The Widest Gaming Setup

34 minutes ago, Redicat said:

If you think that the Audiance does not really have a big enough common sense and IQ? beyond 4:20 i was done with the video... about the failures it's all pretty much common sense to me you don't game on a proffesional billboard display that is 4500 DOLLARS!!    I don't know how much people earn in America but for me as an European that just is very very absurd to spend AT LEAST 500-600 more dollars instead of ANY TOP TIER Ultrawide Gaming Monitor... 

What do you expect a PRO/Business Bill Board to game properly??? man people need to use more common sense than this... 

I don't think people are this stupid idk Linus explained it well

Woah man, I never said anyone was stupid. I said I don't think the audiance is particulary interested in a 20 minute in depth video about digital signage.

Your correct nobody games on a $4500 billboard... but lots of people have $200 to $700 for an ultra wide monitor or multiple monitors and may want to game at (slightly more sensiable but still) similarily problematic aspect ratios. Those people (and myself) found this video very useful.

Your also correct that no one expects a PRO/Business Bill Board to game properly. However, as I said above, lots of people have an ultra wide monitor or multiple monitors and may want to game at (slightly more sensiable but still) similarily problematic aspect ratios. Those people (and myself) found this video very useful.

Because of this I think this was a pretty decent video.

Also, again, please reduce the underlining, bold sections and CAPITALISTAION. It really does make it difficult for me to read what your writing (my Dsylexia is quite bad). 🙂

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

It was only used to show the problems with ultra wide monitors at their worst. Magnified the problem if you will.

This (Thanks @IkeaGnome)

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

50 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Learning for what? to use a non-gaming monitor for gaming? uhh all that other stuff is certainly for the other channel idk what a waste of bandwith...

The history and application of monitors like this, and the missing support for super wide monitors. 

51 minutes ago, Redicat said:

software stuff and maybe also hardware setup

there's a lot of that in the video, but for the most part this does function as a typical monitor, negating the need to go into what display cables you need.

52 minutes ago, Redicat said:

It's 90% clickbait 10% truth

there's nothing clickbaity about the title and thumbnail. 

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

12 minutes ago, LMGcommunity said:

Statistically, this is extremely incorrect. We always appreciate the feedback, though! Good to get a perspective from all sides.

idk i saw a guy in the comment section saying he was gonna sue lmg or some crap like that

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

3 minutes ago, LMGcommunity said:

Statistically, this is extremely incorrect. We always appreciate the feedback, though! Good to get a perspective from all sides.

Hello! I am Julian. D I am 25.

Hmm as a consumer statistics on a YouTube video doesn't really matter It is the quality of the video's but at least the title was correct.. Maybe I should look towards Short Circuit/Tech Linked/Tech Quickie or Video's from the Lab??? Seems like i have been a Veteran here and the Channel used to be more seriously oriented 5 years ago and headed into a different direction. I could look into other YouTube channels from Linus Media Group but would be nice to switch things up and be slightly more technical about the right topic of-course.

Thanks for accepting the feedback ! And being understandable!

I don't know what that is all about but if you come to LTT for highly technical and informative videos, you're going to be disappointed. There are plenty of other avenues for things like that. 

LTT is doing what they find successful and that's entertainment. 

This video.. I turned my brain off and just watched Linus nerd out on some dumb LCD for a few minutes. It wasn't that serious.. for me at least.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

The history and application of monitors like this, and the missing support for super wide monitors. 

4:20 and that stuff is over once again... that is like 1/5 of the video..

There's a lot of that in the video, but for the most part this does function as a typical monitor, negating the need to go into what display cables you need.

Soo you're telling me a 4500 DOLLAR Professional Business Monitor functions as a regular display? That's not the point of the video it's about gaming i see... don't make me laugh 😅 Without V-SYNC, HDR, 10-BIT color, 500 NITS of brightness AND it has MOTION BLUR... pixel density is very poor considering the price etc etc not even mentioning OLED here all of this should have been mentioned to the Audience I don't specifically know what the issues are when they we're talking about it because the video is 25 minutes and i rather spent my time on something more productive.

There's nothing clickbaity about the title and thumbnail. 

Technically valid after 4:20. if you wanna watch all that yes...

Edited by Redicat
Added text, grammar correction

10 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I don't know what that is all about but if you come to LTT for highly technical and informative videos, you're going to be disappointed. There are plenty of other avenues for things like that. 

LTT is doing what they find successful and that's entertainment. 

