Advice on new laptop for photo/video and thin/light

Hey ya everyone,

I need some advice on a new laptop for personel use.

I do some light photo/video editing (manly photo) in Lightroom (Canon CR3 files) and Resolve (Studio), most some 1080p 50 or maybe 4K IPB. Dont need to back up on the laptop it self (i have external back up running) so a 512 GB internal is fine for most.

I have an self build windows pc (Ryzen 7 7800x3D with 4070 Super) with OLED screen so for hardcore color grading i will do it at home. I have a MSI Stealth (I7 with gtx 1660TI) Laptop now but its getting old and kinda heavy (4/5 years).

For the context, I work in television (Vision Engineer) in my home country The Netherlands. I did a study in Audio Visual Production (camera, editing etc etc). So i know what im doing ig 馃檪

This summer i need to go a couple weeks to france for work and i travel a lot in a year (personal and work).聽

So i want something with:

Long battery duration (my MSI is empty in 2/3 hours and its kinda annoying)

Good power for editing

Accurate screencolor (dont mind if its LCD)

I dont have a really specific budget but under 2k (euros) would be amazing.

What i have in mind right new is:

Macbook Air 13/15" M3 with 16GB Ram and 512 GB internal

Macbook Pro 14" (Is expensiver but i dont know if its worth)

Asus Zenbook 13S OLED

So, do you have any suggetions or tips? Or do i need to wait (if i go with apple) till the new event on the 7 of may?

Greets and thanks already,

Tris

2 minutes ago, Trissssss said:

Hey ya everyone,

I need some advice on a new laptop for personel use.

I do some light photo/video editing (manly photo) in Lightroom (Canon CR3 files) and Resolve (Studio), most some 1080p 50 or maybe 4K IPB. Dont need to back up on the laptop it self (i have external back up running) so a 512 GB internal is fine for most.

I have an self build windows pc (Ryzen 7 7800x3D with 4070 Super) with OLED screen so for hardcore color grading i will do it at home. I have a MSI Stealth (I7 with gtx 1660TI) Laptop now but its getting old and kinda heavy (4/5 years).

For the context, I work in television (Vision Engineer) in my home country The Netherlands. I did a study in Audio Visual Production (camera, editing etc etc). So i know what im doing ig 馃檪

This summer i need to go a couple weeks to france for work and i travel a lot in a year (personal and work).聽

So i want something with:

Long battery duration (my MSI is empty in 2/3 hours and its kinda annoying)

Good power for editing

Accurate screencolor (dont mind if its LCD)

I dont have a really specific budget but under 2k (euros) would be amazing.

What i have in mind right new is:

Macbook Air 13/15" M3 with 16GB Ram and 512 GB internal

Macbook Pro 14" (Is expensiver but i dont know if its worth)

Asus Zenbook 13S OLED

So, do you have any suggetions or tips? Or do i need to wait (if i go with apple) till the new event on the 7 of may?

Greets and thanks already,

Tris

I'd suggest the 15-inch MacBook Air M3. It's definitely thin and light, and lasts a long time on battery. The screen is big enough that you'll have breathing room for your editing software. The only catches are the lack of an SD reader (not necessarily an issue depending on how you get your CR3 files) and the absence of a fan. It's a bit slower under long, intense workloads than a MacBook Pro M3.

I'd consider the MacBook Pro worthwhile, but mainly if you're either seriously straining your computer or crave the features it has (mainly the 120Hz mini-LED display and SD reader).

Both Macs have an advantage over at least some Windows laptops: they don't throttle on battery power, and they last relatively long with heavy workloads. That's helpful if you have to finish a photo or video project while you're out.

ASUS generally makes great laptops, and I wouldn't mind a Zenbook 13S in a pinch; it's just not my first pick for audiovisual editing. Besides, I think you'll have fun getting used to macOS.

In terms of wanting:
-Thin, light
-Great video editing hardware

-Good battery

An M3 Mac Book is head and shoulders above anything else.

Yeah, if you're okay with MacOS, you absolutely want the M3 air. There is VERY little differentiation for the MBP

5950X/3080Ti primary rig聽 |聽 1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers聽 |聽 200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup