Where is my throttling coming from?

Mr Popo96

I've recently been doing a fair amount of upgrading to my build yet I feel like it's still not giving me the full potential if that makes sense? I'm playing most games on the same settings as before the upgrades with only a 10-20fps difference?

Build before:

R7 2700x 4.1ghz

32gb corsair 3600mhz

2060 oc

Asus x470 pro

Main storage was solid

Upgraded build:

R9 5950x 4.55ghz (can't seem to get it any higher stably)

64gb corsair 3600mhz

4060 oc

Asus x470 pro still

All storage on ssd, boot on separate m.2, games on 2x2tb ssd and vr games on 2tb m.2

I've been messing with settings galore but nothing seems to help. Everything on windows side is set to performance and all that, same with nvidia control centre. Everything has all its newest drivers. The cpu is on a 360 aio rad aswell and both it and the gpu never go above 50c. Any help would be appreciated!!

Check gpu clock speed. Cpu speed is fine cause it's locked.

Also check less commonly talked about temps like vrm temps, vram temps, etc. with hwinfo.

Make sure your system is free of bloatware.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

Which game?
Also looks like you did manual CPU OC and therefore reduced max CPU boost clock by around 400MHz.

1 hour ago, Mr Popo96 said:

Is this a manual setting/limit? Have you tried PBO?

64gb corsair 3600mhz

2 or 4 sticks?

Upgraded build:

4060 oc

Asus x470 pro still

All storage on ssd, boot on separate m.2, games on 2x2tb ssd and vr games on 2tb m.2

Are you PCIe lane limiting your 4060 with all the M.2s?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 hour ago, rippy4500 said:

Check gpu clock speed. Cpu speed is fine cause it's locked.

Also check less commonly talked about temps like vrm temps, vram temps, etc. with hwinfo.

Make sure your system is free of bloatware.

Gpu speed is on a curve overclock with nvidias overclocking software. The memory on it is also boosted by 200mhz. I could try and find a stable higher clock myself if that would be better? But I've checked hwinfo and all the temps are staying around the 50-60 range under testing loads, rarely go above 60. I go through with ccleaner often to remove any unwanted rubbish.

11 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Is this a manual setting/limit? Have you tried PBO?

2 or 4 sticks?

I did the testing with Asus' overclocking software, once I found stability I put it in the bios and it runs 4.55 and sometimes over under load but sits around 3 or lower when idle.

I got 4 sticks of 16gb, 2 sets of this: CMK32GX4M2D3600C18

I have set in the bios to give the gpu priority in the lanes so I don't think it's being limited? I can double check though!

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Which game?
Also looks like you did manual CPU OC and therefore reduced max CPU boost clock by around 400MHz.

Games like warhhamer darktide, sea of thieves, starfield, no man's sky. All used to be on high and still only on high with the 10-20 fps boost. When the cpu is under load both task manager and hwinfo say its going up to the 4.55ghz? 

23 minutes ago, Mr Popo96 said:

I did the testing with Asus' overclocking software, once I found stability I put it in the bios and it runs 4.55 and sometimes over under load but sits around 3 or lower when idle.

I got 4 sticks of 16gb, 2 sets of this: CMK32GX4M2D3600C18

I have set in the bios to give the gpu priority in the lanes so I don't think it's being limited? I can double check though!

Thats...not a great way to do it, disable all clocking limits and enable PBO. Secondly you menitoned ASUS, get rid of armory crate. 

4 sticks are okay, but run slower than 2, is XMP/EXPO/D.O.C.P enabled?

If youve given priority then should be fine, will limit your M.2 drives to 2 lanes which is still plenty, are they M.2 sata or M.2 NVMe?

System specs:

25 minutes ago, Mr Popo96 said:

Gpu speed is on a curve overclock with nvidias overclocking software. The memory on it is also boosted by 200mhz. I could try and find a stable higher clock myself if that would be better? But I've checked hwinfo and all the temps are staying around the 50-60 range under testing loads, rarely go above 60. I go through with ccleaner often to remove any unwanted rubbish.

Try running a few benchmarks with your GPU and comparing with other average scores for your GPU, youshould either be in and around their scores or slightly higher with the overclock, if youre lower then the overclock is causing instability and your GPU is basically downtuning to stay stable, you can lose performance with too high a memory overclock even if its entirely stable from what you can see

System specs:

19 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Thats...not a great way to do it, disable all clocking limits and enable PBO. Secondly you menitoned ASUS, get rid of armory crate. 

4 sticks are okay, but run slower than 2, is XMP/EXPO/D.O.C.P enabled?

If youve given priority then should be fine, will limit your M.2 drives to 2 lanes which is still plenty, are they M.2 sata or M.2 NVMe?

I did try and let the mobo choose the clock speeds with the auto tuner asus has but it never went above 4.2?

Xmp is active and running the sticks at max speeds. 

They're both nvme 

20 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Try running a few benchmarks with your GPU and comparing with other average scores for your GPU, youshould either be in and around their scores or slightly higher with the overclock, if youre lower then the overclock is causing instability and your GPU is basically downtuning to stay stable, you can lose performance with too high a memory overclock even if its entirely stable from what you can see

I've done benchmarks with heavenly and cinebench. Heavenly it's sitting around 3800 points and cinebench it sits a little above the 4060 base gpus on there. When I have the nvidia overclock software up it doesn't show any signs of pulling back? 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popo96 said:

I did try and let the mobo choose the clock speeds with the auto tuner asus has but it never went above 4.2?

Xmp is active and running the sticks at max speeds. 