This video.. I turned my brain off and just watched Linus nerd out on some dumb LCD for a few minutes. It wasn't that serious.. for me at least.

I mean yeah I guess so. 🤑

I don't know how much free time you have but I do not have enough to watch/hear useless information and common sense lol (IMO)

Beyond 4:20 anyways..

5 years ago the Linus Tech Tips Channel was very different to today I am from 2014 on this forum by the way

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

You completely missed their point and accidentally reinforced their point btw.

It was only used to show the problems with ultra wide monitors at their worst. Magnified the problem if you will.

I'm glad you agree with them.

Reinforced their point/claims up to 5 minutes into the video yes and if you want even more proof you could skip till the end section for a conclusion... it's not needed to make a video 25 minutes for it to make sense i believe someone said it was too dull well that's what i call dull... going beyond common gamers sense i guess people don't care about spending 4500 dollars?

45 minutes ago, Redicat said:

4:20 and that stuff is over once again... that is like 1/5 of the video..

Not necessarily. Even if you were correct, it doesn’t need to take up the entire video.

46 minutes ago, Redicat said:

5 years ago the Linus Tech Tips Channel was very different to today I am from 2014 on this forum by the way

you obviously haven’t seen this video 

19 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Reinforced their point/claims up to 5 minutes into the video yes and if you want even more proof you could skip till the end section for a conclusion...

If there’s one thing the tech community likes, it’s having nitty-gritty details instead of a summary.

20 minutes ago, Redicat said:

going beyond common gamers sense i guess people don't care about spending 4500 dollars?

That’s the point of the video. Even if it didn’t go into depth enough, the amount of people who are watching that video as a review of the monitor is astronomical.

9 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Reinforced their point/claims up to 5 minutes into the video yes and if you want even more proof you could skip till the end section for a conclusion... it's not needed to make a video 25 minutes for it to make sense i believe someone said it was too dull well that's what i call dull... going beyond common gamers sense i guess people don't care about spending 4500 dollars?

So, you clearly hated the content, and now you feel the need to sit here and harp on how terrible it was ad nauseum, as well as having some obsession with the 4:20 timestamp.  Because that's important, apparently.

Anyways, now I'm going to pick apart some of your "arguments" that you've spent way too much time making:

This should have been a Techquickie YouTube video since there hasn't been ANYTHING relevant tested in practice about the Monitor just Gaming and Emulation which wasn't even intended for the monitor to use for so it seems more for entertainment purposes as you told HERE which should have been a Techquickie video afterwards since this isn't really a "Tech Tip" because you haven't tested the monitor for it's intended use which is Signage and the Proticol(s) :

And sure, it's for entertainment here.  No shit, that's *all* LTT does is Entertainment.

He bought a really weird screen to fuck around with and see how things worked.  If he'd decided to do a dive into how digital signage worked?  I imagine that I, and a large part of the audience, would have proceeded to bail.  It's *not* an entertaining subject.

This video is not really Appealing (IN THEORY) because most gamer(s) don't have 4500 euro/dollar or whatever for a Signage Monitor for gaming

No kidding.

He wasn't telling people to buy it.  He bought it because it was goofy and they could explore some really neat aspects of gaming history.  Seeing the Mario and Quake demos on it was REALLY cool.

make a Tech Quickie as the current video with re-editing and a LinusTechTips video earlier or later for all the Tech Tips about the monitor such as how to set up Signage Proticol(s), Serial stuff and software stuff and maybe also hardware setup for intended use as a signage professional monitor eg billboards and the real life implementation of it 

Nah.  Hard pass. 

The vast majority of us are NOT going to give a shit about any of that stuff.  They want eyes on the video, and in depth technical videos about esoteric topics do not generate views.  The video they made was way more interesting.  

I am not, i know...

It's just as accepting the critique and feedback/advice not to stick the head in the sand like an ostrich..

The Internet is not something you just dump shit on it's a series of tubes!!

They're not going to take your feedback, as what you /want/ out of the channel is not what's been getting them views.

If that's /really/ what you want to see?  You need to look for a different channel.  

I want to watch Alex hack a Mini AC Split into a wacky cooling solution (again), I want to see them build another Mineral Oil chilled PC.

I want to watch stupid things done to computers that are absolutely impractical, that anyone with an ounce of common sense wouldn't do, because it cost way too many thousands of dollars, if they weren't getting a return on the money spent.

This video /actually/ had some really interesting content, and diving into how terrible widescreen was for /years/ in gaming, and how things were done to "work around" it as they went was REALLY cool.

