Wanting to upgrade but don't know much about displays.

KyroEX

I have been using an Alienware AW2518HF for about 6 years now, and I feel like 1080p is no longer cutting it. I love nearly everything about this monitor except for the resolution and havnt been able to definitively decide on an upgrade that I'd be comfortable with.

Looking for something within  the $300-$500 price range, 1440p, and 160-240hz

I'd really appreciate some suggestions, and apologies if this seems pointless.

Same over here... In addition, I don't have a lot of experience in this realm. I know that I don't want to spend more than $500, and I know that it should be at least 144 Hz, but I am not sure if 1440p is enough for the future or if I should go directly to 4K.

For around $300, I'd recommend the AOC Q27G3XMN. It's a bit slower than comparable IPS models, but it has a 336-zone backlight and VA-typical deep blacks, plus plenty of brightness, which results in a good HDR experience. HDR is probably the biggest single upgrade you can make from a regular 1080p IPS gaming monitor.

If HDR isn't as important to you and you don't want a VA monitor, which is known to have poorer response times in darker scenes, the LG 27GP850-B is another great all-rounder that performs well in everything but HDR.

Typically, I don't recommend spending much more than $350 on a 1440p monitor because you don't get much out of the extra money spent until you hit the $600-700 range where OLED models become available, which are the next big upgrade over LCD monitors in general.

It's also worth taking a look at this video with recommendations for every budget:

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 5/8/2024 at 6:11 AM, Stahlmann said:

For around $300, I'd recommend the AOC Q27G3XMN. It's a bit slower than comparable IPS models, but it has a 336-zone backlight and VA-typical deep blacks, plus plenty of brightness, which results in a good HDR experience. HDR is probably the biggest single upgrade you can make from a regular 1080p IPS gaming monitor.

If HDR isn't as important to you and you don't want a VA monitor, which is known to have poorer response times in darker scenes, the LG 27GP850-B is another great all-rounder that performs well in everything but HDR.

Typically, I don't recommend spending much more than $350 on a 1440p monitor because you don't get much out of the extra money spent until you hit the $600-700 range where OLED models become available, which are the next big upgrade over LCD monitors in general.

It's also worth taking a look at this video with recommendations for every budget:

Thank you, this is super helpful! I'll check them out