They're both nvme 

Again, dont use any of ASUS's software, its known to be pretty awful, just use the CPUs own PBO setting in BIOS, its much better, you should be able to hit your max rated clock speed using it

And thats grand for the RAM and M.2's

System specs:

5 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Again, dont use any of ASUS's software, its known to be pretty awful, just use the CPUs own PBO setting in BIOS, its much better, you should be able to hit your max rated clock speed using it

And thats grand for the RAM and M.2's

I'll give that a go and see if anything changes. I'll let you know if it gives any promising results! Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Mr Popo96 said:

I'll give that a go and see if anything changes. I'll let you know if it gives any promising results! Thank you!

You can also try Curve Optimizer (along with PBO). Its under Advanced/AMD Overclocking. It will help undervolt and you can override the max boost clock. Just look up guides on youtube or something.

On my 5800X I have the curve optimizer set to all core -18, and the boost clock set to +50, meaning it will boost to 4.85GHz single core in stead of the stock 4.8, and it reduced the temps by ~10C 

38 minutes ago, Mr Popo96 said:

The Auto tuner tool is also a manual OC, it just (poorly) automates the finding-what-works part. And manual OC on Ryzen is basically worthless unless you only does heavily multithreaded work.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

3 hours ago, Mr Popo96 said:

I've recently been doing a fair amount of upgrading to my build yet I feel like it's still not giving me the full potential if that makes sense? I'm playing most games on the same settings as before the upgrades with only a 10-20fps difference?

Build before:

R7 2700x 4.1ghz

32gb corsair 3600mhz

2060 oc

Asus x470 pro

Main storage was solid

Upgraded build:

64gb corsair 3600mhz

4060 oc

Asus x470 pro still

I've been messing with settings galore but nothing seems to help. Everything on windows side is set to performance and all that, same with nvidia control centre. Everything has all its newest drivers. The cpu is on a 360 aio rad aswell and both it and the gpu never go above 50c. Any help would be appreciated!!

4.55GHz max while gaming ? If best core that's low, my 5900X reaches 4.95

Then a 4060 isn't a massive upgrade over a 2060, maybe +30% - Why did you get that instead of at least a 4070? Really not good for the price and 8GB VRAM only ...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

53 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

4.55GHz max while gaming ? If best core that's low, my 5900X reaches 4.95

Then a 4060 isn't a massive upgrade over a 2060, maybe +30% - Why did you get that instead of at least a 4070? Really not good for the price and 8GB VRAM only ...

From what I saw that's as high as it was going, but others have said setting it to 4.55 might have been limiting it so I've taken that off now and about to start doing tests.

At the time the 4060 was in my price range and it was on sale, the 4070s were all an extra 3-400. I might get something better in the near future if prices keep dropping like they seem to be.

30 minutes ago, Mr Popo96 said:

From what I saw that's as high as it was going, but others have said setting it to 4.55 might have been limiting it so I've taken that off now and about to start doing tests.

At the time the 4060 was in my price range and it was on sale, the 4070s were all an extra 3-400. I might get something better in the near future if prices keep dropping like they seem to be.

Intel, AMD and Nvidia are rumored to be dropping new GPUs around autumn or Q3/Q4 so prices should drop further then, especially with all 3 brands releasing around the same time and the competition that brings

System specs:

2 hours ago, Tegneren said:

You can also try Curve Optimizer (along with PBO). Its under Advanced/AMD Overclocking. It will help undervolt and you can override the max boost clock. Just look up guides on youtube or something.

On my 5800X I have the curve optimizer set to all core -18, and the boost clock set to +50, meaning it will boost to 4.85GHz single core in stead of the stock 4.8, and it reduced the temps by ~10C 

The Auto tuner tool is also a manual OC, it just (poorly) automates the finding-what-works part. And manual OC on Ryzen is basically worthless unless you only does heavily multithreaded work.

Not sure what's going on with it now but whatever I try and do or change it just isn't keeping any settings. Just defaults back to tpu1 and keeps the cpu at 4ghz. Gonna go ahead and cry now 😭 this damn machine 

25 minutes ago, Mr Popo96 said:

Not sure what's going on with it now but whatever I try and do or change it just isn't keeping any settings. Just defaults back to tpu1 and keeps the cpu at 4ghz. Gonna go ahead and cry now 😭 this damn machine 

is your BIOS up to date, an did you reset it before trying to activate PBO/Curve optimizer?

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

34 minutes ago, Mr Popo96 said:

If the ASUS software is accessed from in the OS, it may be conflicting and just shutting down PBO, try and get rid of the software altogether along with @Tegneren's suggestion above

System specs:

12 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

is your BIOS up to date, an did you reset it before trying to activate PBO/Curve optimizer?

Bios is up to date and I did reset it before messing about. Its finally keeping settings changes after another reset. Not sure what messed it up but gonna try and change bits one at a time and go from there. Its currently sitting at 4.6ghz

Also, on cinebench its only showing 2 squares being worked on, on the multi core test? All cores are being used though, is that right?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popo96 said:

Bios is up to date and I did reset it before messing about. Its finally keeping settings changes after another reset. Not sure what messed it up but gonna try and change bits one at a time and go from there. Its currently sitting at 4.6ghz

What are you using for monitoring the clock speeds?

9 minutes ago, Mr Popo96 said:

Also, on cinebench its only showing 2 squares being worked on, on the multi core test? All cores are being used though, is that right?

Have you manually set the multicore to 2 threads? You can adjust that yourself

System specs:

2 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Have you manually set the multicore to 2 threads? You can adjust that yourself

No, it's set to 32 threads? 

5 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

What are you using for monitoring the clock speeds?

Task manager and hwinfo