If you think that the Audiance does not really have a big enough common sense and IQ? beyond 4:20 i was done with the video... about the failures it's all pretty much common sense to me you don't game on a proffesional billboard display that is 4500 DOLLARS!!    I don't know how much people earn in America but for me as an European that just is very very absurd to spend AT LEAST 500-600 more dollars instead of ANY TOP TIER Ultrawide Gaming Monitor... 

What do you expect a PRO/Business Bill Board to game properly??? man people need to use more common sense than this... 

I don't think people are this stupid idk Linus explained it well

No, I don't assume anyone on the internet has common sense, and you've been doing a phenomenal job of demonstrating why.

At no point did Linus tell anyone to buy it.  In fact, he did the opposite, and said it was a stupid purchase, outside of it's intended use.  He then went on to use it as an object lesson that you OBVIOUSLY didn't watch, because you stopped caring.

You got an idea into your had and decided "I'm right, Linus and LTT who make millions of dollars a year producing youtube videos clearly know less than me, so I'm going to go on the forum and stomp my feet and prove I'm right and they're wrong!"

Hello! I am Julian. D I am 25.

Hmm as a consumer statistics on a YouTube video doesn't really matter It is the quality of the video's but at least the title was correct.. Maybe I should look towards Short Circuit/Tech Linked/Tech Quickie or Video's from the Lab??? Seems like i have been a Veteran here and the Channel used to be more seriously oriented 5 years ago and headed into a different direction. I could look into other YouTube channels from Linus Media Group but would be nice to switch things up and be slightly more technical about the right topic of-course.

Thanks for accepting the feedback ! And being understandable!

You realize that LMG Community's job is to interact with people and be polite.

They said "You're objectively wrong" meaning that the video metrics disagree with what you're saying.

Some combination of:
Like : Dislike 
Viewer Retention
or other metrics they get off the youtube dashboard

Disagree with your assessment that this is the worst video LTT has done.    It was a really interesting watch and I enjoyed it, and clearly other people did too.

IDK Why you're so hardcore about hating the video, but maybe LTT isn't the right channel for the type of consumption you're after?

I don't normally do this, I might get chewed out for responding in this manner, but here goes:

6 hours ago, Redicat said:

This should have been a Techquickie YouTube video since there hasn't been ANYTHING relevant tested in practice about the Monitor just Gaming and Emulation which wasn't even intended for the monitor to use for so it seems more for entertainment purposes as you told HERE which should have been a Techquickie video afterwards since this isn't really a "Tech Tip" because you haven't tested the monitor for it's intended use which is Signage and the Proticol(s)

- TechQuickie is not for hands on videos. Most of the info could've been a TechQuickie theoretically, but it would not have been quick and would not have had demos.
- I'm not going to test the display's validity as a digital sign because there are mere dozens of people looking to purchase digital signs at any given time, and frankly it's just pretty boring. If you want to know how their protocols work, go read a marketing pamphlet on it. If you want to know how serial or networking works, there are plenty of videos out there already covering that.

2. This video is not really Appealing (IN THEORY) because most gamer(s) don't have 4500 euro/dollar or whatever for a Signage Monitor for gaming so all the provided information is pretty much useless outside learning and entertainment purposes because of this professional setup and useless features for the average Gamer which has been featured in the video PSP, Nintendo games etc Counter Strike 2 is AWFUL and refresh rate and everything else about the panel and technology are also irrelevant to gaming (AS YOU TOLD) for its price tag of 4500 euro/dollar which you can get the BEST of the BEST gaming monitor out there which is way better than this biggest piece of dogshit Gaming Monitor (I'm sorry for language) even though it's 86" it has NO curve at all for gaming and the implementation of aspect ratio and stuff like that and I know you have told this in your conclusions so don't flame me for that it's because it's on The END of the video which is a complete waste of time to watch IMO as a nerd who wants to learn a lot also the click-bait thumbnail and title does not mention a signage monitor at all........

- If it's not appealing, it wouldn't be performing well. Views and watch time are both above average. Your opinion is not shared by the average viewer of the channel
- Being appealing "in theory" is only valid if the video weren't already out. It is out. It is appealing. I regret to inform you that you are objectively wrong.
- We are a learning and entertainment channel. It's literally the whole thing we do.
- This display and video are relevant to gaming if you want a demo of how widescreen works
- For being "a nerd who wants to learn" you sure do have a lot to complain about for a video that covers an educational topic for educational purposes. It sounds like what you're looking for is more of an advertisement, and I think if you asked LG they could probably provide you with some demo videos of the different features of the display you have no interest in purchasing.
- The "click-bait" thumbnail is a really long monitor and Linus. The video contains the monitor. The video contains Linus. The monitor is 86" in size, as declared in the thumbnail. It is, in fact, a monitor, whether it's meant to be used as a sign or not.

