Where can I get advice about Tailscale?

asheenlevrai

Hello 🙂

I started using tailscale to backup one of my Synology NAS at home onto a remote Synology NAS at work. I needed to use tailscale because the network at work is securized in a way that wouldn't let me connect from the outside otherwise in order to perform backup tasks.

Now I have a few questions about tailscale. I need advice to help me troubleshoot a few difficulties I am experiencing when trying to use it on other devices. I usually get better (more useful) advice from user forums rather than from support services, thus I was looking for a tailscale user forum but couldn't find any (it seems there is one but read-only for non-admins).

Should I ask my questions here, hoping some of you could reply me or is there a better place for me to seek help?

Thank you very much in advance for your advice.

Best,

-a-

4 hours ago, asheenlevrai said:

Hello 🙂

I started using tailscale to backup one of my Synology NAS at home onto a remote Synology NAS at work. I needed to use tailscale because the network at work is securized in a way that wouldn't let me connect from the outside otherwise in order to perform backup tasks.

Now I have a few questions about tailscale. I need advice to help me troubleshoot a few difficulties I am experiencing when trying to use it on other devices. I usually get better (more useful) advice from user forums rather than from support services, thus I was looking for a tailscale user forum but couldn't find any (it seems there is one but read-only for non-admins).

Should I ask my questions here, hoping some of you could reply me or is there a better place for me to seek help?

Thank you very much in advance for your advice.

Best,

-a-

Wouldn't it have been easier to just ask the question to begin with?

< removed by moderation >

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

There are ample youtube videos about it.

I also suggest looking into zerotier.

I just started using it.

It is extremely useful.

You will need some networking knowledge.

Main Machine: CPU: 5800X3D  RAM: 32GB  GPU: RTX 3080  M/B: ASUS B550-E Storage: 2 x 256GB NVME boot, 1/2 TB NVME OS: Windows 10, Ubuntu 22.04

Server1:  M92p micro  CPU: i5-3470T  RAM: 8GB OS: Proxmox  Virtual Machines: Opnsense router, LXC containers: netboot server, download manager

Server2: CPU: 3600X  RAM: 64GB M/B MSI B450 Tomahawk  OS: Proxmox  Virtual machines: Windows 10, 3 x Ubuntu Linux, Truenas scale (16TB logical storage)

Thanks @Alex Atkin UK and @ianm_ozzy. So I'll ask my question here (in a new thread) and also look into zerotier to figure out what it is and how it can help me.

Best,

-a-

@ianm_ozzy It looks like using ZeroTier on DSM7 requires Docker CLI.

Although I heard of Docker and I believe I have a vague idea of its concept, I am not at all familiar with it. I will thus keep this option as a "plan B".

Thank you for suggestion, though.

34 minutes ago, asheenlevrai said:

@ianm_ozzy It looks like using ZeroTier on DSM7 requires Docker CLI.

Although I heard of Docker and I believe I have a vague idea of its concept, I am not at all familiar with it. I will thus keep this option as a "plan B".

Thank you for suggestion, though.

I thin zeroteir may be based on the wireguard vpn, but not 100%.

You do not need knowledge of docker to use zerotier.

You setup an account in zerotier.  Then setup 'network' in zeroteir through the website.

Download the zerotier software and connect to the 'network'

In  linux it is just a few simple command lines.

Then in the zerotier website, approve the connections.

The client (windows, mac, phone linux, IOS) are assigned IP addresses in the network.

I have not used tailscale, but expect it to be similar.

Main Machine: CPU: 5800X3D  RAM: 32GB  GPU: RTX 3080  M/B: ASUS B550-E Storage: 2 x 256GB NVME boot, 1/2 TB NVME OS: Windows 10, Ubuntu 22.04

Server1:  M92p micro  CPU: i5-3470T  RAM: 8GB OS: Proxmox  Virtual Machines: Opnsense router, LXC containers: netboot server, download manager

Server2: CPU: 3600X  RAM: 64GB M/B MSI B450 Tomahawk  OS: Proxmox  Virtual machines: Windows 10, 3 x Ubuntu Linux, Truenas scale (16TB logical storage)

12 minutes ago, ianm_ozzy said:

I thin zeroteir may be based on the wireguard vpn, but not 100%.

You do not need knowledge of docker to use zerotier.

You setup an account in zerotier.  Then setup 'network' in zeroteir through the website.

Download the zerotier software and connect to the 'network'

In  linux it is just a few simple command lines.

Then in the zerotier website, approve the connections.

The client (windows, mac, phone linux, IOS) are assigned IP addresses in the network.

I have not used tailscale, but expect it to be similar.

There is no longer a ZeroTier package for DSM7 (cf link in previous post). There was one for DSM6, though.

32 minutes ago, asheenlevrai said:

There is no longer a ZeroTier package for DSM7 (cf link in previous post). There was one for DSM6, though.

That sucks. It seems they wnt you to buy a new NAS.

I expect you have read this already:

https://docs.zerotier.com/synology/

On 4/24/2024 at 9:18 PM, asheenlevrai said:

That's literally the link I posted earlier

OK. I suppose it it best not being err recovering from the previous  night when replying.

Anyway I have been playing around with zerotier more.

I plan to have my router as the only  machine on the home network connected to it (opnsense).

Appropriate ports will be forwarded to a virtual machine with reverse proxy manager (nginx) - then on to  services I want to access (https)

It is possible to add routes to the your home network it seems, from within  zerotier. I also expect within tailscale as well.

There are claims that no data is collected by zerotier. It is probably the same with tailscale.

I DO NOT TRUST THEM.

I am using truenas scale at home, with standard windows shares.

Your NAS does the same I assume.

I intend to access windows shares through a key only secure shell  access through the zerotier network (to the Virtual machine), with  the appropriate port forwards to the NAS.

4 hours ago, ianm_ozzy said:

I DO NOT TRUST THEM.

If you don’t trust them…. Just use wireguard. The only data those other options can collect would potentially be IP’s and usage amount, but they wouldn’t know what your data is since they are using WireGuard as the transport mechanism anyways. But if you don’t trust them, cut them out entirely and run WireGuard.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

10 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

If you don’t trust them…. Just use wireguard. The only data those other options can collect would potentially be IP’s and usage amount, but they wouldn’t know what your data is since they are using WireGuard as the transport mechanism anyways. But if you don’t trust them, cut them out entirely and run WireGuard.

I have a vps with both openvpn ( to route traffic) and wireguard installed..

I will be dumping that soon, and using a much much cheaper one for dns only, with unbound, pihole, and zerotier.. I could probably encrypt or tunnel the dns lookups also.

So tailscale & zeortier are really good at  punching through  harsh firewalls. With typical vpn access, it is not always the case.

So all traffic for me over the zerotier network, will be encrypted. Either using https, tunneled through ssh, or maybe encrypted dns.

It will be the same deal, where traffic between  various IPs could be collected, but not the contents.