Should I buy a used AIO water cooler? NZXT Kraken elite

I'm really looking into buying a new CPU cooler, specifically the NZXT Kraken Elite preferably 360mm, I know its expensive but I like aesthetics. Now, would it a good idea to buy a used one off eBay or something? I have had an AIO leak on me before and kill my graphics card, but I was refunded. But because it's used and I'm not the original purchaser, should I still buy a used Kraken Elite? I've been eyeing this listing on eBay

Nope.

Let alone an NZXT one.

You can get a high end air cooler for less than that.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

9 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Nope.

Let alone an NZXT one.

You can get a high end air cooler for less than that.

I know, I said I like aesthetics, so I will most likely be going for water cooling. Planning on putting it in the h6 flow.

3 hours ago, DahPython said:

I've been eyeing this listing on eBay

Try to ask how long has the AIO been used

AIO part degraded over time, especially the pump and unless you have specific technical skill to tear down the pump, most people would just replace the whole AIO

Most AIO has 5-7 years of warranty, so with the price on eBay that is half of MSRP, I would hope that the user hasn't use the AIO for more than 2 years

NZXT product performs good, but not great, especially with the premium price tag but pale in comparison to most other brand. The positive side of NZXT kraken, it surely does looks really aesthetic when paired with NZXT case to keep it on the same ecosystem

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

6 hours ago, DahPython said:

I'm really looking into buying a new CPU cooler, specifically the NZXT Kraken Elite preferably 360mm, I know its expensive but I like aesthetics. Now, would it a good idea to buy a used one off eBay or something? I have had an AIO leak on me before and kill my graphics card, but I was refunded. But because it's used and I'm not the original purchaser, should I still buy a used Kraken Elite? I've been eyeing this listing on eBay

Open box but never used, you run the risk of missing parts. 

Used carries a lot more risk so no, don't. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

14 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Open box but never used, you run the risk of missing parts. 

Used carries a lot more risk so no, don't. 

It sold....maybe he bought it?  😉

It probably would have been okay but yeah, I'd be pretty hesitant on a used one that I am buying online.   I was looking at a used one - but I would meet up with the seller.

Ebay is different.

Generally, isn't NZXT AIOs pretty expensive - I have the impression that NZXT and Corsair AIOs are too of the most expensive brands - would that be accurate?   

AIOs are prone to permeation over time, especially with a high heatload CPU, and/or a very warm environment. I would not buy a used AIO unless it was from someone I know, and I knew the history of his PC. Maybe the seller was not impressed, or got cold feet due to price/perf. ratio, or maybe it was old and worn out, or maybe he damaged it then said feck it and put it on ebay.. or maybe there is nothing wrong with it 😄

We may never know..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

9 hours ago, Paul17 said:

It sold....maybe he bought it?  😉

It probably would have been okay but yeah, I'd be pretty hesitant on a used one that I am buying online.   I was looking at a used one - but I would meet up with the seller.

Ebay is different.

Generally, isn't NZXT AIOs pretty expensive - I have the impression that NZXT and Corsair AIOs are too of the most expensive brands - would that be accurate?   

Asus, NZXT, Phantex, DeepCool, Cooler Master, EVGA, Gigabyte, Thermaltake on NewEgg, and they're all being sold for over $300 by third-party vendors, some of whom are charging a large shipping fee, too.

If you go to Amazon, you'll find even higher 3rd-party prices and even more brands.

It's a race to the greed pool.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

9 hours ago, freeagent said:

AIOs are prone to permeation over time, especially with a high heatload CPU, and/or a very warm environment. I would not buy a used AIO unless it was from someone I know, and I knew the history of his PC. Maybe the seller was not impressed, or got cold feet due to price/perf. ratio, or maybe it was old and worn out, or maybe he damaged it then said feck it and put it on ebay.. or maybe there is nothing wrong with it 😄

We may never know..

Hmmmm....interesting....so, did you comment on my question about buying a used Thermalright Frozen Edge on here? 🙂   

As usual, I just sit on the fence so I didn't buy it and the other problem was I didn't want to drive where he lives and he doesn't want to drive to where I am (but, there might be a reason to drive pretty close so I left it up to him) - it was a savings of $40 or so - I can't remember now.   I am guessing you would advise me to pass for your reasons expressed above?  🙂  

4 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

Hmmmm....interesting....so, did you comment on my question about buying a used Thermalright Frozen Edge on here? 🙂   

