“Something happened and your pin isn’t available.”

Go to solution Solved by TetraSky,

If it's just to get your pictures off it... You could get them from Linux, no ? Simply install the thing to access NTFS file system and you should be able to get them.

I had that issue before, had to use command line to enable the Administrator account.

Here's a Reddit post that explains how to do it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsHelp/comments/zzqog6/comment/j2dbg2p/

I disabled secure boot so I could dual boot windows and Linux, but now my windows will not let me log in. 

I get “Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again” 

when I try to set it up again it takes me to my Microsoft account log in, but I can’t log in because Microsoft has decided to put “oops something went wrong, so we decided to lock your account for security reasons”

please if you have any ideas to fix this, I’ve tried secure boot and restoring to a previous save, doesn’t work. I have all of my family’s and my photos from the past 10 years on here…

If it's just to get your pictures off it... You could get them from Linux, no ? Simply install the thing to access NTFS file system and you should be able to get them.

I had that issue before, had to use command line to enable the Administrator account.

Here's a Reddit post that explains how to do it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsHelp/comments/zzqog6/comment/j2dbg2p/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Secure Boot stores a PIN code in the UEFI, If you reset CMOS or disable Secure Boot the PIN code will be deleted from the UEFI.

That's why i always have Secure Boot disabled.

There is a copy of the PIN code in the Microsoft account you used for installing Windows - That's how you retrieve it (but you will have to turn on Secure Boot for it to work).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Secure Boot stores a PIN code in the UEFI, If you reset CMOS or disable Secure Boot the PIN code will be deleted from the UEFI.

That's why i always have Secure Boot disabled.

There is a copy of the PIN code in the Microsoft account you used for installing Windows - That's how you retrieve it (but you will have to turn on Secure Boot for it to work).

Strange, I've toggled secure boot off before and never run into this.  Although I use Fedora so technically don't need to turn it off.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, VanillaSpooks said:

I have all of my family’s and my photos from the past 10 years on here

once you recover the photos make sure to make multiple different backups like one on a random (portable) hdd/ssd, another in the cloud, etc. just so theres multiple places where if one or a few fail your photos arent all gone just like that

learned that the hard way myself but i was a kid and i didnt know how to backup photos, now the phone the photo is on refuses to boot into the os so i might have to go to a data recovery center if all else fails (swapping battery, swapping board into diff working phone, etc.)