantly.  When not in use, the lid should be closed so this can't happen.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 minutes ago, anirudthelinuxwIzard said:

I just am curious because 2 and 3 in particular have no profit incentive for Apple.

2) isn't a problem for the vast majority of people, actually it's much easier for them than making boot media... usually without a working computer if they have to go through that process.

3) Definitely has incentive as that's part of the "experience" of the thing always being ready as soon as you open it or press a key instead of having to wait for the thing to boot.

Apple targets non-techy users, those are done to cater to them.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, MiszS said:

As an apple hater, I can confirm it's just planned obsolescence (like everything apple makes)

Oh hi there Apple hater!!!

1) Security would be my guess. Its not like most end users are able to do BGA soldering themselves, the ones that can also can buy programmers from China and dont rely on apple.

2) what happens if society collapses?

3) And this is a problem how? Devices never actually turn off due to apples MDM/ device tracking.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

1. Because it saves them a few cents in manufacturing cost.

2. Because Apple are control freaks, they don't consider you the owner of the device.  Well it might be so if you report it as stolen it will brick.

3. Because people generally want their computer to respond instantly.  When not in use, the lid should be closed so this can't happen.

1. They use a SPI chip for iBoot, so I don't understand that.
2. Yeah I have to agree with you on that, I do not like how Apple does that. What I've wondered though is controlling app distribution for example, it has a clear profit incentive for Apple. What kind of profit incentive does this shit have for Apple? And for the second part, why can't they let you use it without phoning home if Permissive or Reduced security is enabled, because that means it's impossible for it to be Activation Locked.
3. The point I'm making is why can't I turn off my own fucking device fully?

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

2) isn't a problem for the vast majority of people, actually it's much easier for them than making boot media... usually without a working computer if they have to go through that process.

3) Definitely has incentive as that's part of the "experience" of the thing always being ready as soon as you open it or press a key instead of having to wait for the thing to boot.

Apple targets non-techy users, those are done to cater to them.

2) I'd like to quote @Levent on this, what happens if society collapses, I can't use my own fucking computer?

3) Yeah but the point I'm making is why can't I even turn of my own fucking computer fully?

And for your last part, I know a lot of Apple users are tech illiterate , but isn't that a bit unfair? Take me for example, I use some Apple products, but does that make non-techy? I feel hurt 😞

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

1) Security would be my guess. Its not like most end users are able to do BGA soldering themselves, the ones that can also can buy programmers from China and dont rely on apple.

2) what happens if society collapses?

3) And this is a problem how? Devices never actually turn off due to apples MDM/ device tracking.

1) Why?
2) Exactly.
3) Isn't that unsettling that you can't turn off your own fucking device?

3 minutes ago, anirudthelinuxwIzard said:

2) I'd like to quote @Levent on this, what happens if society collapses, I can't use my own fucking computer?

3) Yeah but the point I'm making is why can't I even turn of my own fucking computer fully?

And for your last part, I know a lot of Apple users are tech illiterate , but isn't that a bit unfair? Take me for example, I use some Apple products, but does that make non-techy? I feel hurt 😞

I use Apple devices all day every day, I bought them knowing full on what the downsides are.  None of those mean you cant use your device. If you are going to be using an 2017 touchbar mac in a zombie apocalpyse you probably arent going to be doing an BGA chip swap around a camp fire.

3) Read the fine print.

You are just extremely exaggerating. If these are things you cant give up on, then Apple devices are not for you. Simple as that.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, anirudthelinuxwIzard said:

You can until it fails... but obviously you'll probably want to find a way to hunt to keep feeding yourself instead of using your mac.

Because Apple decided you didn't need to. 

Take me for example, I use some Apple products, but does that make non-techy?

If you don't like what they do don't buy their products.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Levent said:

I use Apple devices all day every day, I bought them knowing full on what the downsides are.  None of those mean you cant use your device. If you are going to be using an 2017 touchbar mac in a zombie apocalpyse you probably arent going to be doing an BGA chip swap around a camp fire.

3) Read the fine print.

You are just extremely exaggerating. If these are things you cant give up on, then Apple devices are not for you. Simple as that.

Yeah I know, I don't mind it so much I wouldn't buy Apple products. Just wanted to know why. And for "read the fine print", what does that mean?

1 hour ago, anirudthelinuxwIzard said:

I'd guess this is done so you can't reset a stolen mac. Apple and other have been making it a lot harder to reset hardware that has been tied to an account already.

1 hour ago, anirudthelinuxwIzard said:

With most systems these days there isn't a hard line between on and off. There is almost always something running on a board when its 'shut down'. Its likely much easier to turn on, and why would you be pressing keys when its off for most use cases.