Constant BSOD, Need Help Pinpointing Issues

kiron
Go to solution Solved by kiron,

UPDATE:

I appreciate the help everyone, I FINALLY WAS ABLE TO PINPOINT THE PROBLEM. IT WAS THE DANG CPU, well the cpu memory controller,

I hit up a buddy of mine and inserted my ram into his pc, and it was working perfectly, so at that point it had to be the CPU or motherboard, I borrowed another compatible CPU and---- IT WORKED. All these frustrations I can finally put to rest and then dreadfully wait for Intel's warranty.

Hey there, I've been constantly getting irql_not_less_or_equal & page_fault_in_nonpaged_area bsod crashes constantly whenever I open certain games "Newer" games. Something to do with ntkrnlmp.exe?

So far I have high suspicion that it is my RAM that is the issue, however it passes Memtest86, Windows MemTest, and TM5 without issues.. The only test it has failed/struggled to start was y-cruncher's pi benchmark as well as Prime95's torture test, but I have realized these are known to fail sometimes. I have also tested used OCCT's memory stability test and it seems to be fine according to the system, however I curiously ran a CPU stability test and it led to a BSOD.

Before you say it could potentially be the GPU or PSU, I recently swapped my GPU into another system and it worked perfectly fine, the PSU has also shown to provide proper power to the components.

I also don't believe it's a driver issue/ integrity issue since I have done multiple sfc /scannow and DISM health check/restores, finding nothing. As well as reinstalling all drivers multiple times.

I don't quite fully understand the dmp files and was hoping someone could help me figure this out.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a2xlijxb9ros408/050824-19500-01.dmp/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/a6n3m5f0bmlwrjh/050824-22296-01.dmp/file

12 minutes ago, kiron said:

Hey there, I've been constantly getting irql_not_less_or_equal & page_fault_in_nonpaged_area bsod crashes constantly whenever I open certain games "Newer" games. Something to do with ntkrnlmp.exe?

So far I have high suspicion that it is my RAM that is the issue, however it passes Memtest86, Windows MemTest, and TM5 without issues.. The only test it has failed/struggled to start was y-cruncher's pi benchmark as well as Prime95's torture test, but I have realized these are known to fail sometimes. I have also tested used OCCT's memory stability test and it seems to be fine according to the system, however I curiously ran a CPU stability test and it led to a BSOD.

Before you say it could potentially be the GPU or PSU, I recently swapped my GPU into another system and it worked perfectly fine, the PSU has also shown to provide proper power to the components.

I also don't believe it's a driver issue/ integrity issue since I have done multiple sfc /scannow and DISM health check/restores, finding nothing. As well as reinstalling all drivers multiple times.

I don't quite fully understand the dmp files and was hoping someone could help me figure this out.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a2xlijxb9ros408/050824-19500-01.dmp/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/a6n3m5f0bmlwrjh/050824-22296-01.dmp/file

i would start with disconnecting everything from your mainboard that are not critical to run your system... fans disks usb devices etc.. 

if it still crashes, you don't say what cpu you have, or if it has an igpu.. but if it have take out the gpu and test again.. then removing all rams, and test with each in the second slot from the cpu. 

16 minutes ago, kiron said:

So far I have high suspicion that it is my RAM that is the issue, however it passes Memtest86, Windows MemTest, and TM5 without issues

means nothing

whats the ram config , also just post the rest of the specs

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

means nothing

whats the ram config , also just post the rest of the specs

CPU: i7 13700k

Motherboard:ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO

GPU: MSI RTX 4080 3X OC Ventus

PSU: Corsair HX Series™ HX1000

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 6000Mhz CL36

Storage: Sk Hynix Platinum P41

XMP Profile is off as well.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 133407.png

image.png

image.png

11 minutes ago, Robchil said:

i would start with disconnecting everything from your mainboard that are not critical to run your system... fans disks usb devices etc.. 

if it still crashes, you don't say what cpu you have, or if it has an igpu.. but if it have take out the gpu and test again.. then removing all rams, and test with each in the second slot from the cpu. 

Yes I have done that, Same issue occurs. I've tested the ram in different slots as well as testing one ram stick at a time. Same issue seems to occur.

Have you fully updated your Windows?

Just now, Jaw709 said:

Have you fully updated your Windows?

Yes, I have updated windows with all of the recommended updates as well as even resetting the PC to get a fresh copy.

11 minutes ago, Jaw709 said:

try this for your cpu/chipset drivers.. do "auto detect"

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html

Also:

-make sure your temps are not getting too high on CPU. You can just use Gpuz has a sensor for it (my have to enable) then go to "benchmark" tab of CpuZ and do stress test.

-sometimes caused by anti-virus, make sure it is uninstalled all together and reboot

-make sure your have some pagefile turned on "advanced system properties" > "advanced" > "performance settings" > "advanced tab" > change > turn it on for all drives > set > reboot

You might also gather useful info from CMD and running "perfmon /rel"

This is what i've gathered from the googleplex. It's a rather ambiguous error code with many possible causes. hope this helps

pull one of the ramsticks out and run it with a single stick alone in the machine and see if it stays stable in that configuration. try each stick alone in the machine.

42 minutes ago, Jaw709 said:

It's a rather ambiguous error code

irql_not_less_or_equal is usually just a ram problem. Either the memory itself or the way the board is managing it.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

pull one of the ramsticks out and run it with a single stick alone in the machine and see if it stays stable in that configuration. try each stick alone in the machine.

irql_not_less_or_equal is usually just a ram problem. Either the memory itself or the way the board is managing it.

I have tried this, testing it one at a time in DIMM_A2, then trying DIMM_B2. Both leading to the same BSOD/Error. Would this mean both of my ramsticks are faulty?