As usual, I just sit on the fence so I didn't buy it and the other problem was I didn't want to drive where he lives and he doesn't want to drive to where I am (but, there might be a reason to drive pretty close so I left it up to him) - it was a savings of $40 or so - I can't remember now.   I am guessing you would advise me to pass for your reasons expressed above?  🙂  

TR is already very inexpensive, at least in the US, so why buy it used when it can be had for so little, Paul? Yes, I really don't think it's a good idea to buy used, especially from someone you don't know. Now, if they have a receipt, you might think that the AIO was only used for a maximum of now minus the delivery date. However, if they person has purchased that particular AIO several times over time, you could be looking at a newer receipt for an older product unless there's a serial number on the product and paper. Fraud has ramped up a lot with the Chinese (and others) trying to destroy markets with fakes. My uncle buys and sells antique glass objects and he has told me about this problem. I tried selling some antique records (LPs) on eBay and the buyer (probably just one although there were multiple consecutive offers) did their best to trick me into not just going off eBay but to sending gift cards. They sweetened the "deal" by offering to pay more than the whole thing was worth AND wanted to send it to someone else's address. Maybe the guy's legit, but you never know.

As I think I told you before (and others), why get the Edge when the Notte and Magic Scenic V2 have much stronger pumps for probably $10 more?

40 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

You can buy whatever you want, you are a big boy Paul. I wouldn’t buy used. They are cheap as it is. Good job at saving some shipping money 🙂

31 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

As I think I told you before (and others), why get the Edge when the Notte and Magic Scenic V2 have much stronger pumps for probably $10 more?

The pump revs higher, doesn’t mean it’s stronger. The fans are usually the difference in price.

54 minutes ago, freeagent said:

You can buy whatever you want, you are a big boy Paul. I wouldn’t buy used. They are cheap as it is. Good job at saving some shipping money 🙂

The pump revs higher, doesn’t mean it’s stronger. The fans are usually the difference in price.

Ok, please look at your Edge box and tell me the flow rate and lift.

14 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Ok, please look at your Edge box and tell me the flow rate and lift.

It does not give that info. Does yours?

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

It does not give that info. Does yours?

1500 mL/min, 1.5M lift

3 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

1500 mL/min, 1.5M lift

Neat. Mine just says 66.5cfm at 1500rpm lol. And 1.53mm H2whoa are those weak.

3 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Neat. Mine just says 66.5cfm at 1500rpm lol. And 1.53mm H2whoa are those weak.

I wonder why they put it on Notte & Magic, but not the Edge? Hmmm...Could it be the same reason that their website is sorely lacking in complete data?

8 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I wonder why they put it on Notte & Magic, but not the Edge? Hmmm...Could it be the same reason that their website is sorely lacking in complete data?

I own a few.. of their coolers, boxes range from brown with info, to brown with more info, to glossy images and info, to glossy images and more info. I actually have the Aqua Elite, but its the same thing as the edge, and that other one with the 420 rad. Just different fans. Mine is coming up to 1 year old now, with about 9 months of hard use. Still works pretty good.. maybe I will try yours.

10 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I own a few.. of their coolers, boxes range from brown with info, to brown with more info, to glossy images and info, to glossy images and more info. I actually have the Aqua Elite, but its the same thing as the edge, and that other one with the 420 rad. Just different fans. Mine is coming up to 1 year old now, with about 9 months of hard use. Still works pretty good.. maybe I will try yours.

How about the fans? After 3 or so months, I started hearing harmonic resonance. Otherwise, quite happy so far. Oops, lift is 1.6 M not 1.5.

44 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

How about the fans? After 3 or so months, I started hearing harmonic resonance. Otherwise, quite happy so far. Oops, lift is 1.6 M not 1.5.

44 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

The fans are ok, the cooler with stock fans is pretty quiet, performance is good

On 4/26/2024 at 9:27 AM, freeagent said:

The fans are ok, the cooler with stock fans is pretty quiet, performance is good

I finished my Frozen Notte review and put up the video yesterday. While doing that video, I realized WHY the Frozen Magic Scenic V2 is slightly stronger: better CFM, slightly better RPM, and 2 more blades. Also, no LEDs on the fans, whereas the Notte has LEDs on the fans. 😉 😛 @NorKris 😄 😆

4 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I finished my Frozen Notte review and put up the video yesterday. While doing that video, I realized WHY the Frozen Magic Scenic V2 is slightly stronger: better CFM, slightly better RPM, and 2 more blades. Also, no LEDs on the fans, whereas the Notte has LEDs on the fans. 😉 😛 @NorKris 😄 😆

why u tag me?

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

why u tag me?

Because you love LEDs, right?