3. The potential Audience would be X2 (IN THEORY) if you uploaded both on Tech Quickie and LinusTechTips as explained above you would make a Tech Quickie as the current video with re-editing and a LinusTechTips video earlier or later for all the Tech Tips about the monitor such as how to set up Signage Proticol(s), Serial stuff and software stuff and maybe also hardware setup for intended use as a signage professional monitor eg billboards and the real life implementation of it explained as/like these video's in practice however as the video is already made it would be difficult i certainly understand that but take it for next time as feedback 🙂  (see video's below for inspiration 💌

- You assume that:

1. TechQuickie has the same sized audience as LTT
  2. There's 0 overlap with LTT's audience
  3. The interest in this monitor can last longer than 1 video.

The last point might be true (but likely isn't) and those first 2 points are absolutely incorrect

- The audience for signage protocols is very small
- In order to set everything up for use as a digital sign, we would need the infrastructure for it, which would cost --potentially-- another several thousand dollars and, more importantly, take more space and time. Time = Money, as we covered in the video.

I do appreciate your feedback, though I think you could really benefit from practicing a bit of brevity in the future. If you had've said "I would've like to see more about the digital sign protocols" it would've conveyed the exact same information as your very format-heavy wall of text.

2 minutes ago, TannerMcCoolman said:

I don't normally do this, I might get chewed out for responding in this manner, but here goes:

I hope you don't get chewed out, but I whole-heartedly agree with you.

Edit:  Also as someone who has looked at digital signage apps in the past (at my current job) I have 0 interest in watching videos on it.

It's boring, dry, and just not that interesting. 

I enjoyed how the extreme example of this niche display was used to frame a brief rundown on how widescreen displays have been used and supported. Cool video 👍

23 hours ago, tkitch said:

I hope you don't get chewed out, but I whole-heartedly agree with you.

Edit:  Also as someone who has looked at digital signage apps in the past (at my current job) I have 0 interest in watching videos on it.

It's boring, dry, and just not that interesting. 

It's a policy violation (a policy that didn't exist before, but things have been kinda crazy and even *I* get in trouble for talking without a pass from Chewie or the exec team these days), but Tanner knows his stuff and has been doing this long enough to both understand how/why we choose topics and how to evaluate the audience's reception to them. His exanation was thorough and accurate and contained less dnakriness than mine probably would have had. I'll vouch for him on this one 

He also snuck in a point that I'd like to reinforce.

We are not a strictly entertainment channel and that's a gross micharacterization. We work hard to make videos that are both entertaining and educational. This one was chock full of what we call 'learning outcomes' and if you watch the whole thing I pretty much guarantee you'll come away with a couple of tidbits you didn't know. 

Not every way of learning has to be a university lecture and our community is packed with passionate people whose love of technology was ignited by our videos. 

If you don't think you're learning anything, then that just means weve done our job super well 🙂

23 hours ago, TannerMcCoolman said:

- If it's not appealing, it wouldn't be performing well.

I agree, but uh

23 hours ago, TannerMcCoolman said:

- The "click-bait" thumbnail is a really long monitor and Linus. The video contains the monitor. The video contains Linus. The monitor is 86" in size, as declared in the thumbnail. It is, in fact, a monitor, whether it's meant to be used as a sign or not.

I think he might’ve meant the intro to the video itself. I’m not entirely sure.

49 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

This one was chock full of what we call 'learning outcomes' and if you watch the whole thing I pretty much guarantee you'll come away with a couple of tidbits you didn't know. 

For me, I didn’t know how far back the idea of widescreen monitors had existed. I thought it was an industry trend that had just happened in the last couple of years. 

• 2 weeks later...

How wasn't PCGamingWiki mentioned at all? WSGF has lost a bit of its steam in the last years due to fixes on the site being falsely flagged as malware by Google, they moved to Discord but the community doesn't seem to be so active. There are a lot of older games with widescreen/ultrawide/multimonitor support that aren't filled or just partially filled on WSGF, but are well documented on PCGW, I myself being a modder try to do my part too.