48 minutes ago, Jaw709 said:

Also:

-make sure your temps are not getting too high on CPU. You can just use Gpuz has a sensor for it (my have to enable) then go to "benchmark" tab of CpuZ and do stress test.

-sometimes caused by anti-virus, make sure it is uninstalled all together and reboot

-make sure your have some pagefile turned on "advanced system properties" > "advanced" > "performance settings" > "advanced tab" > change > turn it on for all drives > set > reboot

You might also gather useful info from CMD and running "perfmon /rel"

This is what i've gathered from the googleplex. It's a rather ambiguous error code with many possible causes. hope this helps

All Drivers are up-to-date, CPU Temperatures are normal and within optimal levels, I don't use any other Anti-Virus software besides the one provided by Windows already, Pagefile has already been turned on for all drives.

I just have no idea what's wrong anymore, but I appreciate the help regardless.

3 minutes ago, kiron said:

I have tried this, testing it one at a time in DIMM_A2, then trying DIMM_B2. Both leading to the same BSOD/Error. Would this mean both of my ramsticks are faulty?

well more likely the way the board is managing them isn't working is more likely than both sticks being bad.

is the boards bios up to date? update the bios and then try.

if that doesn't work try some different ram (different make/model) , if that doesn't work then try a different board (different make/model)

ram is SUPPOSED to be compatible with most boards and boards are SUPPOSED to be compatible with most ram. but it's pretty common these days to find combinations that either don;t work , or aren't working correctly and mismanaging the ram. with the large amounts of memory and speeds these days it's more and more common for these ram lockups to happen.

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

well more likely the way the board is managing them isn't working is more likely than both sticks being bad.

is the boards bios up to date? update the bios and then try.

if that doesn't work try some different ram (different make/model) , if that doesn't work then try a different board (different make/model)

ram is SUPPOSED to be compatible with most boards and boards are SUPPOSED to be compatible with most ram. but it's pretty common these days to find combinations that either don;t work , or aren't working correctly and mismanaging the ram. with the large amounts of memory and speeds these days it's more and more common for these ram lockups to happen.

Yeah BIOS is on the latest update, I currently don't have a way to swap out the ram for something else until I get a replacement to test...

Just now, kiron said:

I currently don't have a way to swap out the ram for something else until I get a replacement to test...

ok when you swap the ram for different ram then let us know the results

Until then if you're hoping for a software fix for the hardware related error then you're going to be spinning your wheels for quite a long time.

try reducing ram speed to 4800.. does it still crash then? without xmp.. 

if it don't crash then try running xmp with reduced speed like 5600mhz. 

due to quality of board and cpus not all memory can run at suggested speed

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

It's already at 4800 which can be seen in the screenshots and dump files.

@kiron Both crashes look like memory.Memory doesn't have to mean RAM, but it's usually the main suspect. Windows puts low priority data from RAM into the page file and loads it back in when needed so storage can look like memory (And memory can look like storage). The memory controller is in the CPU and if this fails it will just look like memory.

In your case, one is just a generic crash where it finds a page fault in random data (A page is a section of memory). The other was an error when compressing memory to the page file. So right now, it could be any of the above. If you have more dump files that could make me be a lot more certain about whether it's storage or RAM/CPU (You can't differentiate between RAM and CPU from dump files). 

1 hour ago, Bjoolz said:

@kiron Both crashes look like memory.Memory doesn't have to mean RAM, but it's usually the main suspect. Windows puts low priority data from RAM into the page file and loads it back in when needed so storage can look like memory (And memory can look like storage). The memory controller is in the CPU and if this fails it will just look like memory.

In your case, one is just a generic crash where it finds a page fault in random data (A page is a section of memory). The other was an error when compressing memory to the page file. So right now, it could be any of the above. If you have more dump files that could make me be a lot more certain about whether it's storage or RAM/CPU (You can't differentiate between RAM and CPU from dump files). 

you swapped the GPU into another system.. i assume it's ddr4 since you haven't tried to test it.. 

i would assume it's either mainboard ram or cpu that have issues. and would start with another ram kit.. make sure it's on the QVL list. 

UPDATE:

I appreciate the help everyone, I FINALLY WAS ABLE TO PINPOINT THE PROBLEM. IT WAS THE DANG CPU, well the cpu memory controller,

I hit up a buddy of mine and inserted my ram into his pc, and it was working perfectly, so at that point it had to be the CPU or motherboard, I borrowed another compatible CPU and---- IT WORKED. All these frustrations I can finally put to rest and then dreadfully wait for Intel's warranty.

8 hours ago, emosun said:

ok when you swap the ram for different ram then let us know the results

Until then if you're hoping for a software fix for the hardware related error then you're going to be spinning your wheels for quite a long time.

6 hours ago, Robchil said:

5 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

4 hours ago, Robchil said:

you swapped the GPU into another system.. i assume it's ddr4 since you haven't tried to test it.. 

i would assume it's either mainboard ram or cpu that have issues. and would start with another ram kit.. make sure it's on the QVL list. 

9 hours ago, kiron said:

no that would mean its either the cpu or board.

you didn't actually confirm your cpu was bad , you only confirmed that the board functions with a different cpu. until you actually replicate the problem with a different board with your original cpu then your board could also be bad.

On 5/10/2024 at 9:36 AM, emosun said:

no that would mean its either the cpu or board.

you didn't actually confirm your cpu was bad , you only confirmed that the board functions with a different cpu. until you actually replicate the problem with a different board with your original cpu then your board could also be bad.

I went back and did another test to confirm this, it was indeed the CPU that was bad. I used my CPU in another friend's system and it gave the same BSOD as it did in my build. Thanks though, It is probably safer to be 100% sure here